Laser Racing Videos

I love watching the Olympics 2012 medal race 'featuring' the fierce battle between Tom Slingsby and Pavlos Kontides

Laser Heavy Air Slalom
(Unfortunately, the original slalom from the 70's doesn't appear to be on YouTube - I know I have a copy somewhere)

Laser Heavy Air Slalom
(Unfortunately, the original slalom from the 70's doesn't appear to be on YouTube - I know I have a copy somewhere)

Any videos please post! I learn a lot from these. Especially those close World Cup series races.

About that crazy 1973 video:
Putting the sheet between your teeth in heavy breeze? Should be good for the dentist...
Some are going upwind sheeting right off the boom (wow); is that a good idea? Or did they just not have a block?
Is grabbing the sheet and pulling the sail over to facilitate jibing in heavy air a good idea? I imagine it might be, but I have never sailed in that kind of breeze (must have been at least 25 mph).

About that crazy 1973 video:
Putting the sheet between your teeth in heavy breeze? Should be good for the dentist...
Some are going upwind sheeting right off the boom (wow); is that a good idea? Or did they just not have a block?
Is grabbing the sheet and pulling the sail over to facilitate jibing in heavy air a good idea? I imagine it might be, but I have never sailed in that kind of breeze (must have been at least 25 mph).

Just the early days of the boat’s history. People just trying to figure out how to sail the damn thing. How about turning around backwards during the jibe?! I love the wool sweaters and blue jeans and what appear to be football jerseys. The narrator says 40 knt wind against the tide. I sailed the nationals on the bay in 1990. What an awe inspiring venue!

Back