Laser newbie with questions..

Michael Rosso

Brakewind
Hello, all.
I've been sailing for a few years and have finally managed to get myself a Laser. It's a 1974 by Performance Sailcraft and looks practically brand new! The deck has absolutely no give and the sail looks like it's never been used. Doesn't even have numbers on it yet. The previous owner said he picked it up at an estate sale but never sailed it in the few months he had it.
Being new to Lasers I wanted to ask about... What things should I look out for in older boats like this? I'm planning on installing inspection ports. Where are the best places to put them?
I also noticed that on the bottom directly beneath where the mast tube sits, you can see an impression of the bottom of the mast tube and a square that looks to be... reinforcing? There are no cracks, but the impression is there. Wanted to know if this is normal?
Thanks for the advice!

Some photos..
20140418_182201.jpg
20140418_151146.jpg
20140418_182056.jpg

Wow, that looks like a beautiful boat. Wash it up and take it out sailing. I wouldn't worry about anything.

Thanks. Looking forward to making it sparkle tomorrow, but I've been reading all these horror stories about mast steps breaking on the older boats and am seriously thinking about putting in an inspection port to make sure everything is well and good before I take it out. I hear little bits rolling around inside the hull and it's got me wondering what the heck came loose..

Hello, all.
I've been sailing for a few years and have finally managed to get myself a Laser. It's a 1974 by Performance Sailcraft and looks practically brand new! The deck has absolutely no give and the sail looks like it's never been used. Doesn't even have numbers on it yet. The previous owner said he picked it up at an estate sale but never sailed it in the few months he had it.
Being new to Lasers I wanted to ask about... What things should I look out for in older boats like this? I'm planning on installing inspection ports. Where are the best places to put them?

Nice find, it does look like was hardly used. With little use, what would have matter most is how it's been stored all these years.. Hopefully dry on the inside.

Things to look for:
Inspect the deck/hull joint around the whole perimeter of the boat, looking for cracks in the bog (the white stuff between the hull and deck)
If it were me, I would pull all the fittings and rails off and clean off any old sealant/adhesive and using a quality marine silicone or caulk and re-bed everything. As you screw the pieces back in, look for screws that won't tighten, that can be an indicator of backing pieces (usually plywood) that may have rotted over time.

Inspections ports - For the mast, you want to locate it at approx a 45 degree angle off the centerline, aft of the mast, closest edge of the port to the mast should be at least 9 inches from the mast tube. If you aren't sure what to look for, take a few photos of the bottom of the mast step and post back here. If all looks really good, I wouldn't put any more ports in.

I also noticed that on the bottom directly beneath where the mast tube sits, you can see an impression of the bottom of the mast tube and a square that looks to be... reinforcing? There are no cracks, but the impression is there. Wanted to know if this is normal?
Thanks for the advice!

Perfectly normal. It's a bad reminder of the construction method and materials used.. New boats built today come with the same "feature"

Thanks, tent. I'll follow your advice. I'll post pics of the mast step once I've put in the inspection port. I've taken a close look at the whole perimeter and found no signs at all of cracking. Filled the mast step with water as well and left it all day with no change so it's looking good!

I sailed one out of the city parks in the 60, s. Have fun, watch out for the 1000 foot freighters, they tend not to give right of way.

Michael I'm in the exact same boat (hehe) as you. Came across a 1976 in great shape near Kalamazoo. Unlike yours though mine looks like it's from 1976 - just dirty all over. I'll be doing the inspection port/mast step as well. Yours is beautiful, good luck!

Michael I'm in the exact same boat (hehe) as you. Came across a 1976 in great shape near Kalamazoo. Unlike yours though mine looks like it's from 1976 - just dirty all over. I'll be doing the inspection port/mast step as well. Yours is beautiful, good luck!
That's VERY interesting. I also found my boat in the Kalamazoo area. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes! Have you sailed lasers before or is this your first one?

I've never sailed anything before - only crewed on larger boats in Lake Michigan. Should be quite an adventure! I'll post some pics when I get some work done.

I've never sailed anything before - only crewed on larger boats in Lake Michigan. Should be quite an adventure! I'll post some pics when I get some work done.
Looking forward to seeing your pics. I'm getting ready to order all new lines for mine.... and see if I can find a trailer for a decent price.

Back