Laser >> Info

CDN Sailor

As we all know drlaser.org is the only website you need to go to find info about laser's and laser sailing. Is there an equivalent or at least something that has a lot of info about Laser >>'s? I've sailed radials for the past 3 years and am now moving to Laser 2's and want to get a head start with some winter reading.

LaserII info?

I have the same question.I've been searching the net but haven't found anything that comes even remotely close to this site.
I am seriously considering buying a Laser II but I have very limited knowledge of sailing,all my sailing experience is windsurfing.
Do you think I should be looking for a laser instead of a laserII?
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

My recamendation would be to take a sailing class or crew for someone else if you have never really sailed before. Buying a boat and jumping right in is a romantic notion but unsafe and unrealistic; it can be more frustrating than not being able to sail at all.

As for a Laser II you may have already seen this at Vanguard:
http://www.teamvanguard.com/boats/m/_general/laser2_home.asp
It provides the basics covering the boat.

Also check out:
http://www.laser2sailing.org/
It is contstanly being developed...but at least its something.

Good Luck :)

Thanks for the sites,like you say ,it's a start anyway.
I think I gave a bit of the wrong impression as I have had more experience than I impied.I've been hard core windsurfing for 15 years ,and I do crew on a sailboat but only in the past year.The idea of getting a dingy is to become a better sailor.
So I know that I want to continue to sail,but I wonder is if a Laser II would be too much for a novice sailor.
Thanks so much for your input!
Jen

[quote:bb53793a16="jen"]Thanks for the sites,like you say ,it's a start anyway.
I think I gave a bit of the wrong impression as I have had more experience than I impied.I've been hard core windsurfing for 15 years ,and I do crew on a sailboat but only in the past year.The idea of getting a dingy is to become a better sailor.
So I know that I want to continue to sail,but I wonder is if a Laser II would be too much for a novice sailor.
Thanks so much for your input!
Jen[/quote:bb53793a16]

My apologies. I assumed that your expieriance was limited. :wink: I have never sailed on a Laser II but they do seem very challenging. Is there a way that you can use one before you go and rent it out. This way your not buying it then stuck if you decide its not the boat that fits your needs.

:)

Our high school sailing team used to race Laser 2's. We didn't use spinnakers and trapezes. They are possible to single-hand, but depending on your weight, you might get too overpowered with much wind. And you couldn't use the trapeze by yourself!

Where did you sail in high school? I'm on a team, and as far as I know everyone sails FJ's. I'm not sure about it though... By the way, what's your opinion on Laser 2's? Are they as good all-around as Laser's?

I sail on the high school team in Friday Harbor, WA. We used to race Laser 2's, but now we sail Vanguard 15's. In my opinion, the Laser 2's were a lot of maintenence work. If you buy an older one, be prepared to do a lot of repairing. The main difference between the Laser and Laser 2 is that the Laser 2 is meant for double-handed sailing.

ummm...k

well i've been to boat shows and had some chats with some vanguard reps. they were nice and honest and even told me that the laser 2's weren't exactly the best design because most of the focus while sailing one is to keep it upright. now i've never sailed one but thats what he told me directly! now if you want to get mre advanced, a vector is perfect for you. i know they look intimidating however they are so so so easy!skipper and crew are on the wire so keeping her upright really isn't a huge matter. but what the best thing in the world is, is what they created for the spiniker. The halyard runs along the bottom of the boat and when you want to raise it you just haul on the halyard. ptetty much the same so far. but when you want to douse it, you pull the OTHER way on the SAME halyard. this tucks the kite nicely into a built in sail locker and even retracks the pole!! with the same halyard!! the crew never has to do a thing!

I have am looking after a Laser 2 Regatta (with all the racing mods) and frankly wouldn't be inclined to actually buy one. They are OK as far as boats go, decently powered, nice big symetric spinnaker (with a 7' spinny pole which can be lethal) but they are a bit old hat now. They use the original controls off the Laser, so 3:1 kicker, next to useless outhaul and under powered cunningham. If I had to get a Laser 2 it would be the 'new Wave' or 'Turbo' version which are quite rare but had a Asymetric spinny with a rather ugly retractable pole bolted on top of the fore deck. the 2 was replaced by the 3000 and the V3000 which proper asymetics wich a bit more room, think the V3000 had a Gnav rather than a Kicker/Vang so made a bit more room for crew as was a tight fit between the centre main and the kicker for fast wire to wire tacks. If single handed why not go for the standard laser/radial.

Back