Laser Mainsheets

lasereng

Has anyone used laser's 5.5mm mainsheet?? If so, is it manageable to use across all conditions or should it only be used in lighter winds? my 6mm has recently begun to perish and just researching before i buy a new one!!

thanks

i dont know but reckon 5.5mm sounds way to thin for heavy winds!!! someone may put me right though!!

heard rooster 6mm is a good one for all conditions too.

Has anyone used laser's 5.5mm mainsheet?? If so, is it manageable to use across all conditions or should it only be used in lighter winds? my 6mm has recently begun to perish and just researching before i buy a new one!!

thanks

I doubt half a mm will make much difference. I have a 6mm Maffioli for regular breeze and a 8mm Bzzz for big breeze. I think i've used the Bzzz once or twice. 6mm has been fine for me in almost all conditions... especially if you wear gloves.

Perhaps I've just got wimpy hands, but I usually switch from the 6mm Rooster to the 7mm Bzzz at about 10 kts. I just find it more comfortable, and at that wind strength I don't see much advantage in having a light sheet.

I use the Rooster 6mm in all conditions and have found it to be fine. I do own the 7mm rooster but haven't used it for a very long time. I don't wear gloves and find the 6mm is fine for me.

My new spool of 7 mm BZZZ arrived today and I already cut off three mainsheets from it.

The BZZZ doesn't tangle, costs less than the Rooster, lasts longer, and is easier on the hands.

I have a brand new Rooster in my spare parts bag that is now nearly ten years old.

Actually, one guy borrowed it for the last day of a regatta once.

I'd hate to be the Roozzduhr salesman.

My line costs more, doesn't last as long, hurts like hell in heavy winds and it tangles up in nearly permanent knots whenever your cockpit accumulates more than a couple centimeters of water over the sole.

Or the Maphyoily salesman

My lin doesn't do damn thing for your finishes and doesn't hold up as well as the BZZZ but it costs about five times as much!!

I say use the BZZZ and save your money for the new $1000 Grand Prix Olympic Regatta Official Class Approved Laser All Star Racing sail scheduled to be introduced real soon.

have you found that the rooster one tangles at all when water is in the cockpit as gouvernail is saying?

thanks everyone for the tips !! love the description of the new sail, when is it actually due?

I use the Rooster 6mm in all conditions and have found it to be fine. I do own the 7mm rooster but haven't used it for a very long time. I don't wear gloves and find the 6mm is fine for me.

As long as you properly dead end the rooster rope then it stays tangle free. If you don't dead end it then all manner of knots form at just the wrong moment - usually when trying to bear away in a gust :eek:

As long as you properly dead end the rooster rope then it stays tangle free. If you don't dead end it then all manner of knots form at just the wrong moment - usually when trying to bear away in a gust :eek:

What method do you use for dead ending it? I have tried a few and find that one downside of the 6mm is that it tangles more than the larger diameter sheets.

I have one end tied off in the boat. I then pull the length of the rope out straight across the dinghy park/slipway. Do not let go of the end of the rope. Feed it through all blocks on the boat and tie off the other end.

This usually works for me. Also keep the rope nicely coiled when not in use.

I have one end tied off in the boat. I then pull the length of the rope out straight across the dinghy park/slipway. Do not let go of the end of the rope. Feed it through all blocks on the boat and tie off the other end.

This usually works for me. Also keep the rope nicely coiled when not in use.

Perhaps I need to be more neat with it then. I tried the same method but always ended up with loops forming into knots. While I continue to tie the end to the hiking strap with my 7 mm, I just use a stopper knot in the 6mm as it seems easier to untangle that way.

Back