Laser Micro Cleats (Side Deck)

P_Patrick

Hi, I have recently bought Harken micro cleats (for the side decks) as i have been told that they are much better than the old ones that i have on my 2001 Race Laser

What I want to know is are the hole sizes different for the micro cleats compared to the older larger ones and if so, what do i do about making a new hole?

Many Thanks

If the hole is too large, you fill and redrill.

If its into a wood backing under the fiberglass:
Oversize drill to make the hole uniform diameter, epoxy in a piece of dowel, then drill into the dowel.
That results in a secure anchor point and the epoxy around the dowel acts as a barrier vs water rotting out more than just the dowel. Very good way to deal with oversize holes.

I think 2001 PSE boats had medium-size Ronstan cleats, which take 5 mm screws. The mounting holes of Micro Harkens are 4 mm in diameter, so yes, you have to get new screws and drill all new holes.

Unscrew the old cleat and position the new cleat so that the new holes aren't too close to the old ones (you need to move it some 15 mm forward, or alternatively to the inside of the non-skid area, depending on where the old cleat is located. It would help if you'd post a picture or two of that area of your boat). Drill through the cleat holes and through the deck with a 3 mm bit, fill the new holes with silicone and fasten the cleat with 4 x 40 mm pan head screws. Fill the old holes with gel coat.

(By the way, the smaller cleats are "better" only in the sense that they're more comfortable to sit on. I have the bigger ones and am not planning to switch.)

I think 2001 PSE boats had medium-size Ronstan cleats, which take 5 mm screws. The mounting holes of Micro Harkens are 4 mm in diameter, so yes, you have to get new screws and drill all new holes.

Unscrew the old cleat and position the new cleat so that the new holes aren't too close to the old ones (you need to move it some 15 mm forward, or alternatively to the inside of the non-skid area, depending on where the old cleat is located. It would help if you'd post a picture or two of that area of your boat). Drill through the cleat holes and through the deck with a 3 mm bit, fill the new holes with silicone and fasten the cleat with 4 x 40 mm pan head screws. Fill the old holes with gel coat.

(By the way, the smaller cleats are "better" only in the sense that they're more comfortable to sit on. I have the bigger ones and am not planning to switch.)
That's great thanks. Is the distance between the Holes on the new cleats still the same size or do the new holes need to be closer together?

The standard hole spacing for medium cleats is 38 mm, and 27 mm for the small ones.

Back