Media Laser Island Voyages Back In The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perseid Meteor Shower tonight & tomorrow night, peaks late Sunday & early Monday, should be good this year with no moon in the sky. This shower has always been my favorite, due to luck and good timing while observing it from the summit of Isla Norte roughly a quarter-century ago. If you're in a location with minimal light pollution, you should see plenty of action this weekend. Cheers!!! :rolleyes:

Got a lot done today, soon the only task left will be to break down the 8' pool table for transport, no way that table gets left behind when I own $4000 worth of pool equipment. Looking forward to living near the ocean again, think I'll go peruse the boat ads on C/L to see what I can find... a nice fast sailboat on a trailer for about a grand would work, LOL. :cool:

Funny whatcha can find on C/L, check out this random assortment of links, starting with this sweet Thistle:

Thistle Sail Boat #2344

Another bad girl:

Kettenburg PC 32

Here's that wooden schooner I saw earlier, nice woodwork in a smaller schooner, but you'd still be a slave to varnish, LOL:

Malabar II Schooner Sailboat For Sale - Legacy

A cool Viper 640, always wanted to try one of these:

viper 640

Here's the overpriced Lido 14 I like, maybe the price will drop by the time I get up to the PNW and get situated, aye?

Lido 14' Salboat with Trailer

Soling, anyone??? Bad girl at a relatively cheap price:

Olympic Class Soling

And for a cool liveaboard experience, the classic Army Tug---guess the Army got tired of asking the Navy for tugs, LOL:

Tug - Fellows&Stewart U.S. Army ST-2133

There were other classic boats for sale, but these will do for now... I'm off to mack a ginormous hot & spicy homemade chicken & shrimp burrito with all the trimmings, last one of the batch, WOOHOO!!! CHEERS!!! :cool:

Heard this old tune while cruising in my rig today... somehow it reminded me of the good ol' days of Laser sailing, patrolling the beach in Coronado at the height of summer, surfing the Point in the Laser when conditions were just right, and heading out to the islands off Baja for another camping expedition & wilderness experience. :cool:

Always liked this tune by Tom T. Hall, it's a good one... the new stuff doesn't cut it, gotta go with the tried & true classics, LOL. :rolleyes:

Seeing all these hummingbirds at the feeders hanging outside my windows reminds me of an incident which occurred in the yard of the ol' beach cottage in Coronado. That yard was pretty cool, we had an ol' open-sided shotgun shack carport from the '50s where I stored spars & sail gear and wrenched on dirt bikes, a whole corner by the gate where I did glasswork & painted boats (called it the West African Boatyard), and a decent-sized concrete slab patio which was surrounded on three sides by house walls. Despite a small flowering tree and numerous shrubs, potted plants, etc., this area was like a reflector oven and baked under the hot sun, hence we called it "Cabo Corner"---the rest of the yard was a garden paradise, with all sorts of flowering trees and bushes, birds cruising to and fro, bees buzzing from flower to flower, the whole nine yards. The entire setup was PERFECT for BBQing, and when I was a younger man we'd have huge BBQs with a dozen friends as guests, guys I knew who'd bring their girlfriends or wives over to par-tay and eventually mack heller grinds, AYE??? :rolleyes:

On the day this incident occurred, however, it was still midafternoon and I was kicking it with some hand I used to know... we were both done for the day, work-wise, so we were enjoying a few cold beers on the patio, right? Listening to tunes, swapping lies, having a good laugh or two, that sorta thing... and while we were there, enjoying the pleasant afternoon weather, I noticed a hummingbird repeatedly hitting the feeder which was hanging from a wooden beam of the nearby carport. A section of the carport hung out over a flower bed, with an open lath panel nailed atop this section: potted plants hung from the wooden framework, while the hummingbird feeder occupied an outer corner of that framework, since it was an easily accessible location. As the hummingbird hit the feeder, I also noticed that the feeder was low on sugar water... it was time to take it down, clean it, and refill it with fresh juice, 10-4? So I stood up, walked over to the feeder, unhooked it and removed the base so I could drain what was left of the fluid into the flower bed below. So far, so good... :D

Well, about that time, Old Nick decided to make an appearance... that wily ol' Devil planted a bad idea in my head and then forced my hand, don'tcha know??? I took that empty hummingbird feeder and refilled it halfway with an open beer, then hung it back up on the hook to see what would happen, yeah??? The clown with me was laughing as I did this---like me, he was an old partyer from way back in the day. Well, that little hummer who had been hitting the feeder every few moments, he came zooming in front & center while we both sat back to watch, and that little bird took a big ol' swoozle of beer before he figured out that it was NOT sugar water, LOL. Poor little guy shook his head and gave us his best impersonation of Curly from "The Three Stooges"---"Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!"---before shaking his head and zooming away with a violent swerve, narrowly avoiding the neighbor's chimney as he flew off. Little guy's metabolism was like an F-18, he probably got ripped from one good guzzle o' beer, AYE??? :eek:

Now, don't get me wrong, I love hummingbirds, they are my favorite birds of all---except perhaps for Ye Olde Thanksgiving Turkey, LOL---and the little guy wasn't harmed by his unexpected libation, I saw him the very next morning hitting the correctly-refilled feeder as usual. When he guzzled that beer, got instantly ripped and began FUI (Flying Under the Influence), he just had to go home and sleep it off, same as the rest of us. I gotta admit, it WAS pretty funny when we sandbagged him with the beer, the little guy sure took a long drink before he figured out it wasn't sugar water, LOL. His classic Curly impersonation was hilarious too, I swear I heard him copy Curly verbatim, one wingtip under the other armpit as he emulated my screen idol, LOL. I know hummers too, this was definitely a brightly-colored male, I wouldn't have gone so far as to sandbag a nursing female, AYE??? Our hooliganism DID have limits back in those days. Anyway, that's the story of how we once put beer in the hummingbird feeder, thankfully there was no fatality wreck as the little guy zoomed off with a high-speed weave, LOL. ;)

TIME FOR ANOTHER COLD ONE, Y'ALL BE GOOD, AND DON'T GO PUTTING ANY BEER IN THE HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER, "10-DASH-FO'???" :cool:

Pics of my crew here in the White Mountains:

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

Sage kickin' it on the leather sofa, Crackhead roused from his beauty sleep, LOL... :eek:

P.S. Crackhead has a minor facial deformity, but no worries... round here we judge animals on character and personality, AYE??? :rolleyes:

Well, my future career as an extreme athlete fell through, I was kicked to the curb for being too old and for having too many brain cells killed by heavy partying back in the day, don'tcha know??? So I've decided to become a nautical armchair expert... gonna be the first jackhole in maritime history to have a compass mounted on my La-Z-Boy Recliner, AYE? Might have to install a second compass on my laptop so I can navigate to the fridge for more beer, maybe some heller grinds when I get hungry. Probably slap a Harken winch on the console of my leather motorized reclining sofa so I can haul in the TV remote when I'm feeling lazy... substitute a trucker's p!$$ jug for a bailer, no point in ruining my new carpet, LOL. I'm feeling good about this career change, I'd never make it as a scumbag politician or gubmint union greaseball... too honest to fit into that whole clusterf#% of corruption. Meh, armchair expert it is... time for another beer, let me set a course for the kitchen, better bust out the chart so I don't get lost, YEAH??? :confused:

Hmm, first order of business as a nautical armchair expert is to post this "Russian collusion" video link of Rory Gallagher:

RORY GALLAGHER - "A Million Miles Away" - (Irish Tour 1974) – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | виктор люлькин

Here's a copy of the original just in case the first video doesn't go through, AYE??? :rolleyes:

Those pogues at Rolling Stone Magazine once asked Jimi Hendrix how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist, and Jimi replied:

"I DON'T KNOW... GO ASK RORY GALLAGHER." :cool:

P.S. When that keyboard hand starts jammin' toward the end of the video, that is actually footage of MOI trimming my old Laser & Minifish, LOL... ;)

Last edited:
Here's a link to pics of yesterday's gravesite visit & tribute ride to Jingle Belle, don't forget to start the video so you can hear Jingle Belle's song, same way I did when I was out there in the forest. :(

"Got Chrome??? How about Armor???"

There are actually six rounds of pics, but one leads into the next, and so on... poor little Jingles, I still miss her, she was only 16 months old when the demon poison took her away from us. :confused:

I was perusing boat ads up in the PNW, and I figured I'd share a few results of my search. Check out the woodwork in this bad girl, sellers must be high on crack if they think they'll get that much for her, but ya never know, some rich clown may throw down the money... though I never met any rich folk who were willing to row, LOL.

14 Ft. Classic Whitehall Rowboat

Sure is pretty woodwork... here's a little boat I'd buy if she came with a trailer:

14' C Lark sailboat o.b.o

Here's a boat named "Gesundheit!!!" Not my first choice but the name adds character, LOL.

14' Sailing Dinghy & Trailer

And now, a powerboat from that era when boat manufacturers made boats which resembled cars... a marketing strategy to sell boats to common folks who were comfortable with driving cars but lacked nautical experience. I always liked the ones with curved windscreens myself, but this is still a good example of craft from that era. Pretty good preservation/restoration job too, she looks like something that just rolled off the Chrysler line, LOL.

Classic 17ft 1968 Silverline Deville

And last but not least, a boat for those cult classic fans into the original "MAD MAX" and "THE ROAD WARRIOR"---WTF, it's only $500, and Webfoot1 can give good advice on power washing and other methods of cleanup, I'm thinking gasoline & a lit match, LOL:

Sailboat for sale

And that concludes the presentation, I'll probably wind up buying that C-15 on a trailer for under a grand, the one I pinged on earlier, but we'll see what happens once I get up there in the PNW. Friend Doug the Moonshine Man is already up there, probably cooking a fresh batch of 'shine out of mash & pine needles, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:
Making progress on the preparations for relocation... I'm staging the last boxloads of stuff, trying to draw the fine line between what can be packed away and what I might still need for the rest of my stay here in the White Mountains. I also have to finish scientifically loading all my camping gear into the trunk of the Mighty Camry, though I'd better wash the car first, it's still dirty from my little offroading adventure the other day.

Once I get up to WA and throw the cats in a boarding kennel, then unload my household goods into storage and drop off the rental truck, I intend to camp out for 2-3 weeks, and I want all my field equipment in the car so I can make it happen pronto. Gotta put it in the trunk for now though, that will give the two cats more room in the cabin of the sedan as they ride the tow dolly... no way I hear their complaints in the truck cab for 1300+ miles, LOL.

No worries, the kittehs will have food, water, litter box, etc., in the Camry, and the windows will be cracked far enough to ensure ample ventilation. Probably crack all the vents too, depends upon the exhaust system of the rental truck... don't want my cats sucking fumes & getting gassed by some "weed burner" exhaust pipe. No future in that, I want healthy beach and/or harbor kittehs once I buy a fixer up there in western WA.

That camping trip will be radical, I already chose one campground in which to stay while I tour homes for sale... after I sign the paperwork on my new home (a fixer, no doubt, but new to me), and I have to wait for escrow to close, I'll start camping up and down the Olympic Peninsula. That's gonna be a blast, camping on the beach for a day or two, up in the mountains for a day or two, back to the beach, etc., etc., stylin' it the whole time, LOL.

I don't give a flyin' f#% if it rains either, I have full-on mountaineering expedition gear, so my tent has a rain fly, LOL. I'll set up & stake down my oversized beach umbrella if necessary, kickin' it in my oversized camp chair with beer in hand as the BBQ gets going... nothing like steaks & beers while camping, WOOHOO!!! I like Bush's Beans too, they keep my f@rtsack warm at night, LOL. Maybe that's TMI for some sidewalk sissies here, 10-4???

Well, guess I'll grab another cold one outta the fridge... at least I don't hafta move the friggin' appliances this time, they're going with the house when I sell it... no problema, I'll have enough to buy new ones up there in the Evergreen State. Sometime in the next few days, I gotta break down the 8' pool table for transport, I found some carpet remnants I can use to protect the slate, remnants left over from when I redid the carpet here at the house.

ALRIGHT, TIME TO GRAB THAT BEER, THEN I'LL SEE WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON HERE...OR AT THE OTHER SITES I FREQUENT, 10-4??? I DON'T ALWAYS HAVE THE TIME TO DO THIS, BUT MY PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW ME TO SURF THE INTERWEBS, LOL. CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Couldn't sleep, so I pulled my usual remedy: got up, grabbed a cold beer and started looking at boat ads. Saw a few cool boats, but this ad was the standout... a damned good deal for someone who knows how to bring boats up to speed. Hell, you could fix all three, keep the best and sell the other two, LOL. Some club is liquidating older boats in their fleet, the erroneous 8' measurement stems from another ad they ran for 2 Optimist Dinghies, they got the Laser length right lower in the ad. Check out this deal, anybody up there near Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia who wants a Laser and isn't afraid of a little boat work, this could be your ticket... you'd have to pick up or convert a trailer, but who cares? I saw another Laser ad where the seller wanted $3200 for boat & trailer... you could fix these, keep one & sell the others, buy a trailer and still get the best boat for free, plus have plenty o' money left over for steaks & beers, LOL. Meh, here's the ad:

(3) 8' Laser Sailboats plus Parts :eek:

If I were already established on the beach in western WA, I'd probably buy these and just pay the dude a little extra to run 'em out to my house... fix 'em up one by one and sling the other two at my leisure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dang, Burt Reynolds died... not quite as iconic as "The Duke" or Clint Eastwood, but still pretty funny, I liked him in the Bandit flicks, as well as "The Longest Yard" (original version) and "Sharky's Machine"---"I'M GONNA PULL THE CHAIN!!!" Ah, well, so it goes, one more old school Hollywood actor down... :confused:

R.I.P., BANDIT, NOW YOU'LL BE HANGIN' WITH JERRY REED ONCE AGAIN... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

"EASTBOUND & DOWN, LOADED UP & TRUCKIN', WE'RE GONNA DO WHAT THEY SAY CAN'T BE DONE... " :cool:

"GOT A LONG WAY TO GO AND A SHORT TIME TO GET THERE..." ;)

Last edited:
Whooooowheeeeee!!! I'm having a blast camping on the beach and in the forest, but the first few nights were like being back in the Infantry... I was sleeping on two thin foam pads on the cold hard ground, but I wised up and bought a thick-@$$ air mattress and another f@rtsack, so now I'm STYLIN' with a bag below me and a bag over me like a blanket, LOL. Been drinking good beer and eating gourmet grinds round a campfire every night, this outdoor gig is ROUGH but SOMEBODY has to do it, 10-4? Here's a link to pics I just posted, shots taken during my camping & home touring trip... ya might find earlier shots on the preceding page of this thread:

Weather has been awesome lately, clear blue skies and sunshine, WOOHOO!!! Heller breeze here at times, gonna be good sailing once I get situated, gotta watch the tides & fog, I reckon. There are shoals too, I'll probably buy a chart before I ever leave shore, LOL. Hey, Norcalsail, there's actually SURF in Westport, which is a cool little burg, you'll see shots of it in that link. I could easily live there, just gotta find the house... one home was on the market but the seller pulled the listing after finding a renter, I asked the realtor to contact the seller so we'll see what happens. Fishing fleet in Westport is bad@$$, I might wind up working aboard one of those charter boats, LOL. I'm LOVIN' the salt air and fresh seafood here!!!

GOTTA GO, I'M GETTING HUNGRY FOR A BOWL OF CLAM CHOWDER AND SOME GOOD GRILLED FISH, FRESH CAUGHT BY THE FLEET IN WESTPORT. AFTER NEARLY TWO YEARS IN THE BEAUTIFUL WHITE MOUNTAINS OF ARIZONA, I'M DIGGIN' THESE NEW SURROUNDINGS, LOL. CHEERS!!! :cool:

This coastal redneck rig had my name written all over it:

Gotta stretch that roof rack to accommodate a Laser or Fish, LOL... but this is a burly Mercury rig for cruising trails or the beach. It's still legal to drive down the beach here at friggin' freeway speed, but the Mighty Camry will probably get stuck. Need a rig like this with big ol' tires on it... when in doubt, all I gotta do is mash on it, LOL. :eek:

Posted the surf contest pics at that same site, just use the last link to access 'em. Awesome sailing weather this week in the twin harbors and offshore, a whole week of blue skies & sunshine... I'll take it, LOL. I'm zeroing in on some properties here, might wind up in Raymond or Westport, which is a cool little burg... nice surfing & bathing beach there too. The jetty south of the entrance to Grays Harbor is a freakin' MONSTER... the damned engineers did a job of work on that one, LOL. :eek:

GOTTA GO, I'M PLANNING A JAILBREAK FOR THE KITTEHS ON WEDNESDAY, THEY CAN START CAMPING ON THE BEACH WITH ME WHILE I FINISH MY SEARCH FOR A NEW HOME... NEW TO ME, BUT I'LL FIX IT UP AND MAKE IT STYLIN', AYE??? :rolleyes:

FILET MIGNON TONIGHT IN CAMP... HAD A PRIMO CRAB OMELET YESTERDAY AT THE CONTEST (TO GO ORDER), THEN SOME CLAM CHOWDER & CRAB CAKES AFTERWARD. THIS CAMPING GIG IS ROUGH, BUT SOMEBODY HAS TO DO IT!!! :confused:

CHEERS, YOUSE NAUTICAL HEROES!!! I'LL DRINK SOME KICK@$$ ALE IN YER HONOR WHEN I GET BACK TO CAMP, LOL. ;)

Hey, Norcalsail, check out the glamping pics at that other site, using that last link... the next shots I post (probably happen manana or Monday) will be CLASSIC, I ordered a cord of firewood for my campsite and I just threw down $450 on gear at WallyWorld, since Friend Doug the Moonshine Man is coming down to par-tay, LOL. I'm like Rodney Dangerfield in the Great Outdoors, just WAY over the top, pounding craft beers & burning bacon-wrapped filet mignons from a local butcher, alternating with fresh seafood to mix things up, AYE??? I skipped breakfast this morning, don't wanna gain weight, LOL, even though I'm engaging in all kinds of activity while living in my bivouac site. Got a line on a primo property overlooking the Willapa River, cleanest river in WA State... tell ya more about that later, in fact I'll probably post pics as I continue this crazy adventure I call my life. :eek:

Picture postcard view from a shelf below an undeveloped forested ridge, .38 acres of paradise but feels like 10 or more acres with all that raw land behind and to one side, taxes are only $400 per year, utilities are in, and I can buy the place for $22.5K, LOL. The trailer is a freakin' train wreck, but I'm checking my options with regard to swapping it out, otherwise I'll dump $30-40K into the damned thing and STYLE IT OUT, with a large covered wraparound deck on two sides, new metal Pro Panel roof, new drywall & flooring, all new fixtures & appliances, etc., etc. If I buy this property in South Bend, I'll only be 40-45 minutes away from the primo surfing beach at Westport, as well as kick@$$ sailing on both harbors, LOL. Gotta get back to the campsite to check on the kittehs, I'll be back later like a bad rash to post the most ridiculous glamping photos you've EVER seen, 10-4??? CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. Almost forgot to tell ya, the property is the last one at the end of a road leading up to the shelf under the ridge, total privacy with no thru traffic, tall trees for slinging my Pawleys Island Beach Stripe Hammock, a nice open area on the shelf itself, it's a real sweet setup... or WILL BE once I rehab or replace the nightmare train wreck trailer, LOL. :confused:

Hey, Norcalsail, use that last link and check out the ridiculously-over-the-top glamping pics I just posted at the other site, I'm like Rodney Dangerfield in the Great Outdoors, LOL. Just scroll farther forward in time after clicking the link, you'll see how my two cats & I are living in the forest as I look for a new home. Talked to the building inspector yesterday in South Bend, WA, and he told me what I could do with regard to the property I like, I may wind up ditching the funky old trailer, pouring a slab, and erecting a pole barn which can then be sided, insulated, wired, new flooring put in, etc., etc., all perfectly legal in South Bend, LOL. Some of those pole barns are pretty cool, you can Google "pole barns" and see what I mean, it's just one possible option for me to build a home on the cheap, yet still have a STYLIN' BACHELOR PAD, 10-4??? The land is bee-yoo-ti-ful too, an awesome view of the Willapa River, cleanest river in WA State. South Bend is the self-proclaimed "Oyster Capital of the World" (I think the sign read "Capitol"), and I had the best damned oysters I ever tasted at the River View Restaurant... that ol' boy working as grillmaster knows what he's doing, LOL. Anyway, I gotta go look up some home-related stuff, so I'm outta here for now, just wanted to give ya a "heads up" on the glamping pics, if I keep swilling craft beers & grilling steaks & seafood the way I have since I arrived, I'm gonna start LOOKING like Rodney Dangerfield, LOL. All I need now is to drop anchor through Ted Knight's boat... that was such a CLASSIC SCENE, gotta like ol' Rodney, AYE??? He was pretty funny in "NATURAL BORN KILLERS" too, downright hilarious... CHEERS!!! :cool:

Posted more pics at the other site, had a blast yesterday while partying like a rock star in the forest... wore my car battery down while cranking loud music all day, had to get the maintenance man at the park to help me jumpstart the Mighty Camry (I had cables, I owe the dude some beer, LOL). I actually have free roadside assistance through my USAA auto insurance, but the program isn't that good, two different garages/towing agencies/ service providers couldn't locate South Bend, WA, LOL. I finally got tired of waiting and just asked the maintenance man to help me out. Running around again today, but I have an appointment with the realtor manana to work up and sign a written offer on this property I really like, just gotta figure out terms & whatnot. I wanna get a few more estimates on pole barns and slab work before I commit, I'll make those calls this afternoon as I do laundry. Once I'm done, back to the glampsite to crack a cold beer, LOL. Can't wait till I have the property, then I can buy a boat... I guess that one Lido 14 already sold, I don't see it on C/L anymore. Meh, there'll be others, and I might buy a different class too, all depends upon what's for sale once I'm situated on my new property. I'm off to do laundry... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Holy Cow!!! I'm having the time of my life glamping in the forest, should be signing on that property tomorrow or Wednesday, just wanna ask the building inspector a few more questions before I commit. There are some HOT WIMMIN in this area, I've met two SMOKIN' HOT GALS just this last week, and I have a "date" with two other gals by the fire in my campsite tonight, they're bicyclists traveling down the coast and they already spent one night with no fire... I told 'em I had a cord of firewood delivered to my campsite, and I'm almost ready to order another, LOL. WTF, I like blazing campfires, makes life easier in the field, 10-4??? So the gals will join me tonight and tell me all about their big cycling adventure... not my cuppa tea, too goddam dangerous, give me close-proximity wingsuit flight instead, it's WAY SAFER, LOL. Alright, youse nautical hee-roes, time to go do laundry before the pile rivals K2... Norcalsail, you scratch up that hull a bit more yet??? LOL. Can't wait to go sailing here, or up off the beach in Westport, I wanna see that monster jetty up close without having to hike out to the tip of it, that thing's a BEAST, AYE??? I'm off to tackle the laundry pile, CHEERS, YOUSE KNUCKLEHAIDS!!! :cool:

Posted more pics at the other site, heaps of nautical history here, LOL. Signed an offer on the property I like, but the owner/seller is in the boondocks in Alaska, so there's a slight lag or delay in communications. As a cash buyer, I expect to close within three weeks, then erect a steel building and pour a slab in that thing... it's done backwards with pole barns & steel buildings, gotta use the base of the building itself as a form for the concrete, aye??? Once that's done, I wire it up and finish it out, then I'll be in business, LOL. One end of the building will be a mini pool hall, the other will be walled off for master bedroom & full bath, kitchen & dining area in the middle somewhere, along with appliances, laundry machines, etc. Water heater inside if possible, cool décor everywhere, picture windows looking out to the forest & the Willapa River, big ol' wraparound BBQ deck on two sides of the structure, etc., etc. Gotta run... Norcalsail, check out some of those historic ship shots I just posted, they're radical, especially that five-masted tall ship, she's something else!!! Back to the glamping routine, had another cord of wood delivered since I already burned the first cord, LOL. Rodney Dangerfield has NOTHIN' on me, I tell ya... I'm LIVIN' LARGE in the forest but I'll be glad to start building my new home. No worries, got plenty o' money left, I was shot down in flames by the librarian gal I liked but that'll probably save me money in the long run, LOL. I'm off to glamp and pound cold beers, HASTA LUEGO, MARINEROS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. Building will probably be 30' x 60', which makes for 1800 square feet inside, or damned close... good enough for this bachelor and his cats, the wraparound deck will add even more room so we'll be STYLIN', LOL. Walls 12' high, I like a somewhat taller interior, and the picture windows will make it lighter & airier inside. If I save enough money by going this route, I'll put a hot tub on the open end of the deck, leave the long side covered for wet weather. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Norcalsail, check the pics I posted today, awesome weather here in paradise, LOL. Learned more about steel buildings this afternoon, my friend & I are gonna put up a clearance model kit building, something ready to go so I can have it shipped pronto, AYE? :rolleyes:

"CONTRACTORS?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING CONTRACTORS!!!" :confused:

Might hafta hire a subcontractor or two, but I'll still save heller money, probably leave me enough to put a hot tub on that wraparound deck, LOL, and STILL have money in the bank, 10-4??? ;)

CHEERS!!! I'M BACK TO THE GLAMPING NUMBER, SUN IS SINKING TOWARD THE HORIZON... :cool:

Man, oh man, this weather is PRIMO, LOL... I'm thinking "climate change" has come to the PNW. Norcalsail, check the pics I just posted at the other site, got a whole week of similar weather ahead. Suits me fine, makes glamping even easier, LOL. Gotta run, I'm on the fly getting things done, and I'm looking forward to signing on the property for real and ordering that building pronto. Gonna pour our own slab, save heller money that way, and y'all know I'm a notoriously cheap bastard, LOL. CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. This kinda weather would make for heller sailing outta Westport... turns out Willapa Bay is not ideal for sailing, too many hazards to navigation and much of the shoreline is privately owned, which may include rights which extend out into the bay. Meh, no worries, I plan to sail outta Westport anyway, that beach and monster jetty are just too cool. I heard from locals that the jetty which juts out from the mouth of the Columbia River is even bigger, hard to believe when the Westport jetty is FREAKIN' HUGE!!! :eek:

Ordered my steel building today, my new home/mini pool hall will be 30' x 50' x10', pitched roof will add clearance in the center. Kittehs & I will have roughly 1500 square feet inside, wraparound deck will add living & recreational area. Things are finally starting to move with regard to the seller, he's in the boondocks of Alaska so there's a lag or delay in communication... but that killer property overlooking the Willapa River will be MINE soon enough, then come the tasks of pouring the slab and erecting the building. Kittehs & I are hangin' tough in our glampsite, despite the BIG BAD BIRD (bald eagle the size of a dragon) which occasionally soars overhead... thing is a freakin' monster, must stand waist-high and it has a wingspan of 7' or 8', easy. Weather here is still primo, I'm gonna take credit for bringing "climate change" to the PNW, LOL. Norcalsail, check the sunset pics I just posted, I'm lovin' my campground, probably miss it when I finally move onto my new property and start building my home. I'm off to the glampsite to crack a cold beer and watch another kick@$$ sunset over the bay & ocean... a $h!tty job, but SOMEBODY has to do it, AYE??? CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Here's a link to last night's sunset pics in the forest, scroll back in time to see other recent photos:

P.S. I could be spending $85 per night for some fleabag motel room in Aberdeen, that friggin' tweeker crack slum, but instead I'm paying 1/4 of that amount to live in PARADISE!!! Works for me!!! LOL. HASTA LUEGO!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Holy Cow!!! This place just gets better & better, LOL... hey, Norcalsail, check out the pics I just posted at the other site, this place is friggin' PARADISE!!! Don't sweat visiting Europe, it's nowhere near as good as it was from '68 to '73, when I lived in Athens, Greece, and traveled throughout Western Europe with my family in a VW Bus every summer, aye??? Toured something like 17 countries over a series of summers... regular paradise back then, now not so much, LOL. Meh, it has NOTHIN' on the PNW now that "climate change" has arrived... I'm taking credit for that change with the locals, 10-4??? This place is GOLDEN, and it's also recommended by Joel Skousen, if ya know who he is... plenty o' work too, no shortage of jobs in this neck o' the woods. Hey, check out the CLASSIC SHIPWRECK PHOTOS I just posted at the other site, don't have time to post 'em everywhere, ya know? Gotta run right now, I'm having my THIRD CORD o' firewood delivered to my campsite at 1700, that makes three in what, three weeks??? LOL. This glamping is ROUGH, but SOMEBODY has to do it, 10??? I've been in the field for over a month, and I'm ready to live in the forest permanently, LOL. File a "Change of Address" form with the local Post Office... I'm off to par-tay, HASTA LUEGO!!! :cool:

P.S. Real estate deal is going through, steel building is ordered, now it's time to chillax, LOL. :rolleyes:

Aaaaaarrrrgghh!!! My brain is FRIED from wading through building plans, gubmint regulations & building codes, etc., etc., time to head back to the glampsite and PAR-TAY, LOL. All this b.s. for a simple rectangular building, you'd think we were building the freakin' Taj Mahal!!! Damn, I long for the good ol' frontier days when a hand could put up a log or stone cabin without any gubmint interference, just potential SCALPING by hostile Injuns, LOL. Gimme the Injuns any day of the week, WAY less headache that way, even WITH the scalping, 10-4??? Meh, enough fact & figures for one day, time to return to the glampsite and GET MY DRANK ON, MAYBE TAKE A HIT O' CHRONIC... the ANTIDOTE to overwhelming GUBMINT BULL$H!T, LOL. :confused:

CHEERS, YOUSE NAUTICAL HEE-ROES!!! NORCALSAIL, I POSTED MORE PICS FROM MY NEW SITE, I HAD TO MOVE CLOSER TO THE MAIN CAMPGROUND LOOP BECAUSE THEY CLOSED THE SPUR ROAD FOR THE WINTER. NO WORRIES, MY NEW SITE STILL ROCKS, AND THERE AREN'T THAT MANY VISITORS THIS LATE IN THE YEAR. :rolleyes:

Steel building outfit is starting to backpedal on some of their promises, I'm thinking of drop-kicking the pogues like I'm STARRIN' in the NFL and simply buying a fixer I looked at before, the banksters who own the fixer would probably take $45K for it. It has 1600+ square feet, all utilities in place, and it sits on over an acre of primo land, including tall trees and a large meadow or clearing. Downside is the yearly taxes of $850 or so, but I could deal with that... give me an excuse to get a job, LOL. We'll see if the banksters take the offer, the building has a nice metal roof and the interior is salvageable, it'd take some work but my friends & I could make it STYLIN' within a few short weeks. It does have a huge living room up front with nice picture windows, perfect spot for the 8' pool table. All fixtures & appliances would need to be replaced, but I can handle that, no worries. Save me the trouble & headache of dealing with gubmint tards and steel building salesmen who renege on promises, LOL. Moi, I'm a man of my word, I say what I mean and mean what I say, AYE??? No faster way to get drop-kicked outta my life than to spray lies or bull$h!t… I don't have time for jackholes like that, I'll scrape 'em outta my life like dog$h!t off my f#%ng boot. CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. Six straight weeks of camping in the field, I'm on a roll, LOL... no hardship in this primo campground, I'm glamping to the absolute limit, aye??? :eek:

Last edited:
FOUR FULL CORDS O' FIREWOOD, BOYZ!!! AND OVER SIX WEEKS GLAMPING IN THE FIELD, WOOHOO!!! :cool:

CHECK THE LATEST PICS AT THE OTHER SITE, IT'S NO HARDSHIP TO LIVE IN THE FOREST THE WAY THE KITTEHS & I ARE DOING IT, LOL. :rolleyes:

BREEZY THIS MORNING, WOULD'VE MADE FOR GREAT SAILING WEATHER, PROVIDED YOU HAD WETSUIT, HOOD, BOOTIES, ETC. ;)

GOTTA RUN, I'M DOING LAUNDRY BEFORE THE PILE RIVALS K2, BAD TIMING ON SATURDAY, NOTHING A SHOT OR TWO O' RUM WON'T FIX, LOL. :eek:

Starting my campfires with GASOLINE now, makes things easy... have a roaring fire in 3-5 minutes, TOPS, LOL. Norcalsail, check the pics I just posted, they are literally the bomb, 10-4??? Molotov Campfires, WOOHOO!!! I'll never go camping again without GASOLINE, should've done this from the beginning, LOL. CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. Gotta run back to the campground, the eagles have returned and I'm concerned about Crackhead getting picked off, the poor little guy... couple more days and the kittehs will be in a short-term rental, safe indoors at night and safer in the daytime than living in the forest. I'll never forget the wonderful glamping adventure we've had, pushing SEVEN WEEKS IN THE FIELD, LOL. Damn. :eek:

Quick update: the kittehs & I are in the short-term rental, our glamping adventure lasted 47 days/46 nights, a personal record for me (and the kittehs, LOL). We'll likely remain in the rental over the winter as I carry on this crazy dream project of building a bad@$$ home/slash/mini pool hall in the woods, not far from the coast. Still wading through gubmint regs & building codes on that front, but I'm committed to the insulated steel building, no way I eat the non-refundable $4K "engineering fee" that I already paid. So it's "Onward, Christian Soldiers!!!" Well, maybe I'd qualify as a Pagan Soldier, LOL. WTF, make it a Viking Soldier, I know there's some Norse blood in the woodpile somewhere... thing is, Vikings didn't have high-powered rifles and large sidearms, LOL. Not even Bear Spray, though they DID have psilocybin and Berserker mushroom cults, LOL. Enough history for now, time to focus upon the future, this crazy project is a daunting task but it's also very exciting, since I get to call the shots and make all the decisions. Another reason to research all the codes & regs for this sorta project, I'm currently looking for land outside town limits so I can cut down some of those codes & regs, LOL. When this crazy dream is all finished, I'll be LIVIN' IN PARADISE, WOOHOO!!! With Westport right up the road, awesome boating & fishing there... one fine day, I'll round that huge jetty and patrol the beach, same way I did a thousand times in Coronado. Gonna pull the standard bikini inspection while guzzling beer & sailing just outside the impact zone... it's a thankless job, but SOMEBODY has to do it, LOL. :confused:

MAHALO, YOUSE NAUTICAL HEE-ROES!!! CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Tablet went kaput awhile ago, just bought a new computer and I now have a different e-mail address, site handle, etc. Johnny Cash's Ghost Rider will officially be laid to rest, while Coastal Redneck will take the helm and steer the boat to uncharted waters, LOL. Gotta run, I'm hooking up the Internet at the rental flat and I have to run to Aberdeen to bag the modem from Comcast, it'll be faster than shipping it... gotta pick up a Roku stick or some similar antenna at WallyWorld, I wanna watch football this weekend if possible, haven't seen a game in nearly two months and I'm suffering from GWS (Gridiron Withdrawal Syndrome). It's a bad case too, might hafta sit on the leather motorized reclining sofa all weekend and watch game after game, maybe toss in Monday Night just to be on the safe side. No worries, my sofa has built-in cup holders!!! WOOHOO!!! CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Well, Boyz, I may bite the bullet and pick up a Flying Scot, even though she's a bit heavier on her trailer than I'd like for towing purposes with the Mighty Camry... but I foresee a good secondhand truck in the not-too-distant future, at which time the towing issue would become a moot point. My primary concern with the Camry is pulling the boat outta the water and up a wet slippery ramp. Meh, all I really need to do tomorrow is bring the boat down and start working on her whenever I get the chance, even though I'll also be busy pouring a slab and erecting my steel building, aye? As with the building project, I'm looking down the line to when the building and boat are finished, at that time I'll be ready for some serious sailing outta Westport, as well as some fishing on the Willapa River & Willapa Bay (leaving the rig at home and slapping a motor on the existing motor mount). :)

I was reading up on the Flying Scot, and new racing boats from the factory cost around $25K, daysailing or cruising models close to that amount. This boat comes with an EZ Loader trailer which I can easily clean up and paint, while the boat will require more intensive restoration, though the sails & lines are supposedly in great shape. Looks to have Harken blocks too, always a plus. The hull supposedly has a "slow Leak" (according to the owner), but that's something I can easily fix. Once that's done, several coats of 2-part LP primer & paint will work magic on the boat's appearance. Only question now is which colors to choose, and which name for the currently-unnamed boat... maybe "VOODOO CHILD" to complete an unfinished dream with regard to another hull. I'll hafta choose a bad@$$ color combo for the hull & deck, something which will look heller cool off the beach in Westport, and also turn heads along the riverfront on the Willapa, LOL. :eek:

WELL, THAT'S IT FOR NOW, I'LL POST PICS IF I BUY THE FLYING SCOT, SO I HAVE MATERIAL FOR "BEFORE & AFTER" SHOTS, LOL... CHEERS!!! ;)

P.S. Gloss black spars for sure, maybe an added custom logo on the FS mainsail, LOL. :rolleyes:

"Son!!!" (a la Jerry Reed), you forget that I'm growing older... but Flying Sidewalk is a good moniker, LOL. Make that a Flying Manhattan Sidewalk, 10-4??? :eek:

When I'm drunk, I can pull circus acts on deck, riding around on a unicycle and juggling lit torches & operational chainsaws while the boat is thrashing to windward or screaming on a broad reach, LOL. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ya know, I'm also meeting some really cool folks here in Coastal Washington, and I foresee help with launching the boat and sailing or fishing (i.e. drinking beer). I can probably step the mast and rig the boat on my own, being careful with my bum shoulder, but I'm thinking I'll have enough willing help, particularly if I buy all the beer, LOL. WTF, I'll bring lunch too, y'all don't know I'm an excellent cook, sandwich maker, etc. With some REAL LUCK, I'll have the hot librarian gal to help me, she can wear one of those French Maid outfits, maybe just a G-string, LOL... and YES, I'm a male chauvinist pig, might as well get that outta the way here & now, AYE??? Meh, I'll go easy on her with my Bligh impersonation: only 10 lashes instead of 100, with my scorching-hot librarian bent over a cannon or lashed to a grating, LOL. No worries, I'll make it up to her later... ;)

Well, I drove to Olympia and looked at the Flying Scot, she wasn't a bad deal but I was concerned about the ability of the Camry to haul her on that trailer, particularly while pulling some of the steeper grades in this area... so I passed on her, and I'll keep looking for a closer match to what I'm seeking, maybe a C-15 or something slightly smaller, but with plenty of freeboard for these waters in the PNW. The Flying Scot is a beast, big boat for a trailer behind the Camry, no need to blow a head gasket while struggling up some grade here in Western WA, 10-4? She'd be fun to sail on a recreational basis, but I need something more suitable for solo sailing, and easier to rig solo as well. :rolleyes:

So I'm back on the hunt... I'll surf C/L ads in a bit as I watch college football, at least the trip wasn't entirely wasted, I had to go to Aberdeen anyway to return an ineffective space heater at WallyWorld, and the run from there to Olympia was quite scenic on this sunny day. Nice weather, so cruising the scenic highway and listening to tunes wasn't a great imposition, LOL. I don't really plan on getting rid of this Camry till she dies under my hand... she has 207K miles on her right now, and with luck I'll get at least another 50K miles outta her before she dies on me, most likely with a blown head gasket. Sure, I could fix her, but at that point it'll be time to buy a good secondhand truck. :cool:

GUESS I'LL CHECK THOSE C/L ADS WHILE WATCHING OT IN THE OSU-MARYLAND GAME... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back