Laser Pumping

mmadge

Watching a Finn video where apparently they have allowed unlimited pumping in winds over 12 Kts.Is this also allowed in the Laser Class?

Not too bad at all, it keeps the bat within the reach of mere mortals and not those who are super fit.

Do bear in mind that the Finn rule only applies in Finn class racing, I do not believe it would apply in a handicap event where they are racing other classes.

in our hangover bowl (Jan 1 2012) we started out with very very light breeze so we had a race with kinetics allowed, anything goes,

the winner sailed and roll tacked/gybed around the entire course and 2nd place stood on the bow and pumped/rocked almost like skating the boat, I was surprised sailing with roll tacks/gybes ended up being faster

then the wind came in so we did some other challenges such as crossing the finishing line sailing backwards,

Finns have in there class rules that they can pump THREE times per wave or gust. Or if a flag is raised (can't remember which one) then there is no restriction on pumping. Depends on event that one.

IMO Olympic Sailing should be a very athletic event,it should reward being super fit.
Like in windsurfing where the talent spotters look for someone who has the fitness to pump the sail extended periods? It doesn't matter that they have never seen a sailboard, they then teach potential squad members how to sail.

I
Like in windsurfing where the talent spotters look for someone who has the fitness to pump the sail extended periods? It doesn't matter that they have never seen a sailboard, they then teach potential squad members how to sail.
I have a good friend that is an Olympic windsurfer ,he is also an excellent dinghy sailor .Pretty sure it takes more than just pumping skills.

Does anyone know of specific workouts that sailors can do in the off season to prepare for the sailing season? Or even training/specific exercise and stretches to increase your own performance during the sailing season?

IMO Olympic Sailing should be a very athletic event,it should reward being super fit.

I don't disagree with this is principle. However, we now have on-the-water judges to flag people for improper kinetics at fairly low-level events. Junior sailors are coached on how to use kinetics and not get caught. Maybe I'm connecting-the-dots a little too far, but I doubt we would be at this point had the Laser remained a non-Olympic class.

Does anyone know of specific workouts that sailors can do in the off season to prepare for the sailing season? Or even training/specific exercise and stretches to increase your own performance during the sailing season?
If you search the Forum a bit, you will find all sorts of info on this topic.

Back