Laser Performance building in Portugal

tag

my2fish
Via various social media outlets, LP posted pictures of new sailboat manufacturing going on in Portugal.
lp portugal.jpg

This is an excerpt from LP’s Jan 15, 2019 Facebook post. Since they continuously change their minds, who knows what they are doing now. The excerpt:

As a result of the US-China trade war, we have decided to set up our own manufacturing facilities in Portugal with the objective of becoming fully operational by this year end. Manufacturing of all sloops and collegiate sailing boats will be given priority. Our existing resources in China will continue to supply the Asian markets. Laser Sailboats manufacturing in Banbury, UK, will expand to include the Sunfish boat.

Reactions: tag
LP likes riddles...

I have read elsewhere that one of the LP sites in the UK may close. Not sure if it's the office site or the manufacturing facility.

Grateful if as a staff member you can please provide a link to your source data so as readers we can make our own judgements rather than having to rely on unsubstantiated comments.

I look forward to your reply and the link to the source data .

TIA

Most of my info is from Sailing Anarchy, a highly reliable site as we all know :)
But some over there are quite knowledgeable and/or have inside info.
On the Dinghy Anarchy forum is a very long thread entitled "ILCA gives LP the boot"
Now focus on posts 4526 (IPLore), 4532 (IPLore) and 4534 (tillerman).
The image in post 4534 shows that LP is selling all, or part of, its real estate in Long Buckby. This is an LP sales office/warehouse; not the manufacturing facility, which is in Banbury.
Therefore, although I have no proof that LP is closing this place, in light of LP stating that it wants to move manufacturing to Portugal, it does seem likely.

As I wrote earlier, LP likes riddles...

Thank you.

We cannot dispute this image from Google taken in May 2019 and the posts in Sailing Anarchy speculate about future production in the UK based on advertisements from LP about their new facilities in Portugal.

LP and SA may not be the most trustworthy sources, but Street View doesn't lie :D

Also, looking at the Banbury plant from the outside, it's not unconceivable that LP would want something more modern and purpose-built instead. And somewhere that is much more likely to stay within their largest market area...

_

Back