Laser Camper

I recall reading something about Laser camping in the owners manual from the mid 1980s. Other than Ron Pattenden's "Land on My Right" adventure, was that really a thing? Regardless, I am working on a boat that pulled apart into top and bottom halves. As I reassemble it, I would like to "camperize" it. So far, that means coating the inner surfaces with fresh epoxy. When I stuff the hull with supplies, I want to feel confident that cargo won't be shredded on spikey fibers. Here are some photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/hXcwXpWsUjXNwFJq8

What features would you want in a Laser Camper?

Last edited:
If I was to use a laser for distance I'd need a way of reducing sail easily at sea without leaving the cockpit.
Laser can be quite wet. I'd add a breakwater on the deck just forward of the cockpit. For real time in the boat I would take 2-3" thick foam pads and glue them to the side decks to make it comfy and raise the seating position a bit. I'd dispense with the aft sheeting and go fully centered. This would need a new boom. I guess it really depends on where you are cruising......Finally I'd shorten the leach by 9" (just add another cringle further up. This would raise the boom making it easier in a blow as it would not catch the water as easily, or my head.

I recall reading something about Laser camping in the owners manual from the mid 1980s. Other than Ron Pattenden's "Land on My Right" adventure, was that really a thing? Regardless, I am working on a boat that pulled apart into top and bottom halves. As I reassemble it, I would like to "camperize" it. So far, that means coating the inner surfaces with fresh epoxy. When I stuff the hull with supplies, I want to feel confident that cargo won't be shredded on spikey fibers. Here are some photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/hXcwXpWsUjXNwFJq8

What features would you want in a Laser Camper?
Awesome! Looks like mine did haha. Good luck!

This is a cool project. Keep posting updates, I'll be keen to see your solutions. Could you build in a coffee maker?

Your project looks admirable. But here's how I have had many successful Laser camps. I put all the tent and gear in the big dry bag and strap that to the mast on the foredeck, with ties to make sure it won't shift while heeling or capsize. Water and maybe a bottle or two of wine in the cockpit, and the SUP board in tow behind. Simple, and she really goes well to weather with that weight forward.

Attachments

• Laser camp load.JPG
    Laser camp load.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • PA080004.JPG
    PA080004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
Mountain Mariner - did you ever complete this project (maybe I missed it) Would love to see photos and experiences.....

Back