Laser Purchase; minor damage - Opinion required

matthewturner

Good morning.

I am in the process of purchasing my first laser.

The 1997 dinghy is generally in good condition but i noted the damage shown in the photo. It looks like it has been repaired at some point but has since started to crack.

Please could I have your opinion:

1) Is the damage anything to be concenred about in the coming 12 months?
2) Does it warrant repair any item soon?
3) If so, would you repair it yourself or would it require a professional. If the latter, how much would we be talking?

Attachments

• IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_8861.JPG
    825.1 KB · Views: 66
if it's that small, don't worry. Lots of tutorials on YT how to repair it. Lots of good products for sale for proper repair, including proper sandpaper (up to 1000 or 1200 or even higher for the best result). Use the best materials you can afford. Make sure it's a dry and modestly warm day when you attack the spot. And, take your time!

Polyester and polyester repair are very 'forgiving': you can always start over again! When you're not too sure about your skills, take something else made from polyester and start practising on that first.

Have a great weekend! (I know I will! The first weekend since April without hauling the boat to a slipway...)

M.

Thank you M! Really appreciate the response; very reassuring and informative.

My offer on the laser has been accepted this afternoon :)

Sand that patch flush with the original gelcoat surface with a medium to fine paper, remove any loose material with a knife, cover all bare fibreglass with gelcoat filler (this should be the right colour), and sand flush again. Finish with very fine wet paper, and polish if you want.

Not a huge job. But nothing urgent-looking either.

_

Back