Laser 4.7 for 110 pound teen?

Izzy_Vagell

I bought a used Laser earlier this summer and it came with both a radial and a full rig. I've been sailing the radial all the time and I love it, but I can't sail it in over 14 knots. I'm a 15 year old female and I weigh just over 110 pounds. I might start racing this winter or in the spring, but for now I'm just sailing it for fun. I hate to have to miss out on days with a really good breeze, but I sail on my own and I feel a little uncomfortable on windy days without other sailors around. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 4.7 rig if I might grow out of it in a few years. I've also had trouble finding a used 4.7 lower mast or sail online.

In short, I want to know if I should stick it out with the Radial or if I should try and find a 4.7 rig. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Yes, you would find a 4.7 great for those windier days.
There is a 4.7 lower mast for sale on this forum, and with a 4.7 sail of some kind (I mean legal or non-legal; used or new) you would be all set.

50 kg and 15 years, perfect for the 4.7 :) It's Radial time when those numbers hit 60 and 18 (whichever you reach first).

_

I bought a used Laser earlier this summer and it came with both a radial and a full rig. I've been sailing the radial all the time and I love it, but I can't sail it in over 14 knots. I'm a 15 year old female and I weigh just over 110 pounds. I might start racing this winter or in the spring, but for now I'm just sailing it for fun. I hate to have to miss out on days with a really good breeze, but I sail on my own and I feel a little uncomfortable on windy days without other sailors around. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy a 4.7 rig if I might grow out of it in a few years. I've also had trouble finding a used 4.7 lower mast or sail online.

In short, I want to know if I should stick it out with the Radial or if I should try and find a 4.7 rig. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
This is a good webinar that should give you some insight into the 4.7, the weight ranges for each rig, and the growing 4.7 fleet in North America.

and 18 (whichever you reach first).

Are you assuming that the 3 years of experience will allow her to advance to the Radial even if she is still the same weight? Just curious.

ProATC, it’s not only a matter of mass, but also policy: the 4.7 is intended as a U-18 class, and that is the age limit at the championship level. Whether that’s good or bad is another matter; I think it’s unnecessarily restricting.

So Izzy... if you’re still 50 kg two years from now, the Laser probably won’t be your class in the long run. A helming position on a doublehander might be your thing then :)
_

My kid raced here in Texas. Sell your full rig. Keep the radial and buy a 4.7. We would pick the rig based on the forecast for the regatta. If it was a coastal regatta and blow with big waves 4.7. Light on a lake, Radial. Don't buy a fish. Laser is the way to go! Lots of lightweights sail them!!!

Back