laser m?

captainJack987

I was looking thru my 81 laser manual and it has eperate instrucions for the laser m. I dont see any today and i was wondering what happened to them. If any one could give me a little history on them i would appreciate it.

it was a lower sail area rig. It used the Full rig bottom section mast with a special M top section. A unique feature was the M rig sail was able to be raised and lowered with a halyard. It has since been replaced by the 4.7 rig.

I do not know how where or why but I have a M top section.

I have a M set up, and it goes upwind line a dog, thank god that thing died out, with the Full bottom section, it just didn't get the right bend.

it was a lower sail area rig. It used the Full rig bottom section mast with a special M top section. A unique feature was the M rig sail was able to be raised and lowered with a halyard. It has since been replaced by the 4.7 rig.

I do not know how where or why but I have a M top section.

The early Radial rigs also had the ability to use a halyard. I think the M was replaced by the Radial

The halayard wass a good idea i would love to be able to do it with my full rig.

captainJack987: Maybe the haleyard has been a good idead in theory. But in use it didn't worked well. If one tightens strong the cunningham, immediately the load of the haleyrad goes down. You understand? Think to a string of a bow: If you bend the bow, the string loses load. This is the same at the rig with that haleyard: The Cunningham bend the mast, if you put load on it and the haleyard loses tension. Thats bad for frontside of the sail, the luff.
Ciao
LooserLu

I see, but it would be nice. Or there could be some clip with a quick release that the string ran down the mast and came out below the gooseneck or something. So you would still have a halayrd but there would be a clip to secure it. so it would just be like the current system.

...Or there could be some clip with a quick release that the string ran down the mast and came out below the gooseneck or something. So you would still have a halayrd but there would be a clip to secure it. so it would just be like the current system.
Inside of the mast is not very useful. The Lasermast (no matter if it is a Radial or a Standard version) is made out of 2 pieces, as we all know. One have to find a way for the line of the haleyard to go through the upper mast section.... Not easy to realize such a solution. It is possible to consruct such a solution, but the uppermast section wouldn't be dry inside any longer. Imagine, you capsize and the upper mast section takes a lot of water inside... It would be much more difficult to rise up the boat again. Also, the extra load that the maststep gets, in reason of the extra water inside of the upper mast section (I mean the so called momentum-force during the Hull is turned back into the usually position aft a captsize), perhaps for old maststeps is so high, that the tupe of the maststep probably bursts at the lower fixing inside of the hull or at the deck-hole.... oops...

The M did have a halyard cleat at the top of the mast.

But a better idea is like the Finn mast, and use a halyard lock, but the principle is the same

Even though there are obsticles and problems to overcome it would be nice to raise and lower the sail. It would also make reefing easier.

Back