Class Politics Laser Performance United

Hi, I registered with LPU just to see what would happen last month...I got a confirmation email reviewing my details, then nothing...Is this just a a way of building up marketing data about Laser sailors?

I thought it was an alternative to class membership (cheaper and allows LP to start to bypass ILCA who cannot even get a rule change through to help them financially). Also, should the right holder start requiring contract/payments as per the class rules then LP can ignore them as it has a direct route to the Laser fleet (through your e-mail address) and they already have their own private "Class Association" so can carry on building Lasers (as they own the trademark).

Has anyone heard anything new with this whole situation? Also wasnt there supposed be an announcementabout a new sail change after the Olympics

It was "hoped" that there would be an announcement about a new sail design for full rigs, but with the current mess between builder/class/ISAF, don't expect anything soon.

As far as the mess, Tracy was the best source, but IMHO, he's gone quiet/stealth since becoming the lead dog. Somewhat understandable, but frustrating non the less

Well, I appear to be a card-carrying member of the union. Just came in the mail today. I'll play along for now - until they want money.

Well, I appear to be a card-carrying member of the union. Just came in the mail today. I'll play along for now - until they want money.
Same here, card came in the mail yesterday. Not sure what the benefits are really.

Me too - received it last week. Still not clear what I get for being a member, but I'm now getting an email newsletter called the Rhumbline.

Reactions: tag
I just got a Rhumbline newsleter , I was interested in the discount for a products, so I called Laser in Newport, they are stocking Lasers made in the UK. What happened to made in NA? $6095 - 10% is that a good buy?

The Lasers made in the UK are not actually being made by LP but by the firm that has been building them for the last few years. Where this fits in the grand scheme of things I could not really tell you.

Actually $5400 for a complete boat doesn't sound too bad, though I suspect at that price it comes with old-style rigging.

The last newsletter said ISAF was still supplying LP with hull plaques, so the UK-built boats would be class legal.

My impression is that ever since the ISAF vetoed the proposed rule changes, everyone has been operating on an unspoken status-quo basis (though I doubt Bruce Kirby is getting any license fees from LP). The rumored big announcement doesn't seem to have materialized.

Back