Laser Bahia

Hello everyone!

I noticed above that folk are recovering from solo capsizes without problems. What are you doing? I uncleat all sheets, stand on the capsized hull's edge and pull on the centreboard, then stand at the edge of the centreboard once at the 90deg. But I can't get it past that point! The manual gives a minimum crew weight for recovery: I think 150kg. Maybe a bit more tasty souvlaki?
I would try baklava; worked for me (older Laser sailor)...

Laser Bahia owners,
I bought a used 2009 Laser Bahia this summer and I am having trouble getting the up haul and downhaul lines on the tiller/rudder setup correctly. Could someone post a diagram or photo of what has worked for you.

Hey, I'm with my boat now, so I'll get you a pic if you still need them. But I think it's the exact same way a Laser 1's rudder is rigged, identical mentality. If there is one of those around, have a look.

Jib halyard damage;

This is the second time I am changing the jib halyard in 3 years on the Bahia. This one lasted just a few days. I am not doing something wrong and using original parts. But I think the block it's going over has a very low D/d ratio (block diameter/ wire diameter), and it's overstressing the wire as it's bending.

Does anybody else have problems with broken wire strands around the area of the block where the jib halyard enters the mast and turns a 180 towards the deck? I am about to get another replacement, but I think the only permanent solution would be to either replace the block with a bigger one, or replace the halyard with something like a 5mm amsteel dyneema line. For info, for running rigging, the recommended minimum D/d ratio for block/wire is I think 15, so this looks like a design problem.

I have absolutely no experience with the Bahia, but checked out the rigging manual and parts list for the fun of it. What struck me was the recommendation of max 70 kg of static shroud tension. That is very loose, so much so that the jib luff wire/halyard tension would be off the lower end of the scale of most tension meters. This in turn means that any problem with the jib halyard turning block has nothing to do with its diameter, but rather being broken one way or another. Boats with 3 or 4 times that tension have 25 to 30 mm sheaves up there, and they don't kill the wire.

You are spot-on... I've been positively overtensioning it :) The fact that lower tensions always make the lee shroud go very slack was unnerving, so I ended up pulling as hard as I can on the purchase system. Now, I'm a toned 210lb, so I guess I was probably putting a good 200kg in that rig.
I remember reading it when I first set up the rig, but probably completely forgot it.
Off to find someone who can make me the replacement parts... not so easy in rural Greece. At least there's a t-storm forecast for the next 3 days, so there would be no sailing anyway. Raki time!

The Bahia is a far better conceived package than the Omega imho, sounds like it would sort your purposes very well. As an accomplished capsiser and turtler I think rotomoulded boats do stand up to rough treatment better than other types of plastic.

Hello, I am considering buying a used Laser Bahia. I would buy it with a trolley -- but would need to find a road trailer for it. My understanding is that the boat with the trolley would go on top of the road trailer.

My intention is to sail the boat at a lake where there is a boat ramp -- but no crane.

My questions:

Is it possible to launch the Laser Bahia on a lake with only a boat ramp? (No crane)
What is the process for launching the boat? (assuming the setup I mentioned: road trailer + trolley + boat).
Do I back the road trailer down the ramp with the car?
will the road trailer go in the water? or do I need to remove the trolley and boat from the road trailer first?
Is it difficult to launch the boat with the trolley down the ramp? Could one person do it?

Also: if you have any advice on where the find the proper road trailer that would fit the Laser Bahia with its trolley, let me know.

Thank you.

Is it possible to launch the Laser Bahia on a lake with only a boat ramp? (No crane)
Of course.
do I need to remove the trolley and boat from the road trailer first?
Yes. That's the whole point of the separate trolley/trailer setup.
Is it difficult to launch the boat with the trolley down the ramp? Could one person do it?
No, and yes. However, it's easier with two people, with one taking care of the launched boat and the other of the trolley.

Putting the boat into the water doesn't require much strength (Isaac Newton is always there to help, even if you don't want it :D ), but it's the pulling a boat the size of a Laser Bahia (155 kg hull only) back up the ramp that takes at least two people, depending on the angle of the slope. But it's a double-(or triple-)handed boat anyway.

I've sailed Lightnings (318 kg minimum all-up) for more than 10 years now, and I always use a ramp (provided one is available at the regatta site) and muscle power only, both ways. Not once have I had to leave the boat in the water :cool:

Thank you! I was thinking there may be a way to back my truck with the road trailer all the way down the ramp and only then separate the boat and trolley from the road trailer. Then do the same on the way up... to avoid having to rely on muscle power alone.. especially in cases where I'm by myself.

Would this work? or is it required to separate the trolley and trolley from the trailer first, then manhandle the trolley and boat down and up the ramp?

Any suggestions on what to look for on a road trailer? any boat trailer that can fit a 15 ft boat? or are there other considerations given my objectives?

If you are going to back the truck and trailer down the ramp, then why mess with a dolly?

If you must move the trailer/dolly up and down the ramp, it depends on what is being used. It would probably work for these style trailer/dolly combos:

trailer_web.jpg

The dolly fits snug and secure in the trailer and attaches easily. These are popular in Europe, but not readily available in the US (I don't know where you are located).

More typically in the US will find something like the Right-On Trailer:

right-on_trailer_-_laser.jpg

It's secure once everything is tied down and you are cruising down the interstate. However, I would be unsure of using it to pull the boat out of the water without everything tied down 100%, the rig flopping in the wind etc. It's not as slick as the European trailer/dolly combos.

Laser Bahia owners,
I bought a used 2009 Laser Bahia this summer and I am having trouble getting the up haul and downhaul lines on the tiller/rudder setup correctly. Could someone post a diagram or photo of what has worked for you.
Sorry for joing this party a tad bit late... BUT... Believe it or not... I JUST purchased a BRAND NEW Laser Bahia here in Florida. The boat is perfect! However, I too am having difficulty finding ANY information on how to properly rig the Laser Bahia rudder. Apparently the way I did it out of the box is not working as it keeps popping back up and not staying all the way down. Can someone please send a detailed series of photos on how you have successfully rigged your rudder on your Bahia?

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!

Capt Jax

About the rope, there is one rope on new bahia, but end of this system used for lowering the rudder has a block in it in order to be able to pull on it harder.

Bahia is a terrific boat, this is my second season on it. I managed to use it without a motor, just rowing. On a river it is totally usable, even against river flow. Motor is going to give me the option to sail the portions of this river that is more distant than ones I am sailing right now. Boat is heavier than equivalent performance boat, but this is only to it's advantage since it is weather proof, very sturdy, "idiot proof".
When you get the hang of it, it is possible to rig it for under an hour single handed! You have my post describing capsizing, "child play"...

since my last posts I have tried trapezeing and this is so much fun even on the river, where you have to tack fairly often...

I am speaking from a point of view of a person that is not 100Kg bundle of muscles but a regular chubby guy weighing 85-90 Kg 176cm tall. I can use this boat in every aspect and handle it. Took it out in winds 12-16 m/s (ropes are whistling hanging in this wind) and also in breeze 2-3m/s with my wife, and it handles well in both situations. One rope reefing! One rope genaker...

I am not going to sell this boat any time soon! If anyone needs any help, just ask, also if you want to see some sailing gopro photos, I'll show it gladly...

P.s. there is a new version of this boat that does not have lower shrouds(my friend got one like that delivered) but I like mine better!

Regards
Miodraq -

Hi! Sorry I am a bit late to this conversation but hey, better late than never! I too have been having issues getting the rudder to cooperate and stay in the locked position. Do you happen to have any photos of how your rudder is rigged? I have a suspicion that mine is not rigged correctly or is missing something in the configuration. The main problem is that it keeps popping up and will not stay in the down position. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Captain Jackson
Satellite Beach, Florida

Sorry for joing this party a tad bit late... BUT... Believe it or not... I JUST purchased a BRAND NEW Laser Bahia here in Florida. The boat is perfect! However, I too am having difficulty finding ANY information on how to properly rig the Laser Bahia rudder. Apparently the way I did it out of the box is not working as it keeps popping back up and not staying all the way down. Can someone please send a detailed series of photos on how you have successfully rigged your rudder on your Bahia?

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!

Capt Jax
Capt Jax:

I live in Houston Texas and have been looking all over the country for a used Laser Bahia. Perchance do you know of someone who is interested in selling their Laser Bahia. I found a guy in Seattle (long way from Houston) and they turned out to be scammers "no title, no registration, send money now to hold the boat" Anyway I'm serious about buying for sailing on lakes North of Houston. I see you bought a new Bahia, do you have the dealers name.

thanks Ken Jenson

Capt Jax:

I live in Houston Texas and have been looking all over the country for a used Laser Bahia. Perchance do you know of someone who is interested in selling their Laser Bahia. I found a guy in Seattle (long way from Houston) and they turned out to be scammers "no title, no registration, send money now to hold the boat" Anyway I'm serious about buying for sailing on lakes North of Houston. I see you bought a new Bahia, do you have the dealers name.

thanks Ken Jenson
Ken, if you trouble finding the Bahia, have you looked into an RS Quest? I think they are similar and the Quest might be easier to find.

Back