Laser 2 Mast Float

rubbish84

Does anyone know if there is a mast float (similar to that for a hobie cat) that can be used on a laser 2 to prevent the boat from turtling? If there is where would I buy one? I sail my laser 2 in a shallow lake with weeds and I've been finding when I dump the boat has been turtling and/or the mast is getting caught in the weeds.

you could make your own using a polystyrene ball. just make a whole the same size as the top of your mast. and push it on .... tie it? you could get a massive one and shape it so look more aerodynamic? this seems like a cheap and easy way of keeping it afloat. Or perhaps you could just modify a hobie cat one?

I am thinking about doing the same thing on my Laser. I think I am going to go with a water jug flied with air tied onto my sail.

I am thinking about doing the same thing on my Laser. I think I am going to go with a water jug flied with air tied onto my sail.

Did the same thing with my 470 for many years. I sailed on Galveston Bay, which is maybe 5-6 feet deep. The bottom is covered with muck that just attches itself to anything that comes in contact with it.

At first I was embarassed to sail with it. However after several people (including myself) flipped and broke their masts, most everyone started using mast floats. You simply tie it to the halyard before you raise te sail (obvioulsy won't work on a Laser). I suppose it caused some increased drag, but it was worth it so I could enjoy sailing in a breeze and not be afraid of capsizing.

Sometimes your pride isn't worth the cost of a new mast.

You could always just pickup one of the inflatable nylon buoyancy bags that they sell and tie it to your halyard (or to the webbing loop at the top of the laser I sail). It shouldn't cause any more windage than a polystyrene ball, and should be a lot less weight aloft. Even the smallest pillow bag with about 40 lbs of buoyancy should be enough to keep you from turtling.

Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e2110.asp

Personally I would just make an effort to land on the centerboard when you capsize.

So what size bag would be 40lbs buoyancy?
pie r round??
There are inflatable bags.
Close cell paddle floats.
What about one of those kids bounce balls with handles??
Yeah got mine stuck in Sabine Lake which is East of Galveston Bay, same bottom stuff.
Big lake that covers many square mile but the avererage depth is 8 feet, mud bottom.
Went out day before the last Hurricane... Wow what a thrill !!
It was the best wind Ive ever had. Im in love.
The sail was upwind, the bottom was being blasted by 10-15 knots and waves.
That sail turned into an underwater wing as it was being blown and set the mast into the mud. It must have been four feet or so in that stuff.
There was NO way to get that out of the mud by myself.
Trapped on the centerboard.
Felt like one of those Meerkats looking around.

Yeah I want a float next time.
And how much is 40lbs of floatation??
One jug or two :)

Gee thats a lotta bucket.
I wasnt thinking it would need that much ?
Any other ideas on size needed ?
Yeah I know~~ anything would be better than nothing, but really
would anybody have some idea of weight to flotation needs for the mast,
boom and sail ??
The flotation bag is good idea but most dont have attach points.
Theyre just not made for getting beat up like that.
How much flotation do you think this paddle float has?
http://www.rei.com/product/716881?c...ferralID=ef296994-6f03-11dd-a197-000423c27407

I think its 15x11x4

I think that a float is a good idea...

I am looking at them for my cat (i will probably use the empty plastic jug for my laser) and to give you an idea for size needed, here are some specs for:

1. Hobie Bob: displaces 60 lbs. and is for boat of size 17' - 21',
2. Baby Bob: displaces 32 lbs. and measures 1/2 cubic foot in volume and for boat of size 14' - 16',
3. Mama Bob: displaces 59 pounds of water (just under 1 cubic foot
in volume) and is for "Hobie Getaway".

src: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/08_12-13.pdf

Slimline design for opti:
http://www.jonti.co.uk/html/page_014.html

I have seen others which are similar to opti's slim design...

HTH

Well thats good info.
A half CF, "Baby Bob" would be 6x12x12.
Not too far from a milk jug.

The omni tubes are huge at 9 liters.
Bigger than Elsies jug.
Hmmn I live so far away theres no way to see before I buy.
Ill just have to try the jug I guess. If the wind is real good maybe I can try two.
If the wind hadnt been so high on us I dont think it would have been
a problem. It never has been before.

Because of the wind pressure on its tramp, not to mention the increased size and weight of both the boat and the rig, a Hobie Cat generates a *lot* more turtling force than a Laser.

I'd start with a single milk jug. 8lbs of floatation way out at the end of the mast, is a lot of righting moment.

Back