Laser Mast Repair - connector sleeve

watkin36

The connector sleeve on the upper section of my laser mast cracked, so I've drilled out the rivets and removed it. The existing hole is larger than 3/16th, which is the rivet size I expected to use. It seems like 7/32. Can anyone confirm if this is standard? I'm not the original owner, so it's possible it was modified.

Second question - the new connector sleeve is incredible snug around the mast, which seems like a good thing, However, it's virtually impossible to align the hole in the sleeve to the hole in the mast. If I can't get it aligned, how much structural integrity would I lose by just drilling a new hole?

Thanks!

I am by no means a go-to-guy for repairs, but I suggest you use a lubricant on the second job you mentioned above (and not drill a new hole).

To put the plastic sleeve on a top mast warm it up with a hot air gun gently and it will easily slide on and you can realign the holes. Don't drill anymore holes! Just imagine the number of top masts that have failed because of that hole! It's known as built in obsalescence.

End for end will be best. You can drill a nice new stress concentrator:) Is now a good time to get into where the rivet should be while sailing?

I am by no means a go-to-guy for repairs, but I suggest you use a lubricant on the second job you mentioned above (and not drill a new hole).
This was my first intuition, but the sleeve is so tight the lubricant doesn't do much good. My hands ended up too slippery to move the sleeve.

To put the plastic sleeve on a top mast warm it up with a hot air gun gently and it will easily slide on and you can realign the holes. Don't drill anymore holes! Just imagine the number of top masts that have failed because of that hole! It's known as built in obsalescence.

End for end will be best. You can drill a nice new stress concentrator:) Is now a good time to get into where the rivet should be while sailing?
The heat gun is a good idea! That's my next try.

Back