Laser 11 construction/repair

Bob Jolley

I own a very old Laser 11. I recently struck an underwater object with the centreboard. The board is wood and very tight. When it raised it ripped the fibreglass floor. The hull remaiined entact.

I am seeking advice on repair. Question: What type of repair would be stronger...Should I simply use some type of epoxy to glue the split areas back together..or should the damaged area be removed and built back up with fibreglass? Questrion: how tight should the centreboard be in the slot?

The deck and hull in my boat are still in good shape and quite stiff. The floor on the other hand is a little spongy in areas and showing signs of delaminating. I have noted wood fragments inside the hull. Can anyone explain the extent that wood is used in the construction and framing of the laser and what affect I can expect wood rot to have on the future of my boat?

Sorry, I am unable to supply photos at this time. I thank you very much for the advice.Looking at your photo, it is apparent there is some wook substructure involved. Can you advise to what extent wood is used under the floor. Is there specific bracing keeping the floor rigid, or does the design rely on the fibreglass? If I pull the mast forward on my boat, the floor raises somewhat in the middle. This doesn't appear to have affected recreational sailing...but I wondered if it was an indication of problems to come.

You mention that the damage is to the cockpit false floor and not to the hull itself.

I'm trying to imagine the type of contact you had that would damage the cockpit floor but not also damage the hull. If you hit hard with the centerboard, the force is backward and upward against the trailing edge of the center case and I'm guessing that it is this upward force that has damaged the cockpit floor such that it came away when you pulled the board up.

I'd be inspecting the hull-to-center case join very carefully too. The hull may not appear damaged from the outside, but I'm guessing there may be visible damage from the inside.

I sold my Laser 2 about four years ago, and it sounds as if it was a newer boat than yours - but in answer to your question about the tight fit of the centerboard, it should be snug, but should not require excessive force to move the board up and down when the boat is not on the plane.

Tks for getting back to me.You are correct in your assumption that the damage was caused when the centre board was knocked upward. It would appear the board rode over something float below the surface. The board was so tight that it caught the fibreglass on its way up..and subsequently ripped the floor. I will examine the hull as you have suggested and hopefully repair the floor with epoxy....

The trunk will always leak if you don't completely remove the cockpit floor around the broken trunk. Make a cut surrounding the area and lift it out, back grind/sand the under edge of the opening, and of the extracted under side of the area to repair. Make a epoxy repair to the broken trunk area, and create a lap underside joint to the opening extending 2inches under, with the soaked glass mat supported from below by cardboard with wires fed up through both the area to either side of the joint. You must have laid in epoxy filler on all the surface of the mating trunk surfaces first though, as this is where it will be critical for a dry hull. Once the cut out area is slid into place then pull the wires snugly with dowels diagonal to the big circle joint, and twist them tight. The joint will then be level to either side, and the trunk bond will be as factory original. Once the reinstalled cockpit floor is set up in this area, just cut the wires, pop of the diagonal dowels, and then smooth the squirted up resin, first with a grater for wood, and then rough wet sandpaper, before applying a glaze of epoxy putty to hide the large circular graft/scar joint. Probably 5-8 hr. job done right. Good luck!

Back