Class Politics Laser.org Problems

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
Hi Everyone,

There have been some reports of Can't Find Server errors with the ILCA-NA website. Be assured everything is being done to rectify the problems. These issues are out of my hands and at this point out of the hands of the class officers as well. There is not a problem with the server but actually the domain name itself. If you are not able to access the class website, you can access it via this temporary URL:
http://class.laserforum.org

The Laser Forum is glad to be able to help users access the class site even if the domain name is unreachable.

Please post if you are or are not able to access the class website via laser.org.

Not able
Looks like the DNS record and/or your nameservers have been hacked by one Aleksander Boytsov

Yes, the class domain registration was hijacked but the Name Servers have not been changed on the registrar's record or on my server. BIND, the linux domain name server that powers the class website, this site, and many others is running fine. The official process to get the domain back is underway (and has been for sometime) but I am afraid they may have disabled the domain name during the process.

Bradley said:
Yes, the class domain registration was hijacked but the Name Servers have not been changed on the registrar's record or on my server. BIND, the linux domain name server that powers the class website, this site, and many others is running fine. The official process to get the domain back is underway (and has been for sometime) but I am afraid they may have disabled the domain name during the process.

Was it an honest-to-goodness hijack, or did someone let the registration lapse?

Chris123 said:
Was it an honest-to-goodness hijack, or did someone let the registration lapse?

I'm not sure that the words "hijack" and "honest-to-goodness" belong in the same sentance. It was a hijack and I can assure you there was nothing honest or good about it. I suppose the "good news" is that the company we had registered with is well into the process of retrieving the domain name. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon and the site back online through www.laser.org.

In the meantime, you can still get to it through the link Bradley provided (class.laserforum.org).

Tracy

SFBayLaser said:
I'm not sure that the words "hijack" and "honest-to-goodness" belong in the same sentance. It was a hijack and I can assure you there was nothing honest or good about it. I suppose the "good news" is that the company we had registered with is well into the process of retrieving the domain name. Hopefully it will be resolved very soon and the site back online through www.laser.org.

In the meantime, you can still get to it through the link Bradley provided (class.laserforum.org).

Tracy

What a royal pain. Parasites waste a lot of everyone's time. Anybody know what the perp's motives were? Did he contact you offering to ransom it back or was he planning to sell it elsewhere?

It's hard to say for sure what the theif had in mind. We do know that the theif was rather tricky, leaving the class website up (he didn't change the name servers) hoping no one would notice that the registration had been changed. There is probably some time period that could have elasped making him the rightful owner of the domain. However, I DO check the status of all the domains I host or own on a regular basis and found the discrepency.

Link works fine in my Mac Rob...Maybe you should use the mac somewhere far away from that PC you have hanging around. HEHE :)

But all links are good for me

Cheers
Mark

I use Mac and Windows and the link has worked fine on both for me. Can you provide a few more specifics about the problems you are having? If the subdomain doesn't work, you can access the site without the easy url redirect via http://www.laserforum.org/~laserc/ .

An update on www.laser.org:

We are still fighting to get the www.laser.org domain name returned to us and are working very hard with Network Solutions (our registrar) to get it back. It is a long process, which isn't helped by the fact that the new registrar is in exactly the opposite set of time zones to Network Solutions, so messages go back and forth one day at a time.Unfortunately, it does not yet appear certain that we will get laser.org back following this process... So, in addition to continuing to work with Network Solutions, we are also starting to look at what our options are in case we have to go to the "next level." Be assured that laser.org is very important to us and we are not going to give up until we have done everything we can to get it back.

In the meantime we are also trying to get the ILCA-NA website to be a bit more accessible by picking up another domain name close to the original. The pointers to the site were set today and are rippling through the system (in fact, I can already get to the site through this new domain name) and you should all soon be able to reach the site through www.nalaser.org, in addition to the url that Bradley set up last week (http://class.laserforum.org/).

Thanks to Bradley and Ken Taylor for helping to get this set up as an interim.

As soon as there is further real news we will update everyone.

Tracy

Can we send Brodie to represent us??

"Give us our site back!"

"Why?"

"Don't you know who we are?"

A few more choice words are exchanged and then>>>

WHACK!!!

The class website will now available through this link: www.nalaser.org

We are working though the legal process to recover our laser.org domain name but that may take some time. So, change your bookmark and tell all your Laser class friends!

Re: laser.org

It seems someone else signed up as the owner. It is tricky internet scoundrel stuff. The folks who distribute internet addresses have a fee for investigation and recovery in cases like this and since the fee is rather large, the scoundrels make a living on blackmail ransom from those they have raped.

Others certainly have a more technical / official explanation.
currently http://www.nalaser.org is our home.

What happened: ownership of laser.org was transferred to another person with a different registration company.

How it happened: It appears that somebody was able to convince our domain registration company, via email, that they were the "point of contact" and got them to allow ownership transfer. Upon transfer to the new company they then extended the registration one more year (we were registered to 2012, they extended it to 2013 which I'm told is a standard trick).

What is happening now: Our domain registration company is in the last stages of what they can do to get laser.org back. If that fails we have already set up to go to arbitration with ICANN, a procedure that will cost real money since there is a substantial filing fee.

Its a painfully long process and another example of how maddeningly slowly the wheels of justice can grind (at least when you are convinced that you are right).

In the meantime we have www.nalaser.org, www.lasersailor.org and http://class.laserforum.org/ all working. We are actively trying to ferret out dead links in the website (hard coded references to www.laser.org). If you find any please send email to Sherri or me.

Tracy

Sheesh...

There are probably a couple dozen links to the laser.org site on my website. There are proabbly thousands of sites with links to Laser.org.

You know what we do to scumsuckers like this in Texas???

OK screw the death penalty, I have lots of Vice grips....Can we just tear out the culprits toenails... one ....by one...by one....and then start on the fingers??..then the teeth.... vital organs???

Back