Laser Control lines?

MarkC22

Ok so got got my laser about a month ago and its all fine it just needs some new lines. A lot of the kids I sail with for their control lines (outhaul, cunningham) use either swiftcord or dinghy control. I was wondering if these would be good choices and what do you use. Also for my main sheet i have no clue. I've seen all differnt kinds. One kind I've seen a bit is the salsa line....is it any good.? What do you recommend. By the way I live on the west coast of Florida and what diameters do you recommend for these lines?

I would recommend chatting to your fellow sailors and seeing what they would recommend. The ropes on my boat are from the Rooster Booster packs, they are pretty good but not sure about their availability is the states. You may also find that some people who have certain lines don't like them and will replace them with something different when they wear out...

Swiftcord is great for control lines. Flies in the vang. Get red,blue and green. Bzzz is a great mainsheet in 7 or 8mm. The stuff feels good in your hands. Check out Intensitysails.com

Another vote for Swiftcord control lines. Both my cunningham and downhaul use it for the piece that I grab, and of these days I'm going to replace the bottom purchase in my vang with it.

I think there are some other lines with similar construction that I would also look at if I were replacing anything, but the 12-braid soft line is great stuff.

I am obviously in the minority of people who don't use Swiftcord =(.

I use all Rooster rope for my control lines:
http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...=1&Product_Code=1766&Category_Code=lk&SortBy=
http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...=1&Product_Code=1759&Category_Code=lc&SortBy=
http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...=1&Product_Code=1771&Category_Code=lo&SortBy=

And for my mainsheet I use an RS sheet:
http://www.ldcsailing.com/kingfishe...e=ropes-rigging-rope-rope-by-function-painter

Hope this helps.

PS I'm not sure if you have XD setup... because if you don't then the Rooster ropes wont be much good as they come in set lengths.

Go to Annapolis performance sailing and order their pro laser line package, you get all the lines pre cut to the correct lengths including an excel fuzion mainsheet which is excellent, btw i sail on west coast of florida, u sail at SSS?

I prefer Vectran for the outer loops of my kicker, traveller and Cunningham. Essentially, I got fed up of continually breaking everything else, since they get a lot of wear (and abuse from me - being well under weight and sailing in high winds a lot tends to hurry the wear up a bit). Everything else is chosen to be reasonably low stretch and long lasting, since there's a lot less pain on them.

I think best option it to use amsteel blue in the cascade(portion you dont use) for vang, outhaul, and cunningham. and then use swiftcord for the cleated portions. This is what APS says and i trust them. Then just use vectran for block ties and traveler.

Hey guys, I was a big fan of Bzzz. Today I tried Paraloc Marlin with a Dyneema core in 8mm. Amazing. You can't kink or twist it. It is very light and does not seem to even get wet. Best of all, it flies through the factory Laser blocks. This stuff works well in light air. 43 feet seems to weigh less than 1 pound. Great mainsheet.

Hey guys, I was a big fan of Bzzz. Today I tried Paraloc Marlin with a Dyneema core in 8mm. Amazing. You can't kink or twist it. It is very light and does not seem to even get wet. Best of all, it flies through the factory Laser blocks. This stuff works well in light air. 43 feet seems to weigh less than 1 pound. Great mainsheet.
I've heard similar thing about the paraloc lines and read some reviews about them they seem great and i was thinking of getting them for my laser, if you don't mind me asking where did you get your line from and was it expensive, like what did your 43' cost

R.W. Enterprise in New Bedford MA. I paid $50 cash for it. It was what was left over from a full reel. I think it's $1.60 per foot if cut.

Back