laser race course

g1gaumond

I have trying to find out the actual lenght of a typical laser regatta race course, without much sucess.

Although I am well aware that the course confirguration layout and length, is typically decided by the race committee in light of the conditions on the day of the race.

I am just trying to figure, on average, what would be an typical distance from the starting lign to the windard mark on a windward-leeward course. Any help?

Cheers,

G

The answer is (as you have already surmised):

There is no "one size fits all" answer. If can vary greatly from local club races (especially frostbite type races) on up to World Championships..

To add to the confusion, most now talk about the length of the race in terms of time as opposed to actual distance, ie the races will be 30 mins or 90 mins... and when the wind is a very light, a 30 min race on a twice around w/l course might have legs under .25 mile long, while a 90 minute race in breeze on the same course layout might have legs 1.25 miles long

Greg,

Thanks, it is all I was looking for, a range of length.

Used to racing the cans on large keelboats which much longer courses and was looking for an idea of the amplitude on a Laser course.

Thanks a million.:)

G

Hola.

I too race my laser on the club's beer can races thursday nights and sunday afternoon...there is a portsmouth start for all dinghies, laser, flying scot, fireball, etc. but we all race the same course as the phrf fleet..about 5 miles or shorter depending on weather...

laser rates 217 in phrf terms for sunday pursuit starts

be well

Antolin
on CHEESECAKE full rig 155456

Be sure not to mix your Tylenol with alcohol. Even small amounts (of each) can lead to liver damage. I know.

Thanks for the reminder.

The warning label on my bottle of acetaminophen (the active ingredient of Tylenol) states that this drug may cause liver damage even by itself...

The race will have a target time that may be in the sailing instructions. The length is then based on the wind strength and the average speed the boats sail at. It is also possible to change the length of a race if the wind changes. You may have seen a C flag with a + or - as you round a mark. This is telling you the length of leg has been changed.
Timb

Back