Laser Prices

yea the price goes up normally by about £100 a year, so who knows wen they will stop with it, i ordered mine about a year ago and it cost £3670 for the boat minus covers trolley and trailer :)

Don't you guys know what inflation is. Almost another topic was the mentioning of raising class dues since they have not changed in years. They should be raised equally with inflation or the class will not have enough money to cover costs. If inflation is 3%, raise the price 3%, or you will infact be educing the cost.

woo carm down, course we know what inflation is, were just talking about the prices of the boat after all this is a laser forum, where we talk about lasers

144679 said:
:'( the price of a new laser has been increased over here in the uk, the top of the range (As specified by Paul Goodison) laser is now £4150.00 i'm assuming fromn this that the price of parts has now increased as well, whats the prices like everywhere else ?

Hey, I checked out your Laser sales website. How come Lasers are so much more in the UK than the US? I bought a Laser Pro and trailer last year, no covers or trolley, for around 3200 pounds (at today's exchange rate). At Annapolis Performance sailing you can buy a Laser Pro, no trailer for 2600 pounds, and you might add 150 pounds shipping to that, I guess. Are yours fitted out better? Are the hulls better? Are we talking tax? What's up?

Janet

Merrily said:
Hey, I checked out your Laser sales website. How come Lasers are so much more in the UK than the US?

Welcome to Rip-off Britain! Everything is more expensive here than in the US.
If you pay a thosand dollars for something in the States it will usually be a thousand pounds for it here. Even stuff that's made in Britain is usually cheaper in the States.

peterbye said:
Welcome to Rip-off Britain! Everything is more expensive here than in the US.
If you pay a thosand dollars for something in the States it will usually be a thousand pounds for it here. Even stuff that's made in Britain is usually cheaper in the States.

Wow, how much is a pint of Newcastle? ;)

Hi,
in France (Paris) our "out-of-the-box-boat" costs (new, XD-Version) about 6300 Euro (~ 8200 US-$)... Here is a link to a french merchandizer: http://www.paris-voile.com/usrarticlesalpha.asp?bateau=029&categorie=201&souscategorie=327&article=0

To this I have to add: If you go to drink a cup of coffee at the mainstreet of Paris, Camps Elysés, it is possible, that you have to pay 10-15 Euro for it...

In Germany usually the PSE-Lasers from the UK are sold. This means, they are more expensive than in UK. Used Lasers are very-very cheap in UK, more then 1000 Euro cheaper than on the continent.
To buy an "out-of-the-box-boat" and it´s accessoirs in USA would be nice, but Duty+VAT+ insurance and shippingcosts are high. So, this way to get that boats and accessoirs pays only in bigger numbers (f.e. a Seacontainer) like for a Laserfleet. Mainreason why Lasers and it´s accessoirs are cheap in the USA is the rising of the Euro (or falling of the US-$).
Price of beer in Germany? I don´t know - instead of alc. I usually drink mineral water, mostly while sailing (+capsizing...) with my GER-46438 :D
Cheers
LooserLu

"To this I have to add: If you go to drink a cup of coffee at the mainstreet of Paris, Camps Elysés, it is possible, that you have to pay 10-15 Euro for it..."

That's steep. When I was there 3 or 4 years ago it was less than half that.

"Mainreason why Lasers and it´s accessoirs are cheap in the USA is the rising of the Euro (or falling of the US-$). "

I thought of that. Before American monetary policy started driving down the dollar, to help reverse our trade deficit, the pound/US dollar exchange was 1/1.4. Now it's 1/1.88. Before that the Laser Pro still would have only cost 3490 pounds, instead of the 4100. But I think I may be missing the tax. It's 7% or so, depending on what state you buy it in.

"Price of beer in Germany? I don´t know - instead of alc. I usually drink mineral water, mostly while sailing (+capsizing...) with my GER-46438 :D
Cheers
LooserLu"

I don't drink beer while I'm sailing, either. You are smashing stereotypes, Lu--a German who rarely drinks beer!

Cheers to you too,
Merrily

And just to think that when the Laser was introduced for the first time at the 1971 New York boat show it sold for $695...

macwas16 said:
And just to think that when the Laser was introduced for the first time at the 1971 New York boat show it sold for $695...

I paid less than half of that for my '74 (great condition) about three years ago :). Here in Nova Scotia the cost of a new laser changes almost every day.It depends on the US exchange rate, because they order all their boats from the US. I'm just hoping that if I keep calling them every few days they'll eventually get mad and sell me one for super cheap :)

I tried haggeling with em, they don't flex much on new boats... I get good deals on everything else though, so I guess it all evens out.

Well Mac,

I bought #1041 used a few years later for US$200., about '75. In '71 I also bought a Toyota Pick-up truck new for 1200. (very plain jane model). So, the Laser was about 1/2 of a pick-up truck back then, hmmm...

In the USA we don't have GST tax, just a state sales tax. Also it's unfair to compare the "Tricked out model" to the manufacturer's list price. US List on the Pro is US$4890.

Having lived thru two failed Laser NA suppliers, with all the problems that entails, I am personally thrilled to have Vanguard in place now, as our US supplier. They are promoting well, and with the very long term in mind. Two Olympic classes now is pretty amazing. And they trailer boats all over this hugh country to support this class, such as the "youths" in WI (or MN?), where a boat was stolen, etc., etc.

All this effort supports them of course, but supports the resale prices as well. This keeps all of our true cost of ownership down, as does vigorous one-design rules. Almost every used boat sells, whatever it's age sells for near it's original sale price (if kept up, and in inflated dollars, of course).

Every other one design class has a history of nightmares, such as when someone figures out a new way to measure, everyone has to move their keels 3/4". This costs $5000. for a J24, about the same as a new Laser. How about losing your Keel in a Maxi during the Sydney-Hobart, and setting the crew off in rafts? Yikes! Or breaking your stick, a few days after being first to finish in Hobart! Now that's expensive.

Al Russell 138888 and J24 4008

Hey derr Laserites
Nother thing to think about is your dealing with two different suppliers... different prices for material, labor, etc... and maybe better quality boats. So rumour has it here... I don't want to get another thread with-in a thread started.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Murphs said:
new lasers have just gone up here too, we dont have any pro version
Hi Chris, just to understand you right: The new Lasers, that are sold on your side of the globe, are only having the old stuff?
At GER, they are sold in different versions: the Laser without the XD-stuff is about 10 % cheaper than the "Pro"-Version.
Tomorrow I go and see the new Lasers from our local Lasertore and "some" other boats at one off the biggest boat-exihibions of this globe... The most expensivest boat is 31m long and costs about factor~"1000x" than a laser-price of here... unfortunately it has no sail and dam I just cannot find my platin-creditcard ;)....
Chiao
LooserLu

id rather a new boat, the $750 - $1000 cost difference doesnt really justify it for me but that is just personal preference

Murphs said:
id rather a new boat, the $750 - $1000 cost difference doesnt really justify it for me but that is just personal preference

I bought an ex-Worlds boat used in Turkey last year. For me the saving was like having the road trailer, covers, foil bag, all those extras that push the real cost of a new boat way up from the catalog price, thrown in for free.
The hull and foils were good as new, and the sail was as new as makes no difference at my level.
I would much rather buy this way than get a used boat a year old that's had a season of hard racing, for very little less money.

I would much rather buy this way than get a used boat a year old that's had a season of hard racing, for very little less money.

i agree with you there, a boat used at one regatta is better than one used for a whole season.

Hey
i was just going through the laser sailing website and noticed that the price for a new sail (rolled) is now £369.00. when in 2004 it was £405.00. i was quite suppriced at this and would of thought the prices would of increased!!!

terraslaser said:
i was just going through the laser sailing website and noticed that the price for a new sail (rolled) is now £369.00. when in 2004 it was £405.00. i was quite suppriced at this and would of thought the prices would of increased!!!

Perhaps they've realised that when Rooster can sell a 'replica' sail of the 'same cut and similar sail cloth' for £205 and still make a profit people would not tolerate an increase on their extortionate prices for the genuine article.
http://www.roostersailing.com/merch..._Code=1&Product_Code=lspsr&Category_Code=rrep

Friday I went to a watersport store where they sell parts of Laser. We talked a bit about the Laser prices. The guy of the store told me that the prices will increase very much soon. In Greece they have the new prices already: a new laser costs almost 7000 euro, instead of 6000. Unfortunately the other European country's will follow Greece...... :( I think because the Laser Radial is olympic now.....

PS: The price of one beer (20-25 cl) is here in the Netherlands around €2,-

emilebr said:
Friday I went to a watersport store where they sell parts of Laser. We talked a bit about the Laser prices. The guy of the store told me that the prices will increase very much soon. In Greece they have the new prices already: a new laser costs almost 7000 euro, instead of 6000. Unfortunately the other European country's will follow Greece...... :( I think because the Laser Radial is olympic now.....

PS: The price of one beer (20-25 cl) is here in the Netherlands around €2,-

Well, so much for choosing the Laser Radial so more countries could afford to get in.

Merrily

Well emilebr,

That is an interesting concept. How much would a laser cost in terms of beers? ;)

After very scientific calculation I guestimate that here it would cost somewhere around 2,200 beers (in a bar!!!)

That's a thought evening :rolleyes:

Ciao

François

Merrily said:
Well, so much for choosing the Laser Radial so more countries could afford to get in.
Merrily

I think you'll still find you can get an entire Radial outfit for less than the cost of a top-flight carbon mast and boom for a Europe.

peterbye said:
I think you'll still find you can get an entire Radial outfit for less than the cost of a top-flight carbon mast and boom for a Europe.

Following up my own post, yes you can, less than a second-hand one even! Just found this on the Europe class association website:

Telephone: xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx
E-mail: [email protected]
Description
Shirley Robertson's Wing Mast TT4, together with Sydney Olympics Spare sail (only GBR 3 on).
For Sale for £4,000

after a little comparing, ive just seen that we in australia get a very gooid deal on our lasers, converting the english price into australian dollars gives roughly $10,000, $2400 more than we actually pay.

sorry guys

at least you get sails cheaper..... just

Again this all expected when you look at the state of global economies. When your economy is strong, net exports (exports -imports) goes down bc it will cost people from another country more to buy a good from your country with your strong currency.

This explains two things in this thread:
Boats will seem to cost less in other counrties if you in a region or country with a strong economy. England and Europe have strong economies when compared to the US and AUS, so in England or Europes strong currency a laser could be bought for less from the US or AUS.

If the price of sails went down, it means the economies in which they are produced went down against the English pound or Euro. Sri Lanka's (or in Hyde in China now? bc dacrons banned from production in Europe) economy couldve easily gone down, resulting in a much cheaper production of the sails and a price reduction in Europe.

Also, another example of the swings of the economies and their affect on laser prices - in may a laser in AUS was cheaper than a laser in the US if bought in US dollars; now a NA laser is cheaper in US dollars.

I'm reasonably sure the Hyde Laser sails are made in the Philippines. Before the bashing of that starts, at least take the time the check out the facilities on the Hyde web site.

Back