Laser changes over time

What are the specific differences between a '74 Laser and a current one? Would a pristine 70's Laser at $1,000 be a reasonable purchase if I'm not planning to race but do enjoy performance? Right now I'm using a rehabbed and dried out 60's Sunfish and have a suitable trailer and dolly for a Laser. I found the Laser Bahia too demanding and it required competent crew to sail it aggressively so I sold it.

Thanks, Duncan

The hull may of gone soft due to its age but if that hasn't happened it should be the same if not slightly better built than some of the newer boats

I've sailed a boat from the early 70's for 25+ years now. I don't race and I doubt that either I or the boat would be competitive. But I have a WHOLE lot of fun on it. I own all 3 sail sizes and mast lower sections and can enjoy sailing anywhere from a couple knots up towards 30. I'd strong recommend a couple things on older boats-

- Reinforce the mast step before it breaks! It's so much easier than trying to fix it after it breaks + tears up the deck.

- a good ratchet and / or cam cleat mainsheet block has been much better for me than the deck cleats.

- upgrading the vang + outhaul for more purchase has been a big help, especially the vang. I can trim it + flatten out the sail + de-power the boat without luffing up. I'd also recommend installing the internal sleeve in the boom if you upgrade the vang.

- tying a couple knots in the traveller line, to prevent the traveller block from going all the outboard to the gunwale, helps a whole lot to prevent the mainsheet hanging up on the quarter (aft corner) when tacking beam reach to beam reach. Not class legal.

IMHO, old Lasers are about the most fun you can get on the water, for the least money, and least time maintaining a boat, that I know of.

I've got a 77 in pristine condition. Raced over the years but never abused, stored inside for long periods of time. The boat doesn't leak a drop and is one of the fastest boats I've ever seem or sailed on. Wouldn't trade it for brand new right now. The hull gelcoat still glistens. My son is now racing it and doing very well, won last weekend in fact.

If that boat really hasn't been sailed since 74 and they want $1000 for it you should definitely purchase it. You'll spend a small fortune bringing it up to modern racing rules options for sail adjustments, new cleats, blocks, etc, but only if that's important to you. It will also have a wood rudder, wood grab rails, likely a glass board? Sounds like it should be in a museum!

Back