Laser Non-skid

macwas16

Hey,

Yesturday when I was at (spectating), the Laser Master NA's I saw a very nicely restored Laser up in the yard. Apparently, the old non-skid had been sanded down and he put some fine, sand like non-skid on it. He then gave the boat a paint job with what looked like awlgrip and it looks just spectacular. But back to the fine, sand like non-skid, has anyone used this? Where can I get it? And how do I apply it??

Thanks!

Both Petit and Interlux have proprietary additives for their brands of paint. It's also possible to get a generic grit at most paint stores for the purpose. I actually was planning on painting my deck and cockpit sole this spring (after some extensive delamination repairs), and I bought a can of Petit Easypoxy and 9900 "SKiddless Compound". Unfortunately, the day I was going to paint the boat was one of the first beautiful spring days and I went sailing... So, I don't have any firsthand experience with the stuff. Next spring...

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

So....do you mean you add the stuff into the mixture of paint and then just paint it on?? Will this work if you want to spray it on...I'm thinking not. And also, where did you get this stuff??

Thanks again Geoff!!

So....do you mean you add the stuff into the mixture of paint and then just paint it on?? Will this work if you want to spray it on...I'm thinking not.

Good question! I've always been rolling or brushing when I used it, so all we did was mix it into the paint/gelcoat and lay it down. I also doubt it would be a good idea to spray it. My best guess is to either dust it on between sprayed coats, or roll/brush a first coat on with the grit mixed in and then immediately spray over it to get a nice surface (but that's just a guess!). I don't have the can to hand right now, but I'll check it when I get home this evening to see if there are any instructions about spray application.

And also, where did you get this stuff??

I bought the Petit stuff at West Marine; I believe a friend bought the generic grit at a local "Farm & Fleet" store. I suspect that most places that sell Petit/Interlux would have the corresponding grit.

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

The Pettit 9900 just says "mix it in and apply" (synopsis).

The Easypoxy can is a bit more explicit:
> Alternatively, apply a coat of Easypoxy (without 9900
> Skidless Ccompound) to all areas requiring a non-skid
> surface, then sprinkle or broadcast the 9900 Skidless
> Compound into the wet Easypoxy. After drying over-
> night, caefully brush-out all loose Skidless Compound
> and apply another thin, even coat of Easypoxy to the
> surface.

My guess is that this technique would also work with your favorite Awlgrip, too.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

While we're on the topic of non-skid surfaces... Awhile back I spent a summer racing on a Melges-24. The deck surface on that boat was very destructive to clothing. I literally wore through the seat of a piar of shorts in two races. I don't remember what the deck surface was like (molded-in non-skid or some kind of grit). Since the Laser is a pretty kinetic boat to sail, I was wondering if anyone out there has experience sailing on a Laser with a deck surfaced with grit-based non-skid. Is it more abrasive than the molded-in surface?

Cheers,

Geoff S.

The one Laser I saw that had this looked abrasive, but then sandpaper would too. Yet because of another coat applied on top, it is not so rough to the touch.

I have spent alot of time sailing 420's and L2's, and they use non-skid tape on the gunnels so that while you are out on trap your feet are not sliding all over the place. I would not use this on Lasers, since it can be bad on the butt of all your shorts. It also, in my mind, serves no purpose on a laser.

Back