Laser Clew Sleeve at APS

scullygirl

Hi all,

I'm considering buying what is called the "Laser Clew Sleeve" sold on the APS website. It's a metal clew sleeve that is supposed to be the "all in one" solution to the outhaul and clew tie-down. Has anyone tried this out?

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2344-laser-clewsleevestrapshooks.aspx

I currently use a regular velcro clew tie-down. I attach a bungee from the jam cleat on the boom to the clew tie-down so when I release the outhaul, the sail's foot is motivated to loosen. Would the Laser Clew Sleeve eliminate the need for this bungee?

Mary

Short answer:
maybe

Long answer - it's been hit or miss with everyone, for some it works great, for others poorly or not at all - if you search thru the forums (Search on Clew Sleeve), you'll find many threads where all the details have come out

I used it extensively on both my boats. I bought it as soon as it was released, as I like new shiney things. On my raceboat I went back to the velcro clew strap about 2 yrs ago. I wont go back. I still have the sleeve on my guest boat, but it's coming off soon.

Reason I switched back: the sleeve kept dumping the clew in big breeze. Also, it kept binding up a I eased at the weather mark. It took perfect tension on the inhaul bungie and a lot of mclube to make it slide at all.

If they come out with a new version I will give it a shot, but as it stands I'm going to stay with the velcro tried and true method.

I'd spend the 50 bucks on a new mainsheet or put it toward some gear.

Hi all,

I'm considering buying what is called the "Laser Clew Sleeve" sold on the APS website. It's a metal clew sleeve that is supposed to be the "all in one" solution to the outhaul and clew tie-down. Has anyone tried this out?

I currently use a regular velcro clew tie-down. I attach a bungee from the jam cleat on the boom to the clew tie-down so when I release the outhaul, the sail's foot is motivated to loosen. Would the Laser Clew Sleeve eliminate the need for this bungee?

No, it won't eliminate the need for the bungee unless the sleeve slides very smoothly on your boom. I use one on my boat and I like it. It does require lube and the bungee is need to allow the foot to loosen if the sleeve isn't sliding smoothly.

It boils down to personal preference. I'm happy with it and I see an mix of the sleeve and velcro tie downs on the boats in our local fleet. Around the corner from APS, as a matter of fact. If you're local to Annapolis, you're welcome to stop by my sailing club and check the sleeve out on my boat and see if you like it before you buy it.

Matt

No, it won't eliminate the need for the bungee unless the sleeve slides very smoothly on your boom. I use one on my boat and I like it. It does require lube and the bungee is need to allow the foot to loosen if the sleeve isn't sliding smoothly.

It boils down to personal preference. I'm happy with it and I see an mix of the sleeve and velcro tie downs on the boats in our local fleet. Around the corner from APS, as a matter of fact. If you're local to Annapolis, you're welcome to stop by my sailing club and check the sleeve out on my boat and see if you like it before you buy it.

Matt

Thanks, Matt. I've decided to stick with my velcro sleeve and the bungee inhaul. I'm not local to Annapolis, but if I'm ever there I'll have to check out your sailing club.

Mary

Back