laser outhaul/cunningham rigging for light wind

Good morning,
I'm new to the Laser world and full questions myself, that being said I bought a used boat with the upgraded racing boom vang, outhaul set up and stuff.
I was also given a box of spare parts, some of which is the old boom vang blocks. I ordered up the needed lines to eliminate the mess and go back to the classic setup, just for me seems much cleaner and simpler for a recreational day on the water. That being said, for the Cunningham, I'm going to use a small block instead of passing through a bowline, hopefully will help it run freer,
For the outhaul, I have a block with a hook for clew attachment. Not sure if you can double block it so it doesn't pass through horseshoe loop.
Try loosening the clew strap, also saw where someone suggested a teflon / silicone lubricant on the boom.
Also, do you have a bungy cord to pull the clew back?

… and go back to the classic setup, just for me seems much cleaner and simpler for a recreational day on the water.…
For the outhaul, I have a block with a hook for clew attachment. Not sure if you can double block it so it doesn't pass through horseshoe loop.

I am a recreational sailor. I am not interested in racing. That means I can use modifications that are not legal for racing in the Laser class.

One illegal mod I use is the block at the traveler end of the boom (like you suggest) instead of passing the outhaul through the fairlead, works great!

Outhaul, - this video by Steve Cockerill does a nice job showing a really good outhaul set-up. For you the question - hone in on the part specifically about the elastic shock cord (ie bungee) that helps pull the sail clew back when releasing.

Cunningham . . . make sure line running well/not crossed. Make sure pulleys dry lubed. It should loosen fine. You sure you are tight to begin with going upwind?

I made up this simple (not class legal) outhaul rig today, it does not involve shackles. The large loop goes through the fairlead and then down around the end of the boom. The small loop attaches to the clew end of the sail luggage tag style.
A6ED0A94-1E8B-41DA-95BB-6D4069510233.jpeg

My rigging doesn't loosen up in lighter wind and I was wondering how to rig it in a way that it won't
Outhaul - most of the friction in the system is between the clew strap (or tiedown line) and the boom. See that your inhaul is tight and "fresh" enough. If you don't have one to begin with, check out the above Rooster video at 7:03. (He says at 2:38 that the inhaul has to be attached to the boom cleat which is not true anymore, but don't worry about that.) Mine is fundamentally similar, with a 5 mm elastic which works fine (Steve's looks like a 4). I simply use a square knot where he has a hook.
Lubricating the area where the clew strap/tiedown touches the boom doesn't hurt.

Cunningham - should be loose in light air anyway. Just pull the line upward just above the deck block (or fairlead) if the sail doesn't exert enough force on it.

Posting pictures of your systems might reveal some obvious problem areas.

Fiddling around with splices and stuff is a lot of fun :rolleyes: but I'd advise against using any non-standard equipment if you're just starting out, and against anything illegal altogether.

_

I use the system from southeast sailboats as well, the top of boom one I believe. I used to have the blocks at the mast but switched over to this one and noticed a huge difference in getting the outhaul on/off. With a inhale bungee and a block on the sail it runs like butter

Back