Laser Autobailer not sitting flush

JLBennettCo

Need some help with this. Not sure if it was repaired in the past or what is going on.

What’s the original install look like? Is the clear semi-flexible “stuff” factory? If so, what’s its purpose and what is it? What’s the purpose of the small foam square? There seems to be a “drywall” anchor in the hole as well.

Even without the foam And the clear goo, it still doesn’t sit flush.

Attachments

• F83A4836-5E83-48CD-99E8-EAEE0EC0AEBE.jpeg
    F83A4836-5E83-48CD-99E8-EAEE0EC0AEBE.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 66CC10F1-93C7-4610-A13A-8AF6E035B61A.jpeg
    66CC10F1-93C7-4610-A13A-8AF6E035B61A.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 41612C26-B5DE-4E95-AF82-81EEF3BDF8E0.jpeg
    41612C26-B5DE-4E95-AF82-81EEF3BDF8E0.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 189F77A6-641C-4FE2-88F1-39D32F866428.jpeg
    189F77A6-641C-4FE2-88F1-39D32F866428.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 72
The original install looks very much like that. The clear stuff (which may be silicone sealant) is the only thing in those pictures that isn't "factory". The foam square is padding between the bailer itself and the grommet.

Even when correctly installed, the bailer doesn't necessarily sit flush, and it doesn't need to. If you want to fair the edge, use wide electrical tape.

(I somehow feel that this is not the answer you wanted, but that's how it is :rolleyes: )

_

Just answered my own question and hopefully this helps out. From the ILCA website. I do not think using electrical tape on the bottom of your boat is legal for racing as it would fair the flat surface of the bailer to the hull shape.
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.51.02 PM.png

Adding filler material like in that picture is obviously illegal. However, the same class rule 13 also says, "The bailer may be sealed with tape, filler or glue along its edge where it joins the hull and at the screw hole."

It may sound somewhat self-contradictory with "no fairing permitted", but that latter part of the rule (as I read it) is about permanent alteration of the shape of the bailer. (The boat in the above picture breaks also the Fundamental Rule by adding material to the hull as well.)

_

does anyone actually bother to do that at big events?
Oh, I don't know, haven't done it myself, and neither paid attention to others. The bottom line is that it's no big deal. If the bailer sticks out a mm or two is not going to hurt anyone.

_

A bigger issue for me is that not being flush means it can catch on things like the sling of a dolly, if your dolly uses a sling as mine does.

The bailer shouldn’t stick up that much above the hull like it is doing in your pictures. Usually when the screw is tightened the square piece of foam compresses and the bailer is pulled down flush with the hull. It is not uncommon to have an edge of the bailer ride slightly above fair on one side after the screw is tightened, But that is nothing to worry about.

Mine also rides somewhat high even when tightened. Probably about where yours is. I use white electrical tape to cover that leading edge only because I sail from a beach and no matter how smoothly I launch or land I get a bunch of grit stuck up in it (even one time bending up the leading edge of plastic a bit). If it were ever called into question at a race I guessyou could remove it. I doubt it makes a lot of difference underway, but I agree that to neurotic laser sailors such as ourselves it feels wrong.

Back