Laser Island Voyages Back In The Day

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #61
Whoowheeee!!! Rain's a-comin' down now, a few more good steady soakers like this and the back of the miserable drought will be broken... the forest & all its critters need this rain badly, while the air is wonderfully cool & fresh with all the windows wide open. Crackhead is hiding under the bed, that last round of thunder put the scare in him, LOL. Even Sage took off, he's probably hiding under the pool table... maybe in the closet in the Pool Room, I always leave closet doors cracked so the cats can get in there, like a series of cat caves throughout the house. Meh, it's just the three of us here, nobody to nag about the doors being cracked open... besides, I like the cats to patrol the house, we don't have any rodents here but the cats like to roam around and check all the nooks & crannies. I figure WTF, let 'em cruise around and inspect our home, that's their job and it keeps the blasted varmints off the premises, LOL. :confused:

Edit: We DO have rabbits & squirrels in the forest, including the grounds and the trees in the yard, but they do their own thing... one squirrel is hilarious, he'll give the cats grief after they chase him up one of the 21 tall Ponderosa Pines on my property. The cats can only go so far up these tall pines, you understand... goldurned squirrel will sit on a branch 25 or 30 feet up and shout abuse at the kittehs, like a drunken soccer fan at a World Cup match. He's a funny little varmint, way too fast for the cats to catch him... climbs like Dan Osman or Dean Potter back in the day, might as well be going freeway speed up these tall pines. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #62
After my ritual real estate listings check, which I perform daily in certain areas of the country while my own home is on the market here in AZ, I decided to scan the boat listings on C/L in those same areas, aye? I haven't ruled out the blue commie state of WA as a prospective relocation site, and I'm not talking about that leftist cesspool known as Seattle (with its HUGE homeless/drug problem), there are still a few outlying counties where property prices & taxes are reasonable... the job situation is another story, LOL. If I were to move to the west coast of WA, I'd certainly buy another boat, so out of idle curiosity I looked on C/L to see what was available. First boat I noticed was a Sunfish, though I was kinda hoping for a Laser... problem was, the seller wanted $1200 for the Fish, while a dirty but otherwise decent-looking C-15 on a trailer was going for $700. Nothing wrong with a Coronado 15, they sail quite well for recreational purposes, but given their class specs & sail area, it's best to have a crew along, even if your crew is only one thin date, LOL. If you're just cruising solo and drinking beer, you can sail under the main alone, but with main & jib the boat can get unruly when the breeze picks up... better to have that additional live ballast on the weather rail. Meh, buying the C-15 would give me an excuse to round up some crew members, using obsolete (and non-PC) Royal Navy "Press Gang" tactics... pistol screwed into their faces like a mugging in Compton, North Philly or the Lower Bronx (South Bronx to locals), or a bludgeon to their skulls and a wake-up call at sea, LOL. :confused:

P.S. Fan that I am of Jack London, "THE SEA WOLF" had nothin' on me... I'll put those crew members to work, and once they've outlived their usefulness, their ObamaCare will be the gaping maw of an Orca or a Great White Shark, LOL. :eek:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #63
Some of these comments about Carl Eichenlaub were too good to pass up, so I'll share 'em with alla youse nautical hee-roes, LOL...

Comments from the day Carl passed away - Carl's Cadenza

Got some more lookie-loos comin' to tour the house, enjoy the hilarious anecdotes about Carl Eichenlaub, the guy was a genius and one hell of a craftsman, LOL. The metal detector stories are funny, think how long it would take him to get through TSA checkpoints & screenings today... :rolleyes:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #64
Well, Boyz, I have a feeling the house will soon sell, and after much deliberation I've decided to head back toward the ocean... been nearly two years since I've seen or set foot upon a real beach, and I'm looking forward to camping on the beach while I scout out properties, aye? Gonna park the kittehs in a boarding kennel (cats only, which is good, the kittehs don't like barking dawgs), throw my stuff in storage for a month, and check these places I've earmarked as prospective new homes. Surprisingly, there are still some good deals to be had in WA State, not anywhere near that liberal cesspool known as Seattle, but out on the west coast near Grays Harbor & Willapa Bay. No smog tests or annual/biennial safety inspections for vehicles in those coastal counties either, except for an initial safety inspection when registering an out-of-state vehicle... no worries, everything works on the Camry, LOL. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sailing on the ocean again, these mountain lakes are scenic but the wind shifts are crazy, it takes a good sailor to keep from swimming when the breeze picks up and the gusts come at ya from different directions, LOL. I'm talking about powerful gusts too, not some mere small craft warning material... I'm looking forward to steady sea breezes again, with minor rather than drastic wind shifts. I already know about the dreary weather in coastal WA, I was posted to Fort Lewis in my Aaaaaarrgghmy Daze (USA INF), and a hand can always head for elevation on Mt. Rainier or some other peak to get out from under that cloud layer. I can see myself camping in the Cascades too, nothing wrong with visiting that area, volcanoes be damned, LOL. Hey, if the mountain erupts while I'm camping, I'll save money on firewood, LOL... though I normally scrounge wood for camping trips. ;)

I thought about relocating in other areas of the country, but I've received several "cosmic signs" that my destiny lies in WA... and this is a blue commie state, go figure. But there are ways to deal with that problem and lessen the effects of bad gubmint, LOL. One way is to buy a modest home with a bit o' land around it, in a county where property taxes aren't so exorbitant... I'll be a cash buyer too, no financing for this kid, I like being debt-free, 10-4??? Another way is to stay under the radar where recreation is concerned, that's why I'm breaking down the pool table and taking it with me, LOL... no need to go to a bar to shoot stick, no barroom brawls or DUI action to rain on my parade, just a friend or two over to play pool and BBQ like grillmaster champions, aye??? Gotta have my BBQ, I'll build a big ol' deck if necessary just to park the thing, and that's no lie... :confused:

Get this, here's a weird cosmic sign: Friend Doug (most assuredly NOT a Quaker, he's the hand who cooks the moonshine) was over here last night to par-tay & shoot pool, and he's moving to WA as well, though he'll be in Port Angeles, which means a scenic drive before visiting for the weekend or whatever. This is the least significant cosmic sign I've received, but it's still a sign, yeah? I was joking with Doug last night that we'll be shooting pool on the same table up in WA, dude is a wizard with a pool cue, I beat him every so often but he usually kicks my @$$, LOL. He's a good sport though, one of the best, and he's handy with a chainsaw as well... I'm no slouch in that department, but Doug took down a dead tree on my property in record time, and he did it as a favor (I DID buy the beer & BBQ material, LOL). :D

Another cosmic sign is that the minimum wage is projected to increase to $13.50 per hour in WA by 1/1/20, or the end of next year... I only mention this because I've had the devil of a time finding steady year-round work here in Mormon Country, where Cousin Joe will ALWAYS get hired before an outsider, LOL. I have a perfectly valid CDL-A too, with a spotless MVR, but that makes no difference up here, and I also have that fake Kalifornia felony hanging around my neck like a millstone... nothing ever happened, no crime was committed, just lies on paper from the same badge-sportin' greaseballs behind the Zahau murder cover-up, you can Google "Zahau" if you're clueless and figure out that whole scene. I've seen recent ads for jobs paying considerably more than $13.50 per hour, but I like the idea of making at LEAST that much if I'm forced to flip burgers & sling fries for a living, LOL. ;)

Between the logging, the fishing, the mill work, the tugs that haul the lumber barges, etc., etc., I should be able to find a decent job, fake felony or no fake felony. So I'm looking forward to that whole scene, work is good for the soul, LOL. Especially when the work pays enough for a confirmed bachelor to live like a king... and the cats too, I reckon, they gotta be LIVIN' LARGE as far as kittehs go, aye??? WTF, they'll be eating fresh fish on a regular basis, LOL. It has been an interesting sojourn here in the White Mountains, but I'll leave with no regrets and take the good memories with me... I thought I'd stay here forever, or until death overtook me, but I've already accepted and embraced the reality that it's time to move on and try my luck elsewhere. I'll miss this house, first home I ever actually owned, though I DID help pay off the old beach cottage... but no worries, there are cool homes everywhere, a home is what ya make out of it, right? :cool:

AND THE POOL TABLE IS GOING WITH ME, I'LL PUT THAT BAD BOY IN THE LIVING ROOM OF MY NEXT HOME IF NECESSARY, LOL... BETTER SIGN OFF FOR NOW, MORE ON COSMIC BULL$H!T LATER, 10-4??? BRING ON THE BEACH & THE COASTAL SAILING GIG!!! PREP THE FISHING GEAR!!! BUST OUT THE FIELD GEAR FOR CAMPING ON THE BEACH, WOOHOO!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #65
I was just taking stock of the various redneck signs & ornaments on my property, reckon I'll be removing most of them and taking them with me when I relocate:

IMG_3159.JPG IMG_3161.JPG IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3163.JPG IMG_3165.JPG

Some of those ornaments are bigger than they look in the pics, that lizard is a good example... I was gonna put that bad boy under a different peak of the roof, since his outline is ruined by the attic vent, I only threw him up there temporarily to get him out of the way. Meh, he'll do better on the side of some coastal shotgun shack, LOL... along with the rawhide cattle skull, the KW mudflap ornament (used to be chrome, I got tired of polishing it), the classic prayer revolver sign, etc., etc. Those plastic cutlasses have been around forever, I bought those many years ago in some Halloween sale, and they've been crossed in one location or another ever since, LOL. The "B" is our family initial, that has been around for years as well, just like the KW ornament which used to be on our gate in Coronado. We were the ONLY locals in that seaside ghetto with a KW mudflap ornament on our gate, I assure you... solid redneck décor, all the way, LOL. :eek:

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #67
Bigger than it looks, pics don't do it justice... two minis back-to-back so there's a spine, all under cover on 2-1/2 acres.

IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3201.JPG IMG_3193.JPG

Nice morning here, gotta run an errand or two and get back on the task of loading moving boxes... :confused:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #68
Well, youse nautical knucklehaids, I inked the contract to sell my house yesterday, signed a few more documents today... now I'm pounding beers & considering a celebratory steak dinner in the near future, LOL. :rolleyes:

I also found an out-of-state property which would suit me perfectly, as well as the two dysfunctional kittehs who share my goddam life... gotta pick a new home which suits the kittehs, otherwise there'll be a friggin' prison riot. :eek:

YESIREE, SUCH IS LIFE WHEN YA CHOOSE TO LIVE WITH BLASTED VARMINTS... ;)

Just wanted y'all to know that everything is fine here in this beautiful neck o' the woods... :cool:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #69
Got a lot done today, boxing up stuff for the upcoming move... guess I'll go check the boat ads on C/L, see if I can't find some Craigslist Flake or tweekin' crackerhead to unload a Lido 14 for $250, stolen trailer with taped-up plates included, LOL. :eek:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #70
Holy Mackerel!!! That was a flurry of loading activity, I gotta take a break for awhile... I'm almost done loading household goods, I still have to go through the kitchen and box up everything I won't need till I'm established in my next home. I'll leave out some things I need for the duration while I'm still here in AZ, and things I intend to stash in the trunk of the Camry for camping purposes. Everything else gets boxed up and securely taped for the trip aboard the rental truck. I want the loading of the truck to go smoothly, so I'm staging stacks of boxes in various rooms... when the time comes to load, I'll use my dolly and wheel that stuff right into the truck, should go like Swiss clockwork now that everything is (almost) ready. :rolleyes:

I'll soon have to spend a day breaking down my 8' pool table and prepping the components for transport. Gotta remove the cue racks from the wall of the Pool Room, plus that 55" flatscreen and wall mount, all that cr@p is going with me. I'm gonna take a sequence of detailed pics when I disassemble the table, that way I can reassemble most of it on the other end... Friend Doug can help me level the slate and re-felt it, he's already up there in WA. Worst-case scenario, I pay some pro to level the slate and re-felt the table, but Friend Doug & I are both pretty handy, maybe we can figure it out ourselves. I'm looking forward to shooting stick on that table in WA, whether the table is in my living room or winds up as the centerpiece of a shop man-cave, LOL. ;)

Damn, I had a couple o' beers while loading stuff into boxes, then ate a good lunch before grabbing a shower... now I'm kinda sleepy, LOL, think I'll take a big ol' siesta while lying under the large fan. This relocation business really takes it out of ya, I hadn't planned on relocating again when I moved here, as the White Mountains are a veritable paradise on earth, but I gotta find steady year-round work... if I were retired, I wouldn't be going anywhere, LOL. Meh, I've enjoyed my time here in all other respects, despite inflicting two or three severe injuries upon myself while "reliving my youth"---dirt biking and skateboarding, can't ride like a demon anymore, eat $h!t, and expect to get up and walk away like I'm still 20, aye? Next time I ride in the dirt, it'll be on a quad, and I reckon I'm about done with skating, LOL. :eek:

DAMN SHOULDER STILL HURTS AFTER THAT LAST SLAM, AND IT HAS BEEN 10 DAYS, GO FIGURE... THIS GROWING OLD IS FOR THE BIRDS, I'M GONNA BUY A BOAT WHEN I GET TO THE BEACH AND STICK TO SAILING FOR AWHILE. :confused:

Which reminds me, I saw a Sailfish in Puyallup for $650 (Seattle C/L), and a rather uncommon J/36 in one ad, in case anyone's interested... can't remember if the J/36 was in the Seattle or Olympic Peninsula C/L ads. Might hafta go back a few days to find it, I plan on buying a small sailboat like a Lido 14 or something similar on a trailer, something with cockpit benches to make life a little easier, LOL. :cool:

I'M OFF TO TAKE A NAP, THE SANDMAN IS STANDIN' ON MY EYELIDS... CHEERS!!! :D

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #71
Ya know, some folks here at this site never got a good line on this wingsuit video, one of the best in my opinion... Jeb Corliss is dead, but this radical video lives on to inspire other "3-D Sailors" (that's what I call 'em, LOL). Soundtrack dubbing is weak in parts, but the video stands tall on its own; one day, if I ever hit the big-time, I'm gonna sail down there, charter a chopper and do this wingsuit flight... it looks like heller fun & adventure. Here we go:

ENJOY!!! CHEERS!!! :eek:

P.S. Do NOT try this aboard your Sunfish or Laser, though if ya DO and actually pull it off, you'll be a REGULAR NAUTICAL HEE-RO, LOL!!! :rolleyes:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #72
I was just watching another wingsuit video... I've been fascinated by wingsuit flight ever since the first proponents took to the air, it must be such a rush to fly that way. One day, when my life isn't so hectic, I'd like to go up and make the leap out of a plane or chopper, wingsuit on and Hero Cam rolling, LOL. In the meantime, I get vicarious thrills by watching these extreme athletes push the envelope... close-proximity wingsuit flight is freakin' dangerous too, not necessarily for experienced pilots but for newbies, I recently read some blurb about wingsuit flight now being the most dangerous sport on the planet. At the same time, I see this sport as an integral part of man's future: if mankind survives itself and begins to colonize other planets, these extreme athletes are EXACTLY the kind of troopers we want on the recon teams. Technical rock climbers, wingsuit pilots, scuba divers, et al are ideal recon team material, able to explore new planets and their satellites using top gear and radical techniques. Sure, there's an attrition rate now, since wingsuit flight is a relatively new sport, but in time pilots like these will soar over alien terrain on distant worlds, filming everything in sight and pushing exploration to a new level. Anyway, here's another video, the mountain scenery in this one doesn't exactly suck... when I was young and my family lived in Europe for five years, we traveled extensively through the Alps and saw many of the places seen in this and other related videos. Hell, the engineering feats in constructing the tramway & building those tourist traps on Aiguille du Midi were difficult enough, but flying through that rather small gap is another thing entirely, LOL. :eek:

ENJOY!!! CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. These "Perfect Flight" videos are pretty good, there's a series dating back a number of years... meh, better late than never when it comes to viewing, LOL. ;)

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #73
Perseid Meteor Shower tonight & tomorrow night, peaks late Sunday & early Monday, should be good this year with no moon in the sky. This shower has always been my favorite, due to luck and good timing while observing it from the summit of Isla Norte roughly a quarter-century ago. If you're in a location with minimal light pollution, you should see plenty of action this weekend. Cheers!!! :rolleyes:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #74
Got a lot done today, soon the only task left will be to break down the 8' pool table for transport, no way that table gets left behind when I own $4000 worth of pool equipment. Looking forward to living near the ocean again, think I'll go peruse the boat ads on C/L to see what I can find... a nice fast sailboat on a trailer for about a grand would work, LOL. :cool:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #75
Funny whatcha can find on C/L, check out this random assortment of links, starting with this sweet Thistle:

Thistle Sail Boat #2344

Another bad girl:

Kettenburg PC 32

Here's that wooden schooner I saw earlier, nice woodwork in a smaller schooner, but you'd still be a slave to varnish, LOL:

Malabar II Schooner Sailboat For Sale - Legacy

A cool Viper 640, always wanted to try one of these:

viper 640

Here's the overpriced Lido 14 I like, maybe the price will drop by the time I get up to the PNW and get situated, aye?

Lido 14' Salboat with Trailer

Soling, anyone??? Bad girl at a relatively cheap price:

Olympic Class Soling

And for a cool liveaboard experience, the classic Army Tug---guess the Army got tired of asking the Navy for tugs, LOL:

Tug - Fellows&Stewart U.S. Army ST-2133

There were other classic boats for sale, but these will do for now... I'm off to mack a ginormous hot & spicy homemade chicken & shrimp burrito with all the trimmings, last one of the batch, WOOHOO!!! CHEERS!!! :cool:

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Thread starter #76
Heard this old tune while cruising in my rig today... somehow it reminded me of the good ol' days of Laser sailing, patrolling the beach in Coronado at the height of summer, surfing the Point in the Laser when conditions were just right, and heading out to the islands off Baja for another camping expedition & wilderness experience. :cool:

Always liked this tune by Tom T. Hall, it's a good one... the new stuff doesn't cut it, gotta go with the tried & true classics, LOL. :rolleyes: