Hello all, I recently picked up an old laser (pretty sure it’s a 1979) from one of my fathers friends that wanted to get rid of it. Supposedly he hasent sailed for ever and it’s been garage kept at a cabin untouched for 20 something years. However it was kept on a standard small boat trailer with bunks which I believed cause the indentations in the hull, bit squishy in those areas (2 rectangle dents about 3 feet long and on either side of the hull center line)Also the mast step does not hold water but I’m told that’s an easy fix.

So
1. how would I go about doing the repair on the mast step

2. should I worry about the damaged hull and if so how would I fix it

also I don’t intend to race this boat just a boat to sail for fun.

I might be able to send pictures of the hull in a couple days when I return home if you guys want them.

Thanks, can’t wait to hear some responses

Should be able to search the threads for "Laser mast step" which would yield enough info on how to attack that mast step project. Surprised there aren't about 10 posts here yet, usually, everyone is eager to help. Posting pics is always a good place to start here, will get feedback for sure that way. Not sure about the hull until we can see what you are trying to describe. Mast step is easy once you gain access, even with no epoxy/glass experience.

here are some pictures. it doesn't really show up on camera but I also posted a youtube video of the dent in the hull, it flexes in with not too much pressure.
again I believe these dents are here because of the boat sitting on a trailer with bunks for 20 years.

here's the youtube video
IMG_2445.jpg
IMG_2440.jpg
IMG_2441.jpg

I agree with beldar. I'd also strongly recommend getting or building a trailer that supports the boat by the gunwales. The mast step repair isn't hard (unless it totally fails) and even if your work isn't cosmetically pleasing it is hidden from view. The access port is otherwise useful, too.

I agree with beldar. I'd also strongly recommend getting or building a trailer that supports the boat by the gunwales. The mast step repair isn't hard (unless it totally fails) and even if your work isn't cosmetically pleasing it is hidden from view. The access port is otherwise useful, too.
yes right now I am purchasing a seitech dolly with the gunwhale support so I am planning on turning the trailer into a diy right on trailer, will see how that goes.

If you are really concerned, I would consider an inspection port from the sidewall of the cockpit, and see if you can lay down some epoxy/fiberglass at the solid/soft junction where it starts to go soft. I bet the fiberglass is cracked there. But that would be a project and a half for the perceived comfort that it will not present any problems. Best to start sailing and enjoying the boat for what it is, should still be fun.

I have seen lots of lasers with these hull deformations but none so far where it has caused a problem. Fibreglass is surprisingly flexible if pressure is applied over time in a warm environment, unless there is any cracking ignore it. they may even disappear once you have a better trolley for a hot summer.

This is what is inside. I suppose the foam channel is destructed somehow. To repair, I believe its the best way to go via the cockpit, if it is loose from bonding anyway.... but if you cut out the side bottom, you can also inspect the cockpit bonding. The foam stringer inside goes from the transom almost to the keelstep. So entering from outside, you will cut it. Be aware that the cockpit it bonded by a plywood stringer in the middle, and two points , each side in the back pluss draining hole. If the glue is red, it comes loose easyli. On the first pict, its bondes with resin and chopped strand. The middle pict is from a Vanguard (not mine), last pict is mine (1974?), but middle stringer is removed. Showes foam stringers in the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20211102_161736.jpg
    IMG_20211102_161736.jpg
    957 KB · Views: 99
  • Abandoned-Laser-dinghy-hull-disposal.jpg
    Abandoned-Laser-dinghy-hull-disposal.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20211120_141633.jpg
    IMG_20211120_141633.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
I bought my 1986 Laser used about 20 years ago. Soon after I removed the gunwale supports as they didn't fit the hull. After 20 seasons , there are no indentations at all.

I think that these may occur on new hulls that are not fully cured but it has not been a problem for me, and it's easier to get on the trolley

Back