Laser 8:1 Vang

ChrisS

I am upgrading my kicker/vang to the 8:1 system shown in the image. My question is where do the loose ends with the loops go? All help much appreciated!

Attachments

• vangrig2.jpg
    vangrig2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 113
I used to use similar many years ago, now have the harken kicker. The system works fine as long as the cleat works well (mine used to fail at the most annoying moments!)

If you can afford it, the new vang is the single best upgrade you can make. However if you are on a budget, the setup in your picture is 1000% better than the old "stupid Laser rope tricks" vang setup.

I agree this is an improvement, but I think you'll find you want more puchase in the system when sailing in 15 knots or more... It's easy enough to increase it to 12-1 or 15-1 with a couple more bullet blocks mounting on the bottom V cleat, and a double or triple block in place of the upper single bullet... The diagrams should be on the same web page where you found the one above (as well as in some old threads here)

I know this is a bit off topic... but I keep seeing people refer to the boom vang as a 'kicker' - which I've never heard before coming here.

My understanding is that a boom kicker is a hydraulic ram used to forcibly LIFT the boom (the opposite of a vang... used in place of a topping lift) on larger sailboats.

What gives?

My first post...at the end of my first year sailing lasers...

I did the same 8:1 upgrade and it made a huge difference, hoping that Christmas will get me the pro..

But my problem is that I can't free line from the jam cleat. I've pulled my shoulder out tring to ease the line, particularly after rounding the windward mark and the boom is out which rotates the block (and cleat) 90 degrees away from me as I'm pulling on the line.

Any suggestions?

Back