Laser II: Replace missing main halyard cleat?

DFlather

Still amidst the restoration project...

While looking over the mast, it looks like I'm missing the mainsail halyard cleat.

In this pic from CautionWater, it's the chrome cleat that's missing. I do have the black part with the saw tooth pattern, and I see the two holes from apparently where the cleat once was.

Since the cleat appears to have been riveted to the mast, is there a safe and reliable method by which to replace it?

Thanks all

upload_2017-2-21_6-45-56.png

First, don't rely on Caution Water for anything. They have no idea how to rig or tune a Laser 2.

The main halyard is cleated at the rack (the sawtooth thing). You pull the main high enough that the wire part of the halyard comes out of the mast, and you hook the wire loop on one of the teeth.

If it's an original 1981 mast you have, the jib halyard cleats at a lock close to the hounds, and there is no second rack near the mast foot. The horn cleat is probably for the jib halyard tail, which means it's nice but not necessary.

Pictures of your mast foot, hounds and mast top areas would help quite a bit for further analysis.

Thanks LaLi, for the tips. I'll take a post a pic of my specific mast base. Perhaps you can tell if anything is in fact missing.

British Laser 2 class still has some good videos on youtube

Most useful one is about how to rig the traveller correctly, it makes a huge difference.

BTW you can sail the L2 from the trapeeze without the jib, it like a poor man's Contender, great boat.

British Laser 2 class still has some good videos on youtube
True. I've posted the link before but might as well post it again: UKLaser2Class
BTW you can sail the L2 from the trapeeze without the jib, it like a poor man's Contender, great boat.
For that, you'd have to rig a double tiller extension (49er style), a stronger forestay + mast attachment, and you'd end up with a seriously imbalanced boat (lots of weather helm/hard to steer) anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah, well I didn't think it would work either, there are two ways of doing the tiller extension. I have a double one, but if you sheet off the boom and are careful with the extension length you can use a singled ended one as it will go forwards under the boom. A friend lent me an adjustable one that really helps to sort out the lengths, but I had to give it back so am using the double.

Sailing with the main only does cause difficulties but only when going slow after a tack so you have to turn onto a close reach, accelerate and then turn up into the wind, once it's moving fast all is well.

To cope with the forestay loads on that thin forestay the boat comes with I hoist the jib as usual, take off the jib sheets and roll it tightly around the forestay and use some tape to secure it. Works fine but some windage however I'm only blasting so it does not really matter.

Maybe this year I'll work out a self tacking jib and that will be great. Like a cheap 29er.......

Back