Laser Island Voyages Back In The Day

Since I'll be starting a new job, I decided to upgrade my transpo... I picked up this later-model rig to replace The Mighty '02 Camry, and I only paid $1500 on top of the trade-in, WAHOO!!! Whaddy'all think, did I SCORE, or WHAT??? :eek:

IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG

Pretty goldurned STYLIN' if ya ask me, should be a big hit with the local ladies... some of these redneck country gals are surprisingly sophisticated, ya can't just pick 'em up in ANY old rig, you savvy??? My new ride should make an elegant & impressive statement when I pull into the trailer park to pick up my latest date!!! :rolleyes:

Hey, here's some ol' hippie's tie-dyed Bug, it even says so on the plate, LOL:

IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG

Pretty trick paint job, but the headlight lashes gotta go... not manly enough, LOL. [Loud denial buzzer sounds here.] I saw this Bug down in Sierra Vista... or UP in Sierra Vista, since the town lies at a higher elevation, even if it is to the south of Benson. :confused:

I went to S.V. (or Sierra Vista) to pick up some wildlife guides and USFS maps, including a topo map of the Stronghold... threw down about $100, but I now have the kind of field guides I like, the laminated menu-style guides which easily unfold and show all the critters in full color. Much better than trying to leaf through a book and find the critter ya want, aye? Check 'em out, the Stronghold topo map is NOT pictured, too much trouble to bring it into the library, unfold & photograph it:

IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG

That snake guide was an unexpected bonus, I've been trying to identify the "medicine snake" which crossed my driveway a few days ago... after getting a good close look at the snake in front of my home, I went inside and started calling around to find some field guides for wildlife, and as I was casually looking through the listings for Benson in a thin Cochise County phone book which arrived in the mail about a week ago, I stumbled across the fateful listing for the trucking outfit, LOL. One thing led to another, I drove to the trucking yard and spoke to the folks in charge, and now I'm gonna start driving for the outfit on "gravy train" runs, making good money while cruising a big ol' land yacht down some of these scenic desert highways... had I NOT seen the snake crossing my driveway, I NEVER would've stumbled across the listing for this trucking outfit, 10-4??? MEDICINE SNAKE!!! :cool:

The family that owns this trucking outfit is LOADED with cash too, so I reckon my paychecks won't bounce, LOL... actually, I already filled out the form for direct deposit, life is easier that way. Say, when I drove to Sierra Vista this morning, I took the scenic route through Tombstone, as I do at every opportunity... I was also on a mission to locate the gunsmith I met in Big-Nose Kate's Saloon last time I was in town, that hand was hilarious. I found the inn he and his wife operate, and I left a note on the gunsmith's office or shop door to the side. Wonderful weather in this area today, as y'all can see from the photos in these posts. It's warm but still nice & dry, so the heat feels good... good enough for me to get out of the car now and then to photograph trippy stuff, LOL. Here's an old school "hearse" in Tombstone, complete with skeletons, "ARRRRRRRRR!!!" :eek:

IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1370.JPG

Three skeletons in all, one driving, one sitting up & one laid out in back, LOL. Typical Tombstone tourist cheese, but that burg still has plenty o' Western history, and I love drinking beer in those old saloons and historic buildings!!! The Crystal Palace still has 19 bullet holes in the original ceiling, dunno whether the holes were created as rowdy cowboys celebrated or some gunfights went awry, LOL. Must have been a roaring town in its heyday, and of course the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" is part of American lore... the real deal back in the day, nowadays the action is in the cities with ghetto hood rats blazing away during drive-by shootings, pffffft. No hood rats out here in rural and semi-rural Arizona, these hardcore rednecks would use the hood rats for target practice, and good riddance. Funny how that works, with practically no crime in my neighborhood... everyone is strapped, so the perps are nervous, LOL. :confused:

Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M OFF TO THE OL' HACIENDA TO DRINK A COLD BEER AND PULL SOME MORE HOME REHAB... SOON I'LL BE CRUISING IN A LAND YACHT AND I'LL SIMPLY FARM OUT THE REMAINING TASKS, LOL. :rolleyes:

WTF, I'VE BEEN SLAVING AWAY FOR 3 1/2 MONTHS, NOW MY HOME IS WORTH DOUBLE WHAT I PAID FOR IT... CHEERS!!! ;)

P.S. According to my newly-acquired field guide, the "medicine snake" was a Coachwhip, classic Western name for a good-looking reptile, y'all should've seen him hanging from the lower branches of a mesquite bush out front, enjoying the shade and the cool breeze with most of his length off the hot ground, his head resting on a fork in the branches... dude looked straight back at me when I approached to inspect him, LOL. I already knew he was NOT a rattler, seen plenty of those during my hiking & climbing days, 10??? I went back inside to grab the camera, but by the time I returned to the mesquite bush, the snake was gone... he's a fast mover, LOL. Personally, I don't mind non-venemous snakes around my home, they keep the rodents down, same way lizards keep the bugs down... problem is, all three kittehs like hunting lizards, so the dead reptiles wind up decorating my home or property. :D

Last edited:
"O, what a beautiful morning... O, what a beautiful day!!!" :rolleyes:

LOL, no, I am NOT high on crack, just loving life in this Redneck Paradise!!! The mornings here are so cool and pleasant due to the elevation, while the views are absolutely amazing!!! I even climbed onto my roof to snap a few pics this morning, the weather was so fine:

IMG_1401.JPG IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1406.JPG IMG_1407.JPG

Man, the quality & purity of the light & sunshine here are EXCELLENT, probably why astronomers built an observatory on Mt. Graham, which isn't too far from my home. That peak rises above 10,000' in elevation, so the night skies are tremendously clear... hell, they're clear as a bell where I live, and my home *only* lies at 3624' (according to my friend's smart phone). Guess I'll hafta break down and buy a smart phone for this new job, as an old rogue dinosaur I've been putting off the event, simply using my El Cheapo Verizon Star Trek flip-phone, LOL. Meh, the good news is that another friend told me I can use that new smart phone in conjunction with my two Samsung 6 Series big screen TVs... learn something new every day, LOL. Guess I gotta drag my tired @$$ outta the Stone Age at some point, but I sometimes wish I could go back to using smoke signals for communication. Ah, the good old days!!! :confused:

Hey, one of those pesky honeybees actually STUNG ME this morning as I watered the fruit trees I planted, I always top off or replace the water in the birdbath when I do this, aye? So the little b@stard got me under the arm, just below the bicep in a sensitive area... hurt for a minute or two, then it began to itch like the devil so I scratched it, now the underside of my arm is bright red, LOL. Not quite tomato red, but pretty goldurned red... I don't have any allergy to bee stings, or anything else as far as I know, but this sting sure brought out the color, kinda like an Arizona sunset, LOL. Here are two shots of the pesky bees, next time I get stung I'm gonna bust out the hydrojet, make like "THE TERMINATOR" and BLAST the bees off my birdbath, don'tcha know? Might hafta add insult to injury: "GET A JOB, YOUSE BUMS!!! AND TURN IN THOSE OBAMA PHONES FOR ALARM CLOCKS!!!" ;)

IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1409.JPG

Yeah, that'll go over well with the colony... they'll probably start vandalizing my property, slashing my tires, etc. I bet the culprit who stung me is in these pics, probably that bee riding the wooden cheese knife... "DAMNED SURFERS!!!" Some of those pesky surfers are extremely territorial, maybe the bee who stung me thought I was gonna drop in on him in the birdbath... "MY WAVE!!!" LOL. I can hear the 350-lb. Hawaiian honeybee now: "YA LIKUM BEEF, YA STUPID HAOLE?!?" [Cue the Batman comic effects...] BAM!!! POW!!! SOCK'EM UP!!! Maybe throw in some Gleason: "STRAIGHT TO THE MOON!!!" Was that Jackie Gleason? I can't remember, I suffer from advanced CRS in my dotage, LOL. Y'all must think I'm high on crack right now, but that's okay, I forgive ya... I must admit, I WILL be celebrating with some cold beer later, AFTER I run all the errands I have on my slate for the day. Hey, pretty soon I'll be thundering down some scenic desert highways in a big ol' land yacht, cruising at 75+ m.p.h., LOL. :cool:

Here are two final pics for the day, shots of Crackhead doing his usual Crackerhead thing, LOL:

IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1410.JPG

He's a goofy cat, but he certainly has personality, the same could probably be said for his master... er... make that butler, LOL. Meh, it's all good, life is looking up, we'll be BBQing filet mignons instead of yardbird here pronto, 10-4??? Crackhead will undoubtedly steal some of my beer outta the fridge as I look the other way, but WTF, a cat has to have fun too, aye??? Okay, I'm off to WallyWorld to buy the things I need for this weekend, and YES, that includes more BEER, LOL. In case y'all haven't figured it out yet, beer is an ENDANGERED SPECIES on my property, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If only the wildlife authorities knew, they'd probably crack hard on me, and I'd wind up breaking rocks in the hot sun for the next 20 years... no fun there, that's for sure. Hey, I may buy a Yamaha YZ450F for riding to the Stronghold, I saw one in good shape and the sale price is within my range!!! Of course, I'd ride it in other venues as well, but my priority mission is to ride a bike out to the Stronghold so I can access the crags from the west side of the Dragoon Mountains. :)

HELLER OFFROADING & WORLD-CLASS TECHNICAL ROCK CLIMBING OUT THERE... THE STRONGHOLD ROCKS!!! [No pun intended, LOL.] CHEERS!!! :D

P.S. I've decided that whenever I have long weekends or a little vacay time with this trucking outfit, I'm gonna rip out to Dago and cram as much sailing in as possible, LOL... stay on the cheap with family or friends, and rent boats as needed, maybe buy another boat and leave it over there somewhere on the property of a friend or family member, that way I could spend several days on the water, LOL. Bust out the wide-brimmed sombrero & SPF 50!!! :cool:

Last edited:
KITTEHS!!!

IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1443.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1447.JPG

When I feed the cats in the morning, each cat gets his or her own plate, but every so often I'll throw down an an extra plate in the afternoon or early evening... guess all three kittehs were hungry this time around. Somehow, that kitchen floor reminds me of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, LOL. Ain't Phoenix a cutie lying atop that dresser? Ya can't tell from these shots, but she has white booties & gloves along with those other markings... Tiger & Crackhead are goofing off by the shed in those last two pics. :rolleyes:

WELL, TIME TO CHECK OUT SMART PHONES AT WALLYWORLD, I MAY NEED ONE FOR THIS NEW JOB... GOTTA FIND SOMETHING COMPATIBLE WITH MY SAMSUNG 6 SERIES TVs, AYE??? CHEERS!!! :cool:

The other "space cadet" poster in my room, I think it came out of a National Geographic magazine---dare I say it?---many MOONS ago, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, I must be jonesing for entertainment to crack a bad joke or pun like that... anyway, here's the poster:

IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1461.JPG IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG

Pretty cool poster, no true sailor's home is complete without one, LOL... I put this bad boy up on a wall in my master bedroom, so even when I'm lying on my rack I can see the moon, aye? :rolleyes:

The poster shows phases of the moon, size comparisons to other satellites in the solar system, paths of revolution, a blurb on the tides, all that good stuff... it's a very comprehensive map, don'tcha know??? :eek:

For some reason, as I peacefully lay resting on my rack this morning, this poster got me thinking of tides & currents... all experienced sailors should be familiar with the moon's effects upon the earth. :D

I used to love sailing Laser #2069 during new & full phases of the moon, when I could work the spring tides for maximum benefit on each voyage, riding the ebb out of San Diego Bay, patrolling the beach in Coronado or sailing farther offshore, then riding the flood back up the channel once the tide had turned. An excellent program, this working of the tides... how ancient mariners & fishermen used to do it whenever they could. :)

Of course, the configuration of San Diego Bay made this even more advantageous, the effect of tides on a more open bay would NOT be so great. But in Dago, the best voyages---where a skipper could cover maximum ground in the shortest possible time---were made when a high spring tide occurred around 0800, by the time the breeze picked up at 1000 hours the current was moving swiftly in the main channel, and a skipper could literally ride that current (and ebb tide) right out of the bay. On such days, I would routinely log 25 or 30 nautical miles, especially with a good breeze in the forecast. :cool:

Just patrolling the beach in Coronado would rack up 5 or 6 miles with multiple passes, a full reach or run down the Silver Strand to Venereal Beach---Imperial Beach, CA, they cleaned it up a bit since the old days, LOL---would add another 6 or 7 miles, and I would always stand offshore for a number of miles before heading toward Point Loma and the main channel. Voyages to Los Coronados and back would push the total closer to 45 nautical miles, but I usually broke those voyages in two by spending the night out there in paradise... however, I still worked the tides at the Dago end, LOL. :rolleyes:

Funny thing about a strong current in the main channel: every once in awhile, you'd see a channel buoy which appeared to be "steaming" under its own power, its "wake" actually showing the direction of the current. If the buoy was leaning against its anchor chain and cable, it heightened the effect of this illusion, as if the buoy were "bending on the knots" while holding an opposite course. One of them thar "HIGH-SPEED CHANNEL BUOYS!!!" Don't see them too often, LOL... ;)

If the buoy was level, it'd usually be covered with sleeping sea lions, those critters love to haul themselves out and take a well-deserved nap in the sun. I was sailing with a date one time and she asked me to cruise right by one buoy with several sea lions sleeping on it... as we sailed past, she reached out and patted the closest critter, saying "Nice doggie!!!" The startled sea lion awoke with a roar, rearing up to his full height... I thought the 500-lb. critter was gonna leap off the buoy and capsize our boat, but we slid out of danger and the sea lion settled back down to rest. A close call, as I never expected the gal to do that, but no harm, no foul, LOL. :confused:

Thus endeth my tedious sermonizing for the day, you small craft sailors on the coast (of whichever country) should all familiarize yourselves with the tides, phases of the moon, etc., and use them to your maximum advantage whenever possible. Sure, you can sail over an unfavorable tide, but that adds time to your voyage, whereas "working the tides" lets you quickly cover much ground and distance. Those sailors who live near river mouths and deltas, you can use a flood tide to assist you if you venture upriver any distance, the flood tide will help lessen the effect of the usual river current. And THAT is my spiel for the day, y'all be good and stay outta trouble, LOL. ;)

Hey, "T-Bone!!!" If ya read this, know that I was thinking of ya when I wrote it, aye??? That's my best friend Tommy whose family ran the surf shop in Coronado for so many years, he's a bad@$$ paddleboarder who has made many voyages in his own right, even competing in one of those "inter-island paddleboard races" over in Hawaii. I think it was a 32-mile run between Maui & Molokai, maybe the other way round, I've never been to those islands, LOL. Open ocean paddling, though, plenty dangerous... I think he said it was a downwind run too, which always helps, beats a hard slog to windward through rough chop with spray continually dousing ya and hungry 2-ton Great Whites circling your board, LOL. :eek:

WELL, I'M OFF TO TOWN TO RESUPPLY, FORGOT TO PICK UP A SWEET ONION FOR THE BAKED CHICKEN & RICE I'M MAKING TONIGHT, AND I CAN ALWAYS USE MORE BEER, LOL... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The crew at ease... those knuckleheaded youngsters like to chew on the moccasins & socks in my room, the blasted varmints!!! They also like chewing on my Vans Hi-Tops (not shown), for some reason they like the laces on those skate shoes, LOL. :confused:

IMG_1674.JPG IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1676.JPG

Sunday will be my 57th birthday, so I bought an early present for myself, this combo photo & artwork of a sloop making a "NIGHT RUN" (the name of the signed work), a thrift shop bargain at $12.50, and worth every penny as yet another reminder of all the good times I had sailing in the past. It looks good on that one wall, the framed picture is large so it fills a gap in the decor, LOL. :rolleyes:

IMG_1677.JPG

Here we have the two youngsters again, Phoenix sure is a little cutie standing on a chair to eat alongside Tiger, LOL. She's a pretty cat with those white booties & gloves, plus those other white markings... Tiger is better camouflaged for coyote country, 10-4? :eek:

IMG_1678.JPG IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1680.JPG

Last but not least, we have a shot of all three kittehs, plus two final shots of Crackhead scratching the comfy thrift shop chair I bought in Show Low for a whopping $15, we sure have gotten some mileage out of that chair, LOL. I don't mind the cats scratching furniture in my home, EXCEPT for the leather motorized reclining sofa, which they tear up anyway... I call it "the $1100 SCRATCHING POST!!!" ;)

IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1683.JPG

I'm thinking that blasted varmint would make a good bowman aboard a maxi sled or racing boat, just stick him in a harness and watch him go, yeah? Problem aloft with rig or sail??? CRACKHEAD TO THE RESCUE!!! DON'T MIND THE CLAW MARKS, TEARS & SCRATCHES ON THOSE HIGH-DOLLAR SAILS OR THAT CARBON FIBER MAST!!! CRACKHEAD WILL GET THE JOB DONE, NO WORRIES!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Drove up Mt. Lemmon yesterday with my friend Matt, this peak is above Tucson and it rises above 9000' in elevation, so it qualifies as a "sky island" here in southern Arizona... nice and cool up on the mountain, with forested areas and primo crags for climbing, but the peak is too close to the city and it's the nearest place where Tucson residents can escape the heat, so we saw plenty of tourists and half a dozen badges getting an early start on the holiday weekend. I enjoyed the recon, but I have better areas closer to my home in Benson, primo wilderness areas with no tourists or badges in sight... much more my style, since there's so much more personal freedom in the wilderness. Anyway, here are some pics taken during our recon:

IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG

Temp in the mid-70s up on the mountain, over 100 degrees down in Tucson, LOL. We cut the A/C in the Mighty Camry and rolled our windows down so we could smell the pines... the aromatic resin was an added bonus, aye? :rolleyes:

Some more pics:

IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1809.JPG IMG_1818.JPG IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Nice correlation between elevation and latitude on that signboard... that sixth shot shows ski lift equipment scorched in earlier wildfires, hard to envision skiing here on a summer day, LOL. Once we drove down the mountain, we went to a VW shop where Matt had previously purchased a rail for offroading in Colorado, the sand paddles were shot so the shop owner threw in those cheesy stock rims & used tires for the tow job. Matt is a heller mechanic, so he'll fix that rail and make it sweet, should be fun for bombing around, yeah? :eek:

Last but not least, this classic VW Bug was in the lot:

IMG_1808.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1806.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1824.JPG IMG_1825.JPG

Sweet Bug, I'd love to have it... but I'd probably buy the bus instead and add a full roof rack for camping, LOL. Nice Deadhead sticker on the VW... that ol' Chevy was cool too, but not my choice of color, that pumpkin orange (loud denial buzzer sounds here). Forgot to rotate that eighth shot of my "Historical Map of England & Wales" prior to posting, but you heroes will figure it out... the map was made in Edinburgh, Scotland, back in the day, it's on some sort of cloth paper or paper cloth, pretty cool with the coat of arms for each city shown around the edges. :cool:

GOTTA RUN, I'M DRIVING TO SIERRA VISTA TODAY TO BAG SOME MATERIALS FOR HOME REHAB WORK THIS HOLIDAY WEEKEND... WHEN I'M NOT DRINKING BEER AND FIRING UP MY BBQ, I'LL BE KNOCKING OUT SOME TASKS ON MY PROPERTY, LOL. :rolleyes:

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TO ALL AMERIKANERS!!! LOL... CHEERS!!! ;)

Last edited:
Literally had a blast while watching the fireworks show last night, LOL... so far, my holiday weekend is off to a good start. Got some pics for youse nautical heroes, but first... KITTEHS!!! :rolleyes:

IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1854.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1858.JPG

There's a large walk-in closet in my master bedroom, but I never use it for anything except storage, so I put some old bath rugs and blankets in there for the kittehs... they like sleeping in there, it's like a ginormous cat cave, LOL. Same goes for the cabinets over the fridge, I never use them because they're too impractical to reach, so I let the cats kick back in there... that's Crackhead sounding off, and Tiger stopping by to visit, LOL. :cool:

Round #2 of pics:

IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1879.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG

With temps in the 100s lately, that snowman had better find work soon, LOL. He belonged to me dear departed mum, so I found a place for him in the kitchen. Hey, ya like my Queen Mary playing cards? Those are stylin'... almost as stylin' as the deck of ship cards made in Germany. My pop the submarine commander bought those cards for us when my family lived in Europe so many decades ago, the cards are pretty cool even though they're dated. I can hear my deceased dad now:

"SON, THIS SHIP WOULD MAKE A FINE TARGET!!!" :confused:

That German tall ship is classic, somehow the name makes me think somebody stubbed his toe, LOL. ;)

Round #3 of pics:

IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1885.JPG IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1900.JPG IMG_1901.JPG

Goldurnit, I rotated those last six cards in my camera before transferring them to my computer, now they're on their sides again... torpedoed by my dad, no doubt. Hey, there's the Queen Mary again, before she wound up in Wrong Beach, Kalifornia. Guess no deck of ship cards would be complete without the obligatory chumpish Russian vessel named "LENIN"---pfffffft, looks like the typical ugly Russian rustbucket, LOL. :eek:

Round #4 of pics:

IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2113.JPG IMG_2114.JPG IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2122.JPG IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

That knucklehaid Tiger sure likes to sprawl across the kitchen floor... last seven shots are of the fireworks show, the show was excellent but I had a hard time catching the bursts on camera, there's a lag between pressing the camera button and having the shutter open... and I watched the show from my front yard, so I wasn't as close as I could've been, aye? Still, it was a good show which went on for some time, not a bad display for a relatively small town. I was also trying to catch the crescent moon in these pics, but my Canon cam wasn't up to the job, LOL... hey, that one pic looks like an atomic bomb blast, complete with mushroom cloud!!! I can see today's headline in the local rag:

"BENSON DESTROYED BY ATOMIC BLAST!!!" :confused:

Hate it when that happens, LOL. Gotta run, I'm fixing the door on the shed and I need a new handle, it's one of those cheesy RV doors so a regular screen door handle will work. That means a run to Home Depot in Sierra Vista, perhaps by way of Tombstone, 10-4? I'm thinking a cold beer in Big-Nose Kate's Saloon might taste pretty darned good, even though my fridge at home is chockablock with beer, LOL. :rolleyes:

Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD... CHEERS!!! :cool:

My holiday weekend went well, I managed to fix my shed door and I added a bulletproof new hasp for security, plus I rerouted that water line I've been meaning to do for some time. The rerouting task was easy enough, just had to wait for the right conditions under the carport. Had a pleasantly cool morning yesterday, so I knocked out the rerouting... PVC work is quite simple, really, somehow it reminds me of making models as a youth back in the '60s & '70s, LOL. I only have two tasks left on my home rehab list: replacing all window screens and repairing the skirting down the west side of the double-wide, I'll do the screens first and save the ugly skirting job for last, LOL. In fact, I'll start the screens today, I can put some thin plywood sections atop the covered pool table and use the lot as a workbench, doing the screens one at a time in the comfort of indoor A/C, yeah? I'll do the skirting in the early morning hours, taking as many days as necessary to complete that ugly task... it'll probably go faster than expected, once I actually get started on the job. This final stretch of home rehab is always the toughest... one gets burned out on doing it after 4+ months of rehab work. :confused:

Took some pics of the sky the other evening, and as it grew dark I flipped the Canon cam into "Creative Shots" mode, you can see the results as the timeline progresses:

IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2175.JPG

Pretty cool, huh? The clouds are real, but I guess the Canon cam threw in a fake moon in some pics... we just had a new moon on 7/2, so no way it's that big yet, LOL. Which reminds me, I noticed on my wall calendar that there are TWO new moons this month, kind of like an offset parallel to the better-known full "Blue Moon" in astronomy. Perhaps we can call this a "New Blue Moon" or a "Blue New Moon" on 7/31, I'm sure the New Age folks will be overjoyed, it'll be a bonus for them... according to New Agers, the kind of day one has on the day of the new moon determines what kind of month lies ahead. Roman calendar months don't really figure into this equation, it's all based upon the lunar cycle. However, I imagine the interval is roughly the same as it is for the regular "Blue Moon"---2 years and 9 months if I correctly remember my astronomy, no reason why it should be any different for the new moon when one counts the calendar months. Just an odd bit of trivia for youse nautical heroes, and a "heads up" for New Age types, LOL. :rolleyes:

Round #2 of pics:

IMG_2176.JPG IMG_2178.JPG IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2181.JPG IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2196.JPG

Tiger sure likes those camp chairs on the deck, they are supremely comfortable, LOL. Middle shots show Tiger & Phoenix sharing a bowl of milk, I let 'em have a small bowl every so often so their bones grow strong... Tiger is almost as large as Crackhead now, while Phoenix remains the smallest of the trio. There's Crackhead "break dancing" on the carpet, all the cats do this but Crackhead does it the most, I guess he has rhythm in his soul, LOL. I like the way the afternoon sun shines on my bottle collection this time of year, won't last long at the northern end of the building with the sun already heading for more southerly latitudes after the summer solstice... another week or two and the sun will no longer angle through these north-facing windows. Last but not least, we have Phoenix lying atop the covered pool table, all the kittehs do this so they can enjoy the spectacular view, LOL. Little Phoenix always looks so SE-WIOUS, one would think that like Atlas she had the weight of the world on her shoulders... she has come a long way since her arrival, only took two months for some of that shyness to wear off, she was practically feral when I rescued her. :eek:

Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M OFF TO PICK UP A FEW ITEMS IN TOWN BEFORE I GET STARTED ON THOSE WINDOW SCREENS... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Well, my window screens are all done, except for those I'm deliberately leaving off: the window closest to my rack in the master bedroom, the kittehs like going in & out of that one when the temp is cool, plus the kitchen window which is in a crooked frame anyway, I like seeing all the birds in the yard without looking through a screen while I'm prepping food or doing the dishes, aye? Even a new screen, but there's no point in swapping out the old one for the kitchen, I'll never open that particular window anyway, the smaller slider next to it works just fine on breezy days. Here are some shots taken over the past two days:

IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2231.JPG IMG_2232.JPG IMG_2233.JPG IMG_2236.JPG IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2240.JPG

There's my "workbench" for fixing the screens, LOL... I didn't bother buying the little wheeled tool for the screens, I just used that driver & that flat washer you see in the photos. Took a few shots between beers while watching "HAMBURGER HILL" last night... another free DVD from the Benson Public Library. Little Phoenix sure is a cutie, but Tiger is on track to rival Sage in size, he's already about as large as Crackhead and he's growing every day, LOL. That plant with the flowers started life as a weed in my yard, but now that it's blooming I'm giving it a reprieve, LOL... probably transplant it over by the fence and see if it survives, I like the colorful flowers in the high desert. :rolleyes:

A couple more shots of that flowering plant, a "volunteer" as me dear departed mum used to say:

IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2247.JPG IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2249.JPG IMG_2250.JPG

Dunno what kind of plant that is, I'll have to look it up in my guides, but anything with flowers is a keeper in my book, LOL. That sign was given to me by Friend Doug (not a Quaker), he's the one who cooks that kick@$$ craft moonshine, guy ought to cook shine for the masses and make some serious money, LOL. Anyway, Doug, if you read this, there's your sign, 10-4? The kittehs like those walkways I put up for them, and that "ladder" to the roof... I used cedar fence planks for all that, the planks are only $2 each plus chump change, no worries. I used odd bits of hardware to mount them, stuff I scrounged from the property and "repurposed" to save a dollar or two, LOL. I'm gonna wrap those walkways round the corner and create another "ladder" to the roof, that way the kittehs will have two ways on & off, always good to have options when you're a cat, LOL. The walkways also make fine ledges for the kittehs to lie on and sun themselves (or grab some shade), the breeze usually makes these aerial walkways quite pleasant... I'm probably the only fool in Benson who does this sort of thing for his cats, but WTF, this is their home too and I want them to enjoy it as much as I do, aye? :rolleyes:

Kitteh shots for the weekend, I'm still using free library Wi-Fi as I finish the home rehab, free library DVDs on the 65" curved screen for entertainment at night, LOL. Football season is fast approaching, gotta get that rigged up at the house before the regular season opener. This library is closed on weekends, go figure, but one can still get on the Interwebs by parking in front of the building and glomming onto the web, provided one is willing to sit in a hot car (loud denial buzzer sounds here). Arizona sun is FIERCE: even though the A/C cranks in the Mighty Camry, it's hard-pressed to counter the sun beating down on metal and glass. :confused:

IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2330.JPG IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2346.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2355.JPG

Kittehs love rolling in the dirt, but they seem to shake off most of it before entering our home, so no worries. Little Phoenix sure is a cutie, but she can't keep up with Tiger's growth, he's already a monster for his age. There's Crackhead messing around during playtime, my favorite activity is "BOWLING FOR KITTEHS!!!" That's where I hurl those jingle balls downrange (indoors) and watch the cats pile up on one another as they chase each ball, LOL. Our home has a floor plan ideal for bowling, there's a long corridor angling between architectural islands. Last shot shows "Undercover Crackhead" asleep between camo sheets on our rack, dunno if that camo pattern is helping him much, LOL. :rolleyes:

Was gonna drive up Mt. Graham today, but the questionable cloud cover put me off... I want nice clear pics showing 150-mile views from the summit, which lies over 10,700' in elevation. There's even an observatory high on the mountain because the night skies are tremendously clear, one can see a million stars overhead, and the stars are BRIGHT like freakin' LEDs... hard to beat stargazing at elevation in Arizona, away from all the cities and other sources of pollution. I'll probably drive up Mt. Graham early next week, I wanna catch a day when the long views can be recorded with my Canon cam, it might've been okay today but I wanna be sure, since it'll be an all-day excursion, aye??? :cool:

GOTTA HIT TOWN & RESUPPLY FOR THE WEEKEND, NO POINT IN HAVING A BACHELOR PAD WITHOUT BEER & BBQ, LOL... CHEERS!!! ;)