Laser Purchase Imminent - Getting it Home

Kestrel

Good afternoon ! First post here for me, and I could use some assistance...

I will be purchasing an older laser tomorrow, and need some advice on getting it home. I've read quite a few threads in regards to car topping and specialized trailer setups, but due to time constraints, those options are probably not viable at this time.

I will be traveling about 300 miles on the highway to purchase the boat, and need to figure out a way to bring it back. The transport vehicle will be an older Volvo 240 wagon, which does not have a roof rack. It does however have a hitch, and I DO have access tons utility trailer like this...

de_5x8_utility_trailer_single_axles_macon_bonaire_ga.336112447_std.jpg

The tailgate is removable, for what it is worth.

Given those options, is there a preferred route you all would take? The roof on the Volvo is extremely stout, and pretty darn long to boot. Is a rack absolutely necessary? Is it possible to use foam on the edges and tie it down that way? Or would you recommend rigging something in the trailer instead? The boat will be used strictly at a lake house, so future transportation is probably not necessary.

Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!-

K

If you are going to use that trailer make sure you pad it out well and support the hull where required. If the boat comes with a dolly then leave it on the dolly and strap it down. If not then flip it over put it deck side down on some thick padding.

Make sure you secure it well but be careful if you are going to use ratchet straps as you can distort the hull with them.

Ideally I would say borrow some roof bars/a roof rack for that distance.

Turns out the gate on that trailer was not removable!

I spent the morning building a set of homebrew racks which should easily carry the Laser atop the Volvo. I'll update this thread with pictures (and the boat!) once I get the chance.

Off we go!

Turns out the gate on that trailer was not removable!

I spent the morning building a set of homebrew racks which should easily carry the Laser atop the Volvo. I'll update this thread with pictures (and the boat!) once I get the chance.

Off we go!

Quite frankly, that sounds like a better option that trying to secure it in that trailer.

Quite frankly, that sounds like a better option that trying to secure it in that trailer.

Indeed, it *was* a better way to haul it!

The previous owner had thought the boat to be a 1981, but upon checking the serial number, it appears to have been made in July of 1973. Ancient! The bottom was solid, while the deck had one small semi-soft spot rear of the cockpit. I don't anticipate it will be a problem. Could probably use some new lines, but all of the rigging, pulleys etc were all there, along with the older wooden centerboard and tiller/rudder. A sail was included, and I noticed that the sail was actually a Laser M sail... I was a bit worried that it had the M rigging and masts as opposed to the full Laser setup, but given the year (1973), that seemed unlikely. The mast also showed no sign of the old fairlead / halyard setup.

I checked it out a little further, and noticed that there was an old set of holes a bit lower on the top portion of the mast, and a different 'faded' color of metal where an old black plastic mast ring used to be. As it turns out, the boat had the standard full rigged laser masts, but somebody had apparently drilled the rivets, and slid the black retainer up so that the top mast would sit lower, thus allowing the M sail to fit! Nuts!

The M sail itself was in generally good condition, with a small tear in the plastic window. It shouldn't be too much trouble to fix.

As for hauling it... I ended up purchasing a 12 ft long 2x6, and cut it in half. To these, I attached small 6" blocks of 2x4's with lumber via four extra heavy duty metal hinges. The pivot of the hinge was centered in the 2x4, thus allowing a nice pivoting surface that would adjust to the surface of the Volvo, and evenly distribute the load over the block/support. Padded the bottoms of these, and threw two layers of closed cell foam on to each of the 2x6 planks.

W6P6feRl.jpg

The setup was absolutely rock solid over about 800 miles of travel that weekend. Keeping the speeds to an average of about 65mph, the gas mileage on the wagon dropped from about 26 to 23 mpg. Not bad given the laser sitting atop of it!

It's an older boat, but I don't have any expectations of racing. Final price for the boat? $200. For that price, I don't think I could have possibly done better. I ended up spending about $30 on the mounting setup, and will likely use it again to haul the boat in the future. It worked so darned well, I don't see any reason to buy a fancy rack.

Looking forward to sorting out the loose ends, and getting this thing in the water. I'll probably sail it for the time being with the franken-full rig resized M masts, and whenever I get around to purchasing a normal sized Laser sail, will then drill out those rivets, and rerivet the retainer in its original normal position.

rARjO6Hl.jpg

Homebrewed roof rack looks brilliant. Is the beach in the picture origin or destination for your Laser? It's 11 degrees F this morning at my locale. :eek:

Kestrel, looks like your rack served you well and congrats on a good buy! I would add one thing, though. I'd strongly recommend adding some means to prevent the fore and aft movement of the boat, especially the forward movement. If you have to stop suddenly you certainly don't want that boat to fly off the front of the car! Perhaps you have made provision for this, but I couldn't see it in the photo. This is often overlooked by people carrying small boats on their cars. Ropes to the bumpers may serve for this purpose, but there are better methods.

Hope you enjoy your Laser - I'm sure you will.

Excellent jury rig. Volvo station wagon with a laser on the roof - looks like something from the 1970s!

Beach was just a stop along the way... The boat will be used on Lake Norman in the Charlotte NC area. In the mid 20s this morning with water temperatures hovering right around 50 degrees... That said, I don't think I will be able to resist the temptation and will likely throw on my wetsuit and some winter clothes, and give it a go. I still need to purchase some lines for the boat before that happens, as well as do some other maintenance.

As for the rack... I did have a strap in the rear, as well as three others across the hull, but nothing to tie the rack to the roof, so to speak. I placed grippy draw liner material around the base of each rack 'foot', and pulled down decently tight. The weight of the boat and the force of the straps kept it from budging, as there was some serious friction between the two surfaces. I can't easily generate the forces involved in a panic stop, but we had one incident (hard stop and swerve around a retread in the highway) and still the boat didn't move an inch. In a worst case scenario, the boat could come loose, but wouldnt be able to free itself or slide off the roof, even if the racks disappeared out from under it. In the future, I'd probably find some way to restrain it or go for a rain rail rack. This was more of a temporary time sensitive solution as opposed to a long term frequent hauling sort of deal. The boat will stay on the lake from here on out, most likely.

I'm surprised there wasn't a used Laser available in the area. I know there are lots sitting on trailers at the club that never move.

the main thing to focus on is proper padding and securing the hull

-there are lots of good things you can use for padding, on my last laser purchase I used some expanded foam and trailered the hull upside down
-the fabricators at Laser Performance suggested trailering it this way and it worked quite well
-you should also cover the hull so it doesn't get scratched from tiny pebbles on the road, either buy a cover or just make one
-I use these for transporting my lasers http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ngId=-1&keyword=tie+down+straps&storeId=10051
(I also put foam under the straps to spread out the load)
-remember that surface area is key, you don't want a strap putting a great deal of pressure on a small area, it can deform the hull and cause problems
-check that the hull is secure, especially a few miles down the road from when you first secure it, this is the period when things are most likely to come loose

Best of luck with your new laser!

Beach was just a stop along the way... The boat will be used on Lake Norman in the Charlotte NC area. In the mid 20s this morning with water temperatures hovering right around 50 degrees... That said, I don't think I will be able to resist the temptation and will likely throw on my wetsuit and some winter clothes, and give it a go. I still need to purchase some lines for the boat before that happens, as well as do some other maintenance.

As for the rack... I did have a strap in the rear, as well as three others across the hull, but nothing to tie the rack to the roof, so to speak. I placed grippy draw liner material around the base of each rack 'foot', and pulled down decently tight. The weight of the boat and the force of the straps kept it from budging, as there was some serious friction between the two surfaces. I can't easily generate the forces involved in a panic stop, but we had one incident (hard stop and swerve around a retread in the highway) and still the boat didn't move an inch. In a worst case scenario, the boat could come loose, but wouldnt be able to free itself or slide off the roof, even if the racks disappeared out from under it. In the future, I'd probably find some way to restrain it or go for a rain rail rack. This was more of a temporary time sensitive solution as opposed to a long term frequent hauling sort of deal. The boat will stay on the lake from here on out, most likely.

Glad to hear there will be another Laser on the lake. I've been out 3 times so far this year. Once in the full wetsuit, twice in the drysuit. Full wetsuit is fine if it's not too windy or you have help nearby. I prefer the drysuit for the safety though, plus it's just nicer for launching and stuff.

Where are you keeping the boat? I'm at LNYC. Trying to get a Laser fleet going but there really isn't one right now except for the juniors. Send me a message if you'd like to go out. I'm not sailing tomorrow because there's no wind, but maybe Sunday if the forecast improves. Water temp is a frigid 45 right now. Brr. It certainly feels like it when it hits your face in a capsize.

I'm surprised there wasn't a used Laser available in the area. I know there are lots sitting on trailers at the club that never move.

There are lots of available. The owners just don't know it. Many abandoned or semi-abandoned Lasers at our club, taking up good spaces from the rest of us that actually sail. They're fixing that this year though. Abandoned will be sold, un-used will be moved farther from the water to free up the good spaces. I've got my eyes on a few of the abandoned ones. Some of them are in good shape. I could use a new hull, mine is about as flimsy on the deck as it gets.

PF,

I figured there were likely many of them sitting around and collecting dust... For the price I paid, however, I figured it was worth the trip to go pick it up. I threw in an order from APS early Thursday morning for new rigging, but sadly it hasn't shipped out yet. Once that arrives, I'm going to get the boat set up and try to get out on the water. Supposedly 68F mid week, but sadly I won't be able to make it out until the weekend when it drops back down to the 40s/50s. The temperatures are borderline miserable, but I don't figure I'll be straying too far from my launching point in case there is a tipover or two. I plan to take it easy and head out on lighter days until I can figure this thing out.

LYNC? Believe it or not, my boat is stored at a house just a little bit down the street from the dead end / entrance to the club.

When you get it all ready to go just let me know. I'd be glad to help you rig it. I could probably sail to where you're launching from if it's just down the street (unless it's on the other side of the peninsula).

I'll probably be out this weekend, but it's looking breezy and very gusty. Wednesday, the warm day, is gonna be 30 gusting to 60. Don't think I'd go out in that even if I didn't have work. Sunday is looking nice, 8 and steady. Good first day. Saturday looks good to me, 15 (but gusting to 32, which I don't like).

As a follow up, yesterday was the maiden voyage of the laser, as well as my first time sailing since probably 15 years ago at summer camp. The new bag of rigging from APS didn't take too long to sort out, and I was able to spend a nice hour or so out on the water, as well as keep her upright. Thanks all for the suggestions - I'm looking forward to spending some more time out there in the future.

Back