Laser Quality

viktor188924

I have been noticing that the quality of Laser manufacturing has been going down with every year of production. My boat is only a few months old (it was first used as a charter boat in the 2007 Midwinters East regatta). So was my teammate's boat. With both of ours, if you look into the daggerboard trunk from below, you can see that the lip of the deck hangs down into the trunk, and the joint with the hull is not flush. That's not so bad, but the joint is not square. the hull is turned a few degrees in a certain direction compared to the trunk, so one tack is technically better than the other since the daggerboard is always turned. It is like this on both our boats. Mine is 188924, his is 188920. Any thoughts?

if it is a vanguard laser i have heard that they arent great quality.
if you are serious about laser sailing you should buy one from alstraulia, or europe however this might just be a defect.

you should buy one from alstraulia,
:D

...But while we're engaging in a bitching thread:

I have noticed that the new plastic gudgeons have larger diameter holes for the rudder pintles than a similar pair with at least 10 years of wear.

Make of that what you will.

I may have mentioned this before. :confused: Or perhaps it was to the people I bought them off.

haha yeah it IS starting to be a bitching thread. i was just trying to point out a wierd flaw in the new design. and yes, we have wondered to ourselves why we didnt get some euro lasers....

Its a pain the ass to ship a bloody boat from Europe, and if you were remotely serious, you would go over there, and buy it, and then ship it. That would cost so much compared to actually just driving to your dealer, and looking over 10 boats, and picking the best. Look for the best you can get, but don't go crazy, these aint million dollar boats, their freakin lasers! lol

Also, a US boat ready to race costs around $5000, however in Europe, it may cost up to 6,500 euros (19% VAT is a drawback).

I'd think as Ross B said, if you just take a look over a bunch of boats as carefully as you can you should be able to find one which is just as good as the euro boats. I wouldn't know though as I'm euro.
Anyway, a fully equpited Laser costs about 6500€ in Sweden, so yeah, it's kind of expencive.

Yes, well we were joking about the euro laser thing... partly. It's kind of aggravating, seeing that your bot has a defect. It's just a guess, but since both of ours are defected in this way, the other boats must have been made the same way? I won't get a european laser. The trunk skewing on mine isn't too bad, I'm not worried. Yesterday I learned that his boat is leaking. Its only a few months old! Probably made in Jan. or Feb... we don't know where the leak is coming from.

damn theres no need to go all apeshit on me. i am 14 years old. and besides euro boats are better, and who gives a shit if i spelled australia wrong.

It's not that euro boats are better its just that vanguard boats are complete pieces of shit and are not laid up by hand. And this is the case in most classes they make but the good thing is everyone else (or most) use vanguard boats

But this decline in quality seems to be something happening just now. When i look at older lasers (not too old) they look to be made beautifully.

damn theres no need to go all apeshit on me. i am 14 years old. and besides euro boats are better, and who gives a shit if i spelled australia wrong.

Matt,

Chainsaw wasn't commenting on your spelling. He is from Australia and was pleased with your comment. On the other hand, the language in this thread is on the edge. Enough with the "shit"s and "bloody"s already. That's swearing in a large part of the world.

It's not that euro boats are better its just that vanguard boats are complete pieces of shit and are not laid up by hand. And this is the case in most classes they make but the good thing is everyone else (or most) use vanguard boats

youve never taken a factory tour have you? I can tell you that they are 100% hand laid up, I've seen it, hell, I've seen how all Vanguard boats are made.

I am waiting for the Honda laser. They wont rattle like the american boats after a few years of use.

No I think that Lasers are just terrible boats to begin with. The thing to remember is that one wind shift would make a bigger difference in a race then an abnormallity in the build.

"No I think that Lasers are just terrible boats to begin with. The thing to remember is that one wind shift would make a bigger difference in a race then an abnormallity in the build."

EXACTLY!

Back