Laser outhaul sleeve/clew thingy.

raymie

I have got one of these laser branded outhaul sleeve things that go around the boom and is supposed to slide back and forth. The problem is, it doesnt even tho its sprayed with silicone every time! In fact it is a complete piece of s**t and jams constantly! Anybody had any experience of these things? I am just about to throw it in the bin and buy a rooster downhaul strap or similar for a fraction of the price. Any advice welcome. :( R.

Sorry, didnt realise there was another thread on this piece of equipment. I found the reason that this thing does not work consistently the way it should is because it is basicaly a flawed design as described below:

Just got one today - and my first impression is that the tube edges should ideally have had a slight flange on them. That way there should be no chance of it catching/scoring the boom and there should be no need to use lubricant - a potential future mod?

This quote is absolutely spot on and is the reason it doesnt work properly. I have tried every variation on rigging this thing with continually frustrating results, either sticks all the way out, or all the way in!! Throw in some salt water and it will not move with or without a bungee!! Not impressed at all, although to be fair it is a good idea if only it was designed better. :mad: R.

Want to buy one of my Al Black branded bits of clew tie-down stringy stuff?

Works wonders even without lube!

;)

Al.

I use the rooster clew strap and it works perfectly fine.

I think i'll be doin the same coz this thing is the most frustrating part of my laser sailing. Nearly capsized last night trying to fix the effing thing while sailing. Absolute Boll&*cks! Anyone like to by a clew sleeve thingy? one careful owner from new. :) R.

Does anyone have any ideas of what i could use to replace a clew hook with a shacke or something.

Only problem with replacing with a shackle is that you cant undo it quickly if its V. windy when you need to depower the sail on the shore. Better with a hook i think? ;) R.

Only problem with replacing with a shackle is that you cant undo it quickly if its V. windy when you need to depower the sail on the shore. Better with a hook i think? ;) R.

Err, yes! :eek:

As per capsizing 10 yards from the shore last Wed. Would have been quicker (and dryer!) undoing a bowline!

Note to self, acquire outhaul hook!

Al.

Your wrong! when I was out the other day my laser was on the shore for about 15 minutes waiting for some buddies to get there boat out and when they did about two minutes into me pushing off from the beach the hook came of causing my boom to drop into the water and drop off the gooseneck. I made shure the outhaul was tightend but if you don't have it tight enoug it comes off easy! I was sailing in gusty wind so it screwed me. i couldn't get the boom back on because when it tried to put it back on it acted like a sail again and almost capsized me, i couldn't get the sail clkose enough to the hook. Point is with a shackle it wont come off!! So what i did was point downwind so I would hit the dock. And I did luckily. My point is it isn't realiable and I can't aford to have the on a solo boat.

i have had the clew sleeve/hook for a few months now and have not had any problems with it slides easily even in light airs the only thing is when installing it i didnt think of sliding it over the mast end of the boom so i bent it open and closed to get it on but o well it works great!!

I used to have this problem it was frustrating as you effectively still had the old system in that you would have to pull the outhaul from the boom. but i bought mclube through laser direct and haven't had any trouble since.

I used to have this problem it was frustrating as you effectively still had the old system in that you would have to pull the outhaul from the boom. but i bought mclube through laser direct and haven't had any trouble since.

Still not convinced on this system at all! Was out today messing with it for ages trying to get it to work properly but it still sticks after a while (yes its still round and not bent), even with lube. The only reason i am persevering with it is that it has a really good hook arrangement for quick release. It needs to be flared at each end for it to work consistently smooth.:confused: R.

i think the elastic helps with this problem as well. if you've taken it off as i initially did, try using it again. but i do agree the system is not perfect and feels slightly over complicated.

i think the elastic helps with this problem as well. if you've taken it off as i initially did, try using it again. but i do agree the system is not perfect and feels slightly over complicated.

I have tried it with the elastic on, off, tight, slack, you name it i've tried it. :( R.

I tried several variations with a bungee inhaul. It would work great on shore but bind up out on the water. I could never find a way to attach the inhaul that pulled symmetrically, which I think was the heart of the issue.

I have went to to ronstan shackle, harken 224 block and a clew strap all
from intensity and it works great I like intensity clew strap better.

You don't want to use a nylon or polyester clew strap. They grip under load. You want a spectra/dyneema clew strap. Shouldn't need any McLube etc to make it slide. Much cheaper in the long run. Also a harken 404 has a higher safe working load, and is lighter and should cost the same as a 224.

Bought the Rooster Clew Strap last week per Sailorchick's comment above, and it worked fine at the weekend.. love and thanks to Sailorchick..

You're more than welcome. I've been using them for years now and have never had a problem with them. Last for ages and work really well.

I have the metal sleeve and it works perfectly for me. Much less friction than a strap and faster to hook and unhook. I think it's the best way to go.

I have the metal sleeve and it works perfectly for me. Much less friction than a strap and faster to hook and unhook. I think it's the best way to go.

Yes, i like the way its easier to hook and unhook, but it works for a while then sticks either out or in, hopeless! And thats with lube. Gimme a rooster clew strap any day. R.

Also it will depend what kind of sailing you are doing, if its salt water you sail in like i do they seem to jam and if its puddle sailing they dont so it must be something to do with the salt air. R.

Also it will depend what kind of sailing you are doing, if its salt water you sail in like i do they seem to jam and if its puddle sailing they dont so it must be something to do with the salt air. R.

I've heard that they REALLY don't like capsizing, especially just after the start!

By the way, I've just made my boat a teensy bit faster with a little bit of spending, details on the beach!

:D;):cool:

Al.

I've heard that they REALLY don't like capsizing, especially just after the start!

By the way, I've just made my boat a teensy bit faster with a little bit of spending, details on the beach!

:D;):cool:

Al.

A teensy bit faster you say? Mmhh, sabotage is always an option. :p

If anyone wants a laser outhaul sleeve drop me a pm, i will trade for a carbon tiller extension. :)

Will you be surprised if I say No Thanks? But only cos I don't have a carbon tiller to trade! ;)

Are you sure you dont want to upgrade from your bit of rope clew strap to a nice shiny clew sleeve that dont work. :) Don't think these boys know what trade means!? :confused:

I'll trade you a broken carbon extension for your "complete piece of s**t and jams constantly clew thingy" ;)

whats with all the problems? I got the first one of these into the UK which I had ordered long before they arrived here, and only ever had it jam up once. simple to put on once I'd read the instructions, easy to use, ultra quick to rig, and slides better than anything I've used before.

I'd suggest a good PTFE lubricant, rather than silicone, as it doesn't seem to mind getting wet so much.

Oh, and I sail in salty, brown water, with big waves, so it gets immersed quite a bit, but never sticks.

I'll happily take these if anyone has some they could'nt get to grips with.... I have a few spare booms, and friends that want them!

Back