Laser M Rig Attachment

Vento

Hi all - just joined and would appreicate some help from the many knowledgable people there appear to be in the forum.

I have just bought a 1981 Laser that came with many things including an M rig. I have Googled this and I'm familiar with it and its history - except I can find no info on how to rig it. The Sail has a large webbing loop and the top mast section has a fairlead and a cleat. This looks like some form of downhaul arrangements but I'm not sure how it is rigged? If this is the case, it seems that it might be easier to just rig a line and stopper at the top like the Topper has?

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me and provide any tips. Dumping the M for a proper Radial is already on my list so let's jump over that please :)

My dad's boat has that, and the one time we used it we just tied the head of the sail to the webbing/metal (depending on which one you have) part, making a loop. So it didnt act as a halyard, but more as a regular Laser sail.

Tyler

Thanks for the info. It is not a very elegant design , no wonder the Radial was born.

I'll just fix the sail loop to the masthead fairlead unless anyone has a better idea.:cool:

Back