Laser parts and rigging

gibsailor

Picked up a 83 laser in great shape. Did not come with rigging and needs new blocks, traveler lines, mainsheet, outhaul etc. What is the best place to find parts, new or used. Does not have to be high performance but i do want to start club sailing again. Sail is in good shape but old and could use a newer used one.

thanks

The cheapest merchant overall I have found so far is IntensitySails, but you can always peruse eBay or Craigslist or other internet auction sites. You just have to be careful with class legal parts/sails if you are considering racing in events that have a measurement requirement, there are only a few merchants that sell class legal parts/sails.

Thanks. I would prefer to avoid the ebay/craigslist route. Never know what you get from those sites. I certainly want to be class legal so i will check Intensity. Layline used to be my go to place but dont think its in existence anymore. Any others?

Simple internet search for Laser Sailing parts; Laser Performance, Natos-usa, Vela Sailing Supply, Rooster Sailing, West Coast Sailing.

For new legal parts, the only safe places to shop at the moment are LaserPerformance and PSA. Rooster sells both legal and fake parts, but knows and tells which is which. Of the other names mentioned in previous posts, Intensity and Nautos have no clue about this, and I wouldn't touch them with a stick.

_

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is class legal?

Nautos 91618 - Blue Traveller and Main Linked Blocks- Laser Sailboat - Kevlar Rope

Attachments

• 51POBWjxtVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    51POBWjxtVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 49
That is what i am looking for. Most places are sold out. I saw this setup and want to know if it is legal as well.

Attachments

• Traveler Blocks.JPG
    Traveler Blocks.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 42
Yes, that is legal - but quite expensive (in my opinion).

It is an upgrade that came in a few years ago. I haven't used it so I can't comment on whether it is felt to be a significant improvement on the original blocks.

I thought the same with the price but if i am going to get out on the lake any time soon i need something. Might have to bite the bullet and grab one of these at West Marine. Just getting the itch to sail.... Thanks for your help Horizon.

Those ”new” (they’ve been around for about ten years) traveller blocks are a good thing. No more stupid tape tricks.
That said, the ”classic” Allens should be widely available. Roostersailing and Allen Brothers themselves are reliable sources; search for ”Allen 178-74” and ”Allen 278-74”.

_

The Harken blocks, in my opinion, are much nicer and have a much more predictable resistance to them. They are all SS ball bearings and still run smoothly with a thick mainsheet in light wind. I used to use a thicker heavy weather sheet and a thinner light air sheet depending on the day, but with these I can just leave my heavy air sheet on without having to worry about the boom going out.

Yes, they are expensive, but man they are so much nicer.

Also: another pro of having these blocks is that a thicker sheet is less likely to catch on the back transom corner, even if you don't flick it properly.

Although these E-Bay blocks are legal, the way they are connected with heat shrink tubing, is not.
I would agree that this is a silly rule, but hey...

Ready-taped, even :D Looks like a good deal.

A thicker sheet is heavier and will catch the corner much more easily in my experience.

_

LaLi, I use the thicker Rooster Pollilite, so it doesn't get that heavy when it gets wet relative to Sta-Set or similar basic sheet lines.

Although these E-Bay blocks are legal, the way they are connected with heat shrink tubing, is not.
Looks like regular electrical tape when you enlarge the pictures.
And even if it isn't it's easy to replace.
If I were gibsailor I'd buy them.

_

Back