Laser Medal Race; what was he thinking?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Prior to the Olympic Medal Race, Goodison was in first place with 45 points and Myrgren in second with 63. Therefore, Myrgren could only tie Goodison if he got first place (2 points) and Goodison last place (20 points) in the Medal Race.

Now the astonishing: Myrgren decides to 'match race' Goodison. Goodison doesn't care obviously for the above reason. As a result, Myrgren finishes last (Goodison next to last, and smiling all the way). Myrgren not only loses the silver, but the bronze medal as well. What was he thinking? Did he really think he could get Goodison DSQ'd?

Congratulations to Goodison, BTW; he sailed a masterful series under difficult conditions.

Myrgren did not choose to match race, it was Goodison's decision. Only the comments from Gary Jobson suggested it was Myrgren's choice - thats laughable and he should be embarassed!

I was surprised that Goodison decided it was neccessary to match race, after all, he would have had to be last and Myrgren first to loose the gold (assuming the tie break would be who won the medal race) - that seems highly unlikely. I thought he would do what Ben did - race his own race and be near the front.

Nevertheless, Goodison didn't do much to slow him down, they both ended up late for the start, and because the wind dropped, that seemed like it set the stage for them to be at the rear for the entire race. Also, for a while after the start, Myrgren was ahead of Goodison, but was not able to stay ahead. From that point on, Goodison just had to maintain a loose cover (nothing wrong with that).

What it does show is that the venue was awful, and both Laser and Radial medal races were a total crapshoot. Not that Goodison and Anna didn't deserve to win. But, those races were more like a Wednesday night drifter in the summer in Florida than the decider in the Olympics!

How about ITA's Romero pulling off the bronze at 5'7" 154 lbs!?! I know, the races were generally in light air, but I'm still happy to see a shorty like me win a medal in the Laser class. :cool:

How about ITA's Romero pulling off the bronze at 5'7" 154 lbs!?! I know, the races were generally in light air, but I'm still happy to see a shorty like me win a medal in the Laser class. :cool:

There ya go Ross. Check out the size of this guy. While the races were generally light air this guy still beat Andy, (who weighed in at 168) in the heavy breeze races. You just gotta learn to hike by your tippy toes!

Its one thing when you need to protect your position in the series, but a different story when all you have to do is finish anywhere other than last.

I'm probably in the minority but it seems to me that, under the circumstances, hampering a competitor to the extent of totally destroying his regatta standing should be a violation of rule 2.

Its one thing when you need to protect your position in the series, but a different story when all you have to do is finish anywhere other than last.

I'm probably in the minority but it seems to me that, under the circumstances, hampering a competitor to the extent of totally destroying his regatta standing should be a violation of rule 2.

Sailing a tight cover on someone, (and driving them back in the pack because of the tight cover) IMHO is fair game. However, having to turn around and sail the opposite direction of your proper course in oder to go back and try to get the competitor to pick up a foul is, (IMHO) or should be a rule 2 violation.

Perhaps no one has ever tried to argue this type of thing in the protest room.

There is nothing that states you can not do it, but I'd like to see an argument presented using rule 2. I think it would be interesting if properly presented.

Sailing a tight cover on someone, (and driving them back in the pack because of the tight cover) IMHO is fair game. However, having to turn around and sail the opposite direction of your proper course in oder to go back and try to get the competitor to pick up a foul is, (IMHO) or should be a rule 2 violation.

No way is that a rule 2 violation. Check out ISAF case 78. It's perfectly legal to turn around and try to control another boat and if possible draw a foul. It also happens in team racing all the time.

I think you miss the point. Team racing and match racing are different games than fleet racing. There is also a big difference between defending one's position and deliberately hurting someone else when you have nothing whatsoever to gain from it. Very poor sportsmanship if nothing else.

I think you miss the point. Team racing and match racing are different games than fleet racing. There is also a big difference between defending one's position and deliberately hurting someone else when you have nothing whatsoever to gain from it. Very poor sportsmanship if nothing else.

Deliberately hurting someone to gain nothing is definitely poor sportsmanship, no argument with that.

But when Rob says its illegal to turn around and go after someone, it isn't against the rules to do so.

Please ...this is not kindergarden. Everything that was done was within the rules, those of you complaining that its against your sensibilities, thats your opinion and you're entitled to it, but its just that - an opinion!

Besides - I went back and viewed the medal race. Goodison and Myrgren were no where near each other up until 2 minutes before the start. Then Myrgren sails on port out past the committee boat to the starboard extension. Sometimes this area is called coffin corner, because thats where you get at risk of barging into the start line. I think that was a dumb mistake - personally I never do that - I always approach from the pin end on port looking for a hole to tack into. Anyway, Goodison sees that and tacks to follow - and once Myrgren tacks back for the line, it was kids play for Goodison to pin him. Then Myrgren backs his sail to get out, and bears away from the line. By that time it was all over because they were both late for the start, and so already in last and next-last.

From that point on Goodison simply covered, which obviously slowed Myrgren down, but M had the chance to get by G, right after the start he had startboard advantage, but was not able to take advantage.

But when Rob says its illegal to turn around and go after someone, it isn't against the rules to do so.[/QUOTE]

I understand it's not against the rules, but I FEEL it should be. It's my opinion that it goes against fair sailing in a fleet racing scenario at least.

Based on previous posts, I also took another look at the (NBC) video and I must admit that I dropped the baton :eek:.

I agree with J24_4208 that Myrgren (M) didn't try to match race Goodison (G), but M sure had a poor start (starting strategy), considering he had to defend his second place position. At 0.5 min to go, both M and G were about eight boat lengths away from the line, in light wind. Perhaps the wind had dropped more than they expected. This didn't matter to G, of course.
Immediately after his (late) start M tacks away onto port, but rather than continuing a bit, he tacks back soon after that. I guess he felt a shift. G basically covers, but all this tacking slowed both sailors down compared to the rest of the fleet. At this point, only a Tunnicliffe type miracle could have saved M's silver medal.

All in all, I believe that M only has himself to blame for a poorly executed start.

Back