Laser gunwhale damage repair

SSB Sailor

Late last season, my Laser sustained about a 2 inch long spot of damage on the port side gunwhale during a freak storm. The bids thus far for fixing are more than a newish used Laser would cost, so I want to work on the repair myself (and maybe while I am it, do some other touch up). Asking for advices, guidance, links/videos, so I can get this done in the next month or so. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2452C390-CFF5-46A1-989D-C294AE856E41.jpeg

YouTube has some Laser Restoration videos, just do a search. I think there was a 3 or 4 part series on a restoration project that included a section of the gunwale. Should be an easy fix for yours, sand it back, throw on some thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency), shape it, sand it down again so you can put on some gelcoat, sand it down to the same level as the undamaged gelcoat. Your biggest issue is to make sure the gap between the top and bottom sections are completely filled to prevent water from getting in. Some would suggest putting fiberglass in there to give additional support, but from what I see, I wouldn't worry about it.

YouTube has some Laser Restoration videos, just do a search. I think there was a 3 or 4 part series on a restoration project that included a section of the gunwale. Should be an easy fix for yours, sand it back, throw on some thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency), shape it, sand it down again so you can put on some gelcoat, sand it down to the same level as the undamaged gelcoat. Your biggest issue is to make sure the gap between the top and bottom sections are completely filled to prevent water from getting in. Some would suggest putting fiberglass in there to give additional support, but from what I see, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, it seems simple, but I want to be sure it is done right!

Even if done wrong, as long as it doesn't leak, should be good!:rolleyes: Heck, you can dab a bunch of FlexSeal on there to make it water tight and not fuss with epoxy and sanding!:D

Based on your picture I would highly recommend drying the area completely with a strong fan before attempting a patch. If it’s wet or dirty, the repair will not hold. Additionally I would recommend a similar method using epoxy and gel coat, but if you are familiar with fiber glass work you could do that as well to at least fill in some of the hole.

Back