Class Politics Laser and the Apple iPhone

They are also using somebody else's name - "iPhone" is actually owned by Cisco (and used for a current product which is a type of telephone !!).
These days Apple have little regard for things owned by others. I think they think they are big enough to ignore such things.

Ian

Isn't the Laser logo identical to the international symbol for laser, as in laser beam? I'm no copyright lawyer, but it would seem to me that the logo is only protected as such if it is used in relation to a type of sailboat, but in other semantic relationships it's fair game.
Currently, Walmart and the originator of the smiley face are in court over whose intellectual property the smiley face is, so I guess the ILCA with all those big bucks saved up could use its financial clout to sue the hell out of anyone who even thought about using the laser symbol for anything! ;)

point, the laser symbol/logo has been on are sails since the 70's the class or manufacture must have some sort of pattent on it.

Cool there's some Apple fans around too :)

The Laser logo (our boat) is identical to the Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER) logo which dates back to the '50s.

Any laser pointer or CD reader/burner has a laser safety logo sticky inside. I think it can be openly used.

I don't doubt the builders may have a copyright of this symbol, but I doubt they have a legal case because they copy it from the original work developed at Bells Labs in the 60s. It was a nice find Wavedancer, fun indeed.

Concerning Deimos comments, you should check your references before giving such hard opinions. Cisco did not have the legal right to use the iPhone trademark, this was agreed by both Apple and Cisco a month back, this is the reason why both companies will have products with the iPhone name. I doubt, though, that Cisco will sell many. If there's a company out there that actually respects copyrights would be Apple, they have been hurt hard from many companies that did copy their stuff.

Even Apple and the Beatles have agreed on sharing the name after decades of litigation...

Just my two cents.

Concerning Deimos comments, you should check your references before giving such hard opinions. Cisco did not have the legal right to use the iPhone trademark, this was agreed by both Apple and Cisco a month back, this is the reason why both companies will have products with the iPhone name. ...

Actually I did check and what I said was true. When such disputes arrise the company who has the better claim will try and maximise the "deal" it can get from the other company. I has to balance profit against risk. Continuing to court is a higher risk but might generate a higher profit. Thus it often comes down to what sort of "deal" can be made before court.

It is all about money and not "moral high ground". Just because they came to a private agreement does not mean there was no dispute and that Cisco had no rights. I means that Cisco felt they got a better deal without going to court.

Ian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone

Check trademark dispute, Cisco's rights on the iPhone brand were slim even in the US. In other countries including EU and Japan were nonexistent. From the Apple iPhone announcement, most people knew Cisco statement was just a message for their shareholders that they were defending their rights, but negotiations were already taking place, and an agreement was coming. This is why Apple announced the product as iPhone, not because lack of principles, but because mutual benefit. It was all consensuated.

I don't plan to get one btw, but I enjoy my nerd side (as I do enjoy lasers).

But as a Windows, Linux and Apple user (scientist), I find apple less bullie than say, Microsoft.

For example, this week non-DRM music available in iTunes is a huge step forward for consumer. You would never see Microsoft doing such thing, renouncing to a market they created, and giving other's a chance to compete....

iPod owner and iTunes buyer ;-)

Have good winds this weekend.

Just my opinion which is, as usual, debatable.

Back