Laser 2 questions

Kwai

Hello I have recently boat a laser 2 and I have a couple questions.

1: The centerboard is really sticky that you have to use all your strength just to move it. I am just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there is any way to fix it.

2: The deck is very flexy and if I should get a fiber glassing guy to fix it or this is normal.

Note that this is not the laser 2 regatta it is the older hull.

Hi Kwai,

I may have more questions than answers :D

1: Someone may have switched the carpet to a thicker one. You can get the original stuff from here: Centreboard Carpet By the Inch
Some have applied the soft side of Velcro strips here with satisfactory results.

Is the centreboard itself smooth and clean? If it's swollen or has bumps due to its internal structure having gone crazy (which does happen), we'll talk more about that later. Otherwise you might just sand the surface very lightly, and then use something like Sailkote on it.

2: Depends on where it flexes and how much. The aft deck doesn't really matter, for instance. The foredeck is more critical, if it hurts the stiffness of the whole hull; it should be pretty rigid on the centreline. If it's a case of simple delamination, then the pro fibreglass people know what to do to it. If it's worse than that, then we can talk about that later, too...

this is not the laser 2 regatta it is the older hull.
What do you mean with this? How do "older" and "Regatta" differ? When did the change happen?

What is the number of your boat? (It's on the transom if this is, as I assume, a Canadian build.)

_

Hello LaLi thanks for getting back to me so fast. What I mean by the laser 2 regatta hull is the regatta hull has a spinnaker shoot and my boat does not. Also my boat does not have any centerboard carpet and I will be ordering it and that is probably the reason why my centerboard keeps getting stuck, I just need to know where the centerboard carpet goes.

For the deck of my boat the center is rigid and just not on either side. I was also just down at my sailing club and I felt the laser 2 deck that was there and it has the exact same issue. As of feeling that I don't think it is that much of an issue.

Thank you so much for responding and it has removed some stress of my shoulders.

Hello LaLi thanks for getting back to me so fast. What I mean by the laser 2 regatta hull is the regatta hull has a spinnaker shoot and my boat does not. Also my boat does not have any centerboard carpet and I will be ordering it and that is probably the reason why my centerboard keeps getting stuck, I just need to know where the centerboard carpet goes.

For the deck of my boat the center is rigid and just not on either side. I was also just down at my sailing club and I felt the laser 2 deck that was there and it has the exact same issue. As of feeling that I don't think it is that much of an issue.

Thank you so much for responding and it has removed some stress of my shoulders.
Mines fairly soft between the center line and edge..that's a big span for super thin material.

My dagger gets bound up occasionally and needs a wiggle to free sometimes. One has a big rope handle on it. You could try waxing it too. But they do get sorta stuck and need some wiggling to remove I've found.

Hello joe c does your centerboard get like really stuck. like is it got so stuck that you have to use like all you might to move it or is that just me.

Hello joe c does your centerboard get like really stuck. like is it got so stuck that you have to use like all you might to move it or is that just me.
Well.... I'm usually not in front, so...haha...but I've seen my guy really pulling in it. But he's figured out the wiggle and now has no issues. I'm pretty sure it gets racked fore and aft the wedged. I put new carpet in mine so it's a nice snug fit too. Wax might help.

oh ok where does the centerboard carpet go?
Inside of the trunk..so it lines the hole the board goes into to allow it to slide and help keep water out of the cockpit..I have a piece about an inch and a half wide that goes all of the way around the opening flush with the cockpit floor..same on the bottom. I found a carpet type welcome mat that was stupid cheap with a rubberized bottom..cut into strips and I just use 3m77 spray and it worked..been there a year now..slides nicely. But still prone to sticking.

Thanks last question where did you get the carpet and what is it called? Can I just use some fabric and attach it or does it need to be something special?

Thanks last question where did you get the carpet and what is it called? Can I just use some fabric and attach it or does it need to be something special?
I used a welcome mat I found at the local home depot, lowes, Canadian tire. I'm sure someone will chime in but fogh in Ontario carries the actual carpet. But I randomly found a welcome mat that had stripes about the size that was on the boat when I got it. It was like 10 bucks.

Here

Back