Laser Calendar 2007

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi all,
today, while surfing a bit around, I have seen at the homepeage of the Laserclass of Italy ( http://www.assolaser.org/ ), that they have an own Laser-Calendar for 2006 ("Calendario fotografico 2006").

I reminded to a question of George of WestCoastSailing in Dec-2005, he was asking, if anybody knows about such a calendar for 2006.

Okay, time is running now in 2006 and from Italy I do not know anybody, that can say me something to this nice calendar they have made or where to get it there.

So, I thought (and George, too, I guess), why not we, the family of TLF can do such a project?
We have a photo-gallery here and enough Laserites hers, that have a camera and can post their best pictures here at the TLF-gallery for the 2007-Calendar), if Bradley agrees to that.

F.e.: At the beginning of a new month, one of the new photos of the last month is chosen by a poll for the 2007 calendar. (for January, perhaps we take one that already is there at the gallery and for November/December the poll has to be made earlier, to get the calendar in production early enough).

With some help of the officials that are here, perhaps, the class produces the 2007 calender for the Laserites (on the number of pre-order bo minder the risk of making a "minus"-profit). The selling could be done by the Laser-stores or also via Ebay (because it is easy to pay with Paypal for Laserites that do not have a Creditcard).

If the project runs with "+"-profit, it may should be donated to anILCA- youth-Laser-Project, that we make a poll about.

Of course, every one whom's photo has been chosen should get such a calender for free, for that she/he gives her/his photo-copyright to the Calendar-project.

What do you think?

Ciao
LooserLu

SFBayLaser said:
...how easy it is to produce (and sell!) your own calendar....
Yes, of course. Here in GER it is easy to make a self-calendar. Only the photos have to made and glued or printed to sold ready-preproduced calendars. Several PC-shareware-software-progamms do the designing etc. also and so, not even ready preproduced calendars are needed.
But personally I think, this calendars often also look like "self-made"-calendars.
Another point is, taking someones photos, without their permittion, can make much problems with advocates here in GER. So, this selfmade-calendars are nothing for sale, if the photos are not the own.
Perhaps also, other Laserites have not the ability or interest or time of selfmaking such a thing, but would like to have one if it is sold. So, it would be nice, I guess, if there would be one (perhaps, only a small one, for the desk), that has been produced professional in the way that is shown at the homepage of the Laserclass of Italy.
Tracy, you know, here in GER, we not even have simple stickers of the Laser, like we had them her in the beginning of the 80ties and in the 90ties. There, we now go and produce our own stickers in the moment (but we not sell them, in reason of the copyrights of the builder PSE and their bad advocates -so, we only use them for our own and mke them to a present to friends)

Ciao
LooserLu

LooserLu said:
Tracy, you know, here in GER, we not even have simple stickers of the Laser, like we had them her in the beginning of the 80ties and in the 90ties. There, we now go and produce our own stickers in the moment (but we not sell them, in reason of the copyrights of the builder PSE and their bad advocates -so, we only use them for our own and mke them to a present to friends)

Ciao
LooserLu

Hey, that raises an interesting question, at least interesting to me. Where can one buy Laser memorabilia like T-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains, etc.? I want a Laser t-shirt, and I want it now! Has anybody used Vanguard's or the other makers licenses to make these things?

Merrily

Merrily said:
Hey, that raises an interesting question, at least interesting to me. Where can one buy Laser memorabilia like T-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains, etc.? I want a Laser t-shirt, and I want it now! Has anybody used Vanguard's or the other makers licenses to make these things?

Merrily

Wasn't there a time when the NA class office sold stuff like this? Who was that guy who was running the office then? Wonder what happened to him.

Old Geezer said:
Wasn't there a time when the NA class office sold stuff like this? Who was that guy who was running the office then? Wonder what happened to him.

Ha Ha, you mean Fred/Gouvernail?

Merrily

Merrily said:

Merrily
I had the same question. I bought a Vanguard laser t shirt - it's sort of lame. They have maybe two - a long and a short sleeve. Why aren't there nice shirts and gear with bold graphics? You can buy a Gill or a Ronstan shirt. And no stickers? Remember the old Laser stickers?

Idea - Vanguard charges a reasonable fee for licensing decent stuff....better marketing...more interest...they sell more boats.

Hey, I checked www.teamvanguard.com and they have a couple of pretty nice T-shirts, key rings, belts, and a few other things right now under accessories. I guess it's not that hard to have your own stickers made.

Merrily

Just thought I would throw this in. Not just anyone can make a Laser shirt, hat, or anything else with the Laser logo on it. I contacted Vanguard a year ago about making some shirts but I was politely told no by Chip because they license the right to that logo for shirts, etc. to another company (or maybe themselves now).

EDIT: Oops...I kind of missed MasterMike's comment about licensing.

Bradley said:
Just thought I would throw this in. Not just anyone can make a Laser shirt, hat, or anything else with the Laser logo on it. I contacted Vanguard a year ago about making some shirts but I was politely told no by Chip because they license the right to that logo for shirts, etc. to another company (or maybe themselves now).

EDIT: Oops...I kind of missed MasterMike's comment about licensing.
I agree to Bradleys words in this way:
As long as you use "things" for your own, no one can hang you up. In the moment you try to sell "things" (f.e.: at Ebay) the advocates are in the boat.
A lot of advocates wait for such a nice chance to earn some bucks by your fault.... :(

Here where I live, several "things" are to find (f.e.: at Ebay.de). Already buying such "things" is illegal here. But no one really cares here in the moment and so: "things" are sold (f.e. at Ebay) and people buy.

So, in reason of this above, my thought was, to get the class into the boat for a project that perhaps brings money into the pocket for the 4.7/Radial-sailing youth events of the class and makes the buyers of such a calendar also happy.
But, if the class says: "Nitschewa" (means 1:1-translated from Russia to English: "No"), the only way to make such things like a calendar is: Make your own one for ypur own present...

So, George, your first words to me unfortunately are true, I guess, sorry... You make your calendar and the LooserLu makes his one.

If the out-of-the-box-boatbuilders (PSEat 6 Riverside in Banbury, OX165TL, GB) not want to make a calendar for the people that buy their boats and parts and the class is not willing too, the national and international laws to that aspect is definitely on their side.

By the way, I think, in our days the word "Laser" would have been under strong copyright of that scientific people, that invented the word "Light-Amplified-Spectral?-Energized?-Radiation?" perhaps today. In the former days the word was been chosen for a name our loved dinghy, the inventors of that boat, didn't really were aware about rights and laws in that point of view, I guess....

Cheers

LooserLu said:
By the way, I think, in our days the word "Laser" would have been under strong copyright of that scientific people, that invented the word "Light-Amplified-Spectral?-Energized?-Radiation?" perhaps today. In the former days the word was been chosen for a name our loved dinghy, the inventors of that boat, didn't really were aware about rights and laws in that point of view, I guess....

Cheers

At the ILCA-NA they tell me that Vanguard has the North American license on the Laser burst to make apparel, so I think they DO know about rights.

Merrily

Ludwig, it might be the licensing that ruins us.

Scott from the Boathouse mentioned he did this many years ago, and had to pay a royalty. The idea wasn't ever to make money, but to have a cool laser calendar.

I'll keep digging though, see what occurs. (maybe vanguard can make an inexpensive one for us, they should have some good laser pics)

i think it would be a cool idea if ILC-NA turned it into a contest and a fund raiser. they could do it and have people send in photo's and they choose the best ones and put them in a calender and they could sell it and maybe make some money.

The nice folks in the Laser office MIGHT have some leftovers from the old classs office.
Chip was nice enough to always allow us toi use the laser trademarked stuff for promotional stuff because after all we were promoting his stuff as well and we had the exact same goals.
The class wanted chip to build more boats and chip wanted to build more boats.
As long as we didn't do anything stupid and offensive or that would harm the reputation of the Laser we were teammates with no restrictions.

I still have some ofm the leftover 2005 easter laser regatta t shirts. Legalize Medical sailing on the front and a great drawing on the back.....check the regatta webpage. I will use any money for more 2006 t shirts and food and trophies.

back to the calendars.

Eric faust can probably give great insight here. he has to do the J-24 calendar each year. my impresion is...The calendar loses money but it is on walls all over the world and people see the photos and ask questions and maybe get into their first ride as a result??

How do you measure the value of a calendar on 1000 walls?? Is it money well spent for the class goal of managing and promoting the game of Laser sailing??

maybe??

If sokmebody gathered a great set of suitable photos and took the initiative to find a printer and cost it all out, the class might be able to decide whether the investment is a worthy one.

I never got around to selling fellow officers on the concept and publishing a calendar because I just did not ever figure out how to get it done and cheaply enough to risk the funds. and it is a lot of work!!! and then somebody has to package and ship the orders and count the money and account for it and who has all that time??

Back