Laser or Megabyte

Huskydad

I am going to purchase either a Megabyte or Laser sailboat. I am on the fence as to which boat to choose. I am soon to be 50 years old 6'2" and 205-210 pounds and in good physical shape. I live in the Bay Area and would sail the local lakes and SF Bay.
Any help?
Thanks, Rick

I am going to purchase either a Megabyte or Laser sailboat. I am on the fence as to which boat to choose.

mega.gif
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
laser1.jpg

Length
14ft. 3ins . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13.78ft

Beam
5ft. 2ins . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.56ft

Sail Area
100 sq.ft . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 75.99 sq.ft

Sail Type
Mylar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dacron

Weight
130lbs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 130lbs

Singlehanded Weight
225lbs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 190lbs

How do you rate your sailing skills?

Have you sailed either boat yet?

. . . If so, what aspect(s) are you undecided about?

What will be your primary use..., I assume race, but you may just want a sporty boat for cruising around.

Are you planning on joining the racing Class or does it matter if there are others to sail with/against?

SF appears to have a fleet for both boats, have you talked with either and/or attended a race as an observer?

I sail a 26' Islander in the bay. I have a Byte that I have for my wife and sail it. I am average sailor. I won't race but just sail for fun.
Thanks

If your primary playpen is going to be (windy) SF Bay, I would go with a Laser. In addition, this boat is easy to buy used and easy to sell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3uhghIrwQY&NR"]YouTube- Slalom Laser 70´s[/ame]

If this video doesn't generate enough adrenaline, one can buy a bigger rig for a Laser from Rooster.

Huskydad, a friend of mine is a bit heavier than you and a bit shorter, same age and he races a Mega-Byte and swears by it. The MB is better suited to your weight and is a very quick boat. I would go that route unless you are going to race and everybody has Lasers, nobody has MB's.

I am going to purchase either a Megabyte or Laser sailboat. I am on the fence as to which boat to choose. I am soon to be 50 years old 6'2" and 205-210 pounds and in good physical shape. I live in the Bay Area and would sail the local lakes and SF Bay.
Any help?
Thanks, Rick
Any help?
Thanks, Rick

A megabyte will suit your weight/size much better - no heavier than a laser but much more legroom and good for 2 up or family sailing as well. Make sure the mast is insured new for old if - it were to break, replacement is very costly and repairs dont seem to work.

Back