Laser Mast Step Repair (not A Kit)

Steve Foley

This is a short video slide show on a Laser mast step repair. Very easy and very quick. This was a dry older boat that was purchased for $200. It weighed in at just over 130 lbs. Repair took just two days and was sailed the following day. It is a very fast boat. I have three lasers and this boat is my favorite sail! We named it "Open Heart"
check out my other video "Aquasport new tank install".
Any questions will be answered promptly.

Thanks
Steve Harwichport MA

I just picked up a stripped laser hull (#8000) for free (and well worth the price) that had the deck destroyed and a hole through the bottom. I cut a slightly larger hole in the deck as it was ALL torn up. I repaired the hole in the bottom, made a new step fo rthe base of the tube, patched the mast tube back together and braced it at the deck level....but am unsure that I got the mast angle right. I don't have a mast, which seemed necessary to measure the angle. Help would be good. Finding a rig would even be better.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
I just picked up a stripped laser hull (#8000) for free (and well worth the price) that had the deck destroyed and a hole through the bottom. I cut a slightly larger hole in the deck as it was ALL torn up. I repaired the hole in the bottom, made a new step fo rthe base of the tube, patched the mast tube back together and braced it at the deck level....but am unsure that I got the mast angle right. I don't have a mast, which seemed necessary to measure the angle. Help would be good. Finding a rig would even be better.
Gary, Find a good laser and make a plywood jig to fit down the mast hole (make an adjustable "T" out of plywood and clamp it in the hole) . You can then transfer the correct rake to your boat. You could also use an adjustable square.

What is more critical than rake (and likely to have a more signification effect on boat performance) is the side-side alignment rather than the fore-aft alignment.

there is a boat at my club that has got this issue (i came out the factory like this). It goes really well on port but is terrible on starboard. We measured the 'sode to side' rake and discovered the mast was 2-3 degrees off the vertical.

Fore and aft does make a differenece (look at what stayed boats do with rake in varying wind strengths) but this measure is probably not as critical as the side to side 'rake' on an unstayed right like the Laser.

Must of b
What is more critical than rake (and likely to have a more signification effect on boat performance) is the side-side alignment rather than the fore-aft alignment.

there is a boat at my club that has got this issue (i came out the factory like this). It goes really well on port but is terrible on starboard. We measured the 'sode to side' rake and discovered the mast was 2-3 degrees off the vertical.

Fore and aft does make a differenece (look at what stayed boats do with rake in varying wind strengths) but this measure is probably not as critical as the side to side 'rake' on an unstayed right like the Laser.
Must have been built on a friday

[QUOTE = "jeffers, post: 112067, miembro: 7628"] Medimos el rastrillo 'sode to side' y descubrimos que el mástil estaba a 2-3 grados de la vertical [/ QUOTE]
¡Muy interesante! ¿Habrial algún tutorial para hacer esas medidas?

Back