Laser Gel Coat Clean-up Questions

Hello!

I’m not a frequent user of the forums so sorry if I’m doing something wrong.

I have a ‘73 Laser in blue. It’s in OK overall condition, no leaks, mast step holds water, no major dents. However, the gelcoat is worn and faded, and it has tons of scratches. How does mixing new gelcoat to be the right color work, and is it difficult? Should I sand the hull with 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper? Should I sand off the CF numbers on the hull?

Also, how do you wash the deck? I’ve pressure washed it twice and it still looks stained and dirty. Also, if my sail number starts with a zero do I need to put the zero on the sail, or can it be 4 digits?

Thanks!

Hello!

I’m not a frequent user of the forums so sorry if I’m doing something wrong.

I have a ‘73 Laser in blue. It’s in OK overall condition, no leaks, mast step holds water, no major dents. However, the gelcoat is worn and faded, and it has tons of scratches. How does mixing new gelcoat to be the right color work, and is it difficult? Should I sand the hull with 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper? Should I sand off the CF numbers on the hull?

Also, how do you wash the deck? I’ve pressure washed it twice and it still looks stained and dirty. Also, if my sail number starts with a zero do I need to put the zero on the sail, or can it be 4 digits?

Thanks!
This i a link to a 3M resources page. If you look under the heading “gelcoat finishing “ you should find info on removing the oxidation and polishing the gelcoat. Wash the deck with a stiff brush and soap. There are fiberglass stain removers your can use also.

In the old days, we used rubbing compound & polish to clean up hull & deck, now there are probably superior products available which target the exact problem of oxidation. I would NOT sand hull or deck UNLESS you mean to prime & paint your boat, aye? I haven't looked at that link yet, but 3M is a good place to start, we used a lot of 3M products back in the day, and so did the crew at the surf shop. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rubbing compound for the deck. Lots of rubbing compound! A scrubby brush is helpful too.
I have the same boat maybe a little newer than that though, 78?
The deck should be an off white when it’s clean.

I found Meguiars 49 Oxidation remover to work better than any rubbing compound; great stuff! I've used it on four boats, the newest being the '77 Laser. We bought a '76 Lund ski boat which had been sitting outside for about a decade, and I tried several different polishing / rubbing compounds before the 49. Works really well by hand, or you can get a cheap(ish) power polisher at an auto parts store.

I found Meguiars 49 Oxidation remover to work better than any rubbing compound; great stuff! I've used it on four boats, the newest being the '77 Laser. We bought a '76 Lund ski boat which had been sitting outside for about a decade, and I tried several different polishing / rubbing compounds before the 49. Works really well by hand, or you can get a cheap(ish) power polisher at an auto parts store.

That sounds easier than what I did. I really had to scrub for a few days to get all the dirt and stuff off.

I tried Meguiars 49 yesterday on my '73 blue boat, its best to be in the cool and shade. Question will it improve if I use a power buffer? It has not yet been waxed in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    866.9 KB · Views: 68
I love the color! Mines a much lighter blue. I would sand the bottom with 600 or 800 grit. Sanding will get the scratches in better shape, get rid of the scuffs and maybe even bring back a little color too. Don’t sand the deck bc you will remove the nonskid. I would only wax after it’s nice and smooth. What do others think? I’m curious to see that color when it’s all done!

Back