Laser boom inner sleeve

I have a broken top-section which I had kept with the intention of making a spare boom, I called the uk lp shop & asked if I could buy the inner boom sleeve kit, the reply was that they no longer make or stock that part, so my question is can someone tell me the correct length, tube outer/inner diameter, and wall thickness.
I have seen these available in the USA http://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/90418.html & was startled that this is unavailable in the uk.
So the last part of the question is if the part is no longer available in the uk & I fit the same size tube would the boom still be class legal ?

So the last part of the question is if the part is no longer available in the uk & I fit the same size tube would the boom still be class legal ?
The simple answer is no. You're meant buy a new complete boom or source a legally supplied sleeve from an old boom It's an arguable whether it was ever legal to use cut down top section as a boom from reading 26.(c) of the rules, but it's something that many have done for decades. When they were available legally, I always asked for the dealer to supply bare sections and all the fittings so that I could assemble my spars using corrosion inhibitor without having to remove all the fittings first.

I used a top section and the inner sleeve from my old (snapped) boom. All I did was drill out all the rivets which were holding the inner sleeve in, and then marked it up with the fittings on the top section.
I usually do some events and they don't usually care. (Mainly because I never won any big events. =P)
So if you want to do national and inland events... I would buy a new one, but if you are only doing local events and club racing you can make one yourself.

Thanks for the replies, Alan I was banking on you knowing the exact measurements, the problem is I don't have a broken boom that I can remove the inner sleeve from to measure,
this is just to make a spare boom for low key club racing.

Thanks for the replies, Alan I was banking on you knowing the exact measurements, the problem is I don't have a broken boom that I can remove the inner sleeve from to measure,
this is just to make a spare boom for low key club racing.

18. BOOM
(a) A metal sleeve supplied by the builder of maximum
length 900 mm may be fixed inside the boom. The
sleeve shall not extend aft of the point 1220 mm
from the front end of the boom (including plug).

Now, we need to get Alan to ignore the next part, but if you have an extra 900mm left over from the top section after cutting to length for a spare (non legal) boom, you can make your sleeve from that. You just need to rip a slice down the length on a table saw so that you can then squeeze it to slide it inside the boom.

Thanks for that 49208 it may be the best option,
no one appears to know the correct sizes of the now obsolete UK part ?

The last one I bought was a long time ago but I seem to recall it was a smaller diameter rather tube rather than a similar diameter as the boom with a slit cut down the length. It was held in place by the rivets to the gooseneck fitting I think.

Is it possible to order it from West Coast and ship it to UK? I think they ship to Australia. I recently bought an OS starting watch from the UK and it didn't take much more than 10-days or so to get to the west coast. Maybe shipping to the UK would be about as quick. If they can't ship to the UK you could ask them if they would tell you what the alloy (usually stamped on the tube), wall thickness and outer diameter are.

Merrily please phone laser performance UK before adding an uninformed sweeping statement like that,
I did & the reply was that they no longer make or stock that item & wont be in the future, In my eyes that makes the part obsolete in the UK
Why do you think I am asking for help on this forum?

Merrily please phone laser performance UK before adding an uninformed sweeping statement like that,
I did & the reply was that they no longer make or stock that item & wont be in the future, In my eyes that makes the part obsolete in the UK
Why do you think I am asking for help on this forum?

It's not obsolete in the sense that it is class legal. If they no longer stock it, then it seems like something is very wrong.

I think the answer is in what AlanD said,
they don't want you recycling you top section into booms, so how long before the sleeve is no longer made or stocked by the US suppliers.
But as you say, its not obsolete because its class legal,
What would you call it when its no longer available anywhere in the world?
out of stock?

The sleeves are still being fitted into the booms, it is not an obsolete part. It's just that the actual part is not separately available, just like bare sections are no longer available, sleeves for the radial bottom sections, decks etc. The only reason why the sleeves were ever made available in the first place was to let people upgrade the old sleeves in their existing booms to the current sleeve. The sleeve should be shorter than 900mm, it is a smaller diameter than the section diameter and probably a similar thickness.

APS lists the part as LP90418 in their on line catalog. It's 33 USD. Can you order it to the UK from a USA supplier? If they won't ship overseas, and it really *is* in stock, then you can get a US based Laser sailor to pick one up and send it to you. I'd be glad to do that as long as you do all the leg work, sort out the costs, determine customs procedures, etc.

Sounds like another way for LP to be making money, why sell a lseve when we can seel a whole boom....

In all seriousness (and I know people will shoot me down in flames for this) just make one up and stick it inside your top section. Unless you are at worlds/nationals level no one will care. You are using a builder supplier tube and performing a practice that has been commonplace for many years in the class.

I am sure you can find a broken boom somewhere to either have the sleeve out of it or measure it and make one up.

There is a thread on here somewhere about sleeving the boom, it is probably in the FAQ section at the top of this forum.

Thanks Richard for the offer,
the offer is likewise if you see anything in the UK PM me.

Thanks Paul, when I started this thread I thought that someone would just have the measurements as they have probably been down this road before,
yet no one has yet to come forward,
49208 has had the best idea, thats poss the last resort,
I know its not legal but I don't think that will matter at my club level.
I ant no tree hugger but I don't like the idea that Ive ordered parts from halfway round the world when laser UK is an hours drive away.

Even at UK National level no one cares if you are using an official boom, or one you have made from official parts. Not really sure why anyone would. So long as its not a replica what is the problem?

Well "builder supplied" becomes rather meaningless when the builder does not supply it. Availabilty of parts worse than ever from what I hear.

The sleeve is not a part that wears out or breaks without the whole boom assembly breaking. There should be no need for it to be sold separately anymore. 99% of all the components used in the construction of the laser are not available without buying the complete assumbly, the sleeve is no different. Can you purchase the bottom panel of the sail? Or the left plate of the rudder head? Or the pin that forms the gooseneck fitting?

I had a look on the sailboats site, very good for the laser11, 3000, 4000, 5000 parts but much of a muchness with the laser parts,
most fittings are from different manufactures anyway its the core items that we need an availability of.

The sleeve is not a part that wears out or breaks without the whole boom assembly breaking. There should be no need for it to be sold separately anymore. 99% of all the components used in the construction of the laser are not available without buying the complete assumbly, the sleeve is no different. Can you purchase the bottom panel of the sail? Or the left plate of the rudder head? Or the pin that forms the gooseneck fitting?

Have to disagree with the logic AND the 99%

Look at Rudders/Daggerboards and the parts avail for them...

Rudder Pivot Pin, 3/8
Price: $4.60​
Rudderhead w/Pintles​
Price: $126.00​
Daggerboard Stop Set​
Price: $10.00​
Rudder Lift Stop
Price: $9.00​
Retaining Pin & Line
Price: $6.00​
Rudder Bushing Assy., 3/16​
Price: $7.00​

Booms next:

Boom Sleeve Assembly Kit
Price: $33.00​
Vang Strap Kit
Price: $15.00​
Gooseneck Plug Kit
Price: $11.00​
End Plug Kit​
Price: $10.00​
Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Webbing.​
Price: $8.00​
Becket Block Kit
Price: $23.00​
Bullet Block Kit
Price: $21.00​
Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Stainless​
Price: $9.00​
Rivets - Aluminum (10)​
Price: $4.44​
Rivets - Stainless Steel (10)
Price: $5.75​
Traveler Fairlead, Blue
Price: $4.00​
Clam Cleat, Hardkote (Anodized) Aluminum​
Price: $15.0​

I could keep going, but I hope I've made the point on both.

If the builders and/or class officials don't want us building our own booms from broken top sections, then at least offer a bare tube with the sleeve, as everything else is re-useable when a boom section breaks.

Lasernut is pretty expert at making booms up from broken booms and top sections nowadays. Neither of us see the point in binning perfectly good class legal parts if they can be made up into a functioning item.

All I can say is that if the option of building a boom from a broken top-section wasn't available, I would be sailing with an Intensity boom instead of the (class legal) boom I built over the summer.

Alan,
Here in Ohio we still have people using old boats for events in which they must be class legal. I'm thinking in particular of Junior Bay week at Put-in-Bay. Until last year this event was the regional quarter final for the Smythe Trophy, the U.S.'s single-handed dinghy national award. We do what we can to get every kid who is interested on the water. It's not all rich kids.

Have to disagree with the logic AND the 99%

Look at Rudders/Daggerboards and the parts avail for them...

Rudder Pivot Pin, 3/8
Price: $4.60
Rudderhead w/Pintles
Price: $126.00
Daggerboard Stop Set
Price: $10.00
Rudder Lift Stop
Price: $9.00
Retaining Pin & Line
Price: $6.00
Rudder Bushing Assy., 3/16
Price: $7.00

Booms next:

Boom Sleeve Assembly Kit
Price: $33.00
Vang Strap Kit
Price: $15.00
Gooseneck Plug Kit
Price: $11.00
End Plug Kit
Price: $10.00
Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Webbing.
Price: $8.00
Becket Block Kit
Price: $23.00
Bullet Block Kit
Price: $21.00
Lacing Eyestrap Kit - Stainless
Price: $9.00
Rivets - Aluminum (10)
Price: $4.44
Rivets - Stainless Steel (10)
Price: $5.75
Traveler Fairlead, Blue
Price: $4.00
Clam Cleat, Hardkote (Anodized) Aluminum
Price: $15.0

I could keep going, but I hope I've made the point on both.
Quite a large number of the items you've listed are assemblies,
your old style forward boom block are made up a sheave, two plastic casings, 4 washers, 2 pins (rivets technically). The new ones are similar but probably contain 20+ ball bearings.
your daggerboard stop set, is made up of 3 parts
Your rudder head is made up of more than a dozen parts, each of the pintles on it consists of multiple parts welded together.

The only things sold are those items assemblies or parts that fail, wear out or lost and can be easily replaced. They are selling items at the logical assembly level to sell them. You can argue that bare sections should be sold and a corresponding part would include the sleeve and I would agree, it was always my preferred way to purchase spars including with brand new boats as I still disassemble them to put on the anti corrosion gunk, but for what ever reason they have decided to stop supplying bare sections.

Lasernut is pretty expert at making booms up from broken booms and top sections nowadays. Neither of us see the point in binning perfectly good class legal parts if they can be made up into a functioning item.

Ditto.

All I can say is that if the option of building a boom from a broken top-section wasn't available, I would be sailing with an Intensity boom instead of the (class legal) boom I built over the summer.

But they expect you to transfer all the parts across that can be re-used. This includes the sleeve. Not to just end up with two complete booms.

Alan,
Here in Ohio we still have people using old boats for events in which they must be class legal. I'm thinking in particular of Junior Bay week at Put-in-Bay. Until last year this event was the regional quarter final for the Smythe Trophy, the U.S.'s single-handed dinghy national award. We do what we can to get every kid who is interested on the water. It's not all rich kids.

Keep doing what you've been doing I suspect, which probably includes scrounging parts of broken equipment. Trust me, the budget we had when I ran the university sailing clubs here was very small and my current budget for myself is a fraction of what I was spemding when I was "competitive". Hell I suspect that I spend more on my partners boat than I do on mine and she seems to get all my prizes transferred onto her boat.

The sleeve is not a part that wears out or breaks without the whole boom assembly breaking. There should be no need for it to be sold separately anymore....
. I'm doing up an old Laser, sail number 24877, dating to around 1976. The original boom has no sleeve, and bends excessively when I crank the vang/kicker on in strong winds. A boom sleeve costs AU$38.45, and a boom assembly complete is $354.59. This is a legitimate reason for buying a sleeve separately.

In response to my post where I linked to a boom sleeve available in the UK;
Well "builder supplied" becomes rather meaningless when the builder does not supply it. Availability of parts worse than ever from what I hear.
. Remind you that this thread began with
I have a broken top-section which I had kept with the intention of making a spare boom…
, which is obviously not a builder-supplied boom, and sought a sleeve in the UK.

Mostly I’m finding the information in this forum very, very useful in understanding the options and issues I’m facing in doing up a Laser. Thanks to those of you who aren’t just arguing for the sake of arguing.

. I'm doing up an old Laser, sail number 24877, dating to around 1976. The original boom has no sleeve, and bends excessively when I crank the vang/kicker on in strong winds. A boom sleeve costs AU$38.45, and a boom assembly complete is $354.59. This is a legitimate reason for buying a sleeve separately.

In response to my post where I linked to a boom sleeve available in the UK; . Remind you that this thread began with , which is obviously not a builder-supplied boom, and sought a sleeve in the UK.

Mostly I’m finding the information in this forum very, very useful in understanding the options and issues I’m facing in doing up a Laser. Thanks to those of you who aren’t just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Your post sums up the whole thread nicely......except that the part ( Laser Performance part number: 90418) is no longer available in the UK.; your link refers to a Laser 3000 mylar mainsheet guide.
Hence the arguing.

I don't think the people of the USA would be best pleased with a length of Mylar stuffed down there boom instead of an aluminum tube,
that possibly why such a price difference ?

You are aware that the short sleeve was introduced about 30 years ago and the long sleeve about 20 years( I don't have any of my class rule books on hand to confirm those time frames but they are about right). I tend to agree with the factories on this one that there has been plenty of time for people to fit sleeves to existing booms.

Back