Large digital read out stop watch

rlupien

I would like to be able to look at the deck and easily view the countdown to the start of the race. Does anyone know where one can buy a large digital read out deck mounted stop watch? I do believe that I have seen them before but it never occured to me to ask, "Hey, where did you get that?"

i got this one. it is made for racing and the countdown is amazing. i highly recomend it.
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1948.asp
the watch is blue not grey or yellow as pictured.
it comes with a plastic piece that the watch clips into. you can attach the clip to your hand with the band it comes with, or screw it somewhere onto the deck. i put mine right at the tip of the splash gaurd and it works great for me. also the watch is removeable from the clip so you can leave the clip on your boat and take the watch :)
hope that helped

Nice watch but those things are $$$expensive$$$. I would believe there has to be a cheap $30 model out there that is nearly as good. Maybe something for track and field, etc. that is water proof.

Tim

If you find a cheap one let us know, but at the NAs probably 1/3 of the fleet had the ones from APS, and no one had a cheap version. Given that the Ronstan doesn't do much of anything different than a casio or ironman, it does seem expensive - maybe the fact they only sell a couple thousand while casio and ironman sell a couple million each year keeps costs high.

BB

The large watches come in versions by Optimumtime and Ronstan - but they are basically the same watch. They may seem expensive but have features specific to sailing that are hard to find, especially in combination, in cheaper watches.

a) large digits - so you can mount it on the boat and still read it easily.

b) pre-set starting sequences for all the popular starting rules.

c) a synch button. Let's say you are doing a 5,4,1,0 sequence - you are a bit late starting the watch at the 5 minute signal - just hit the synch button at the 4 minute signal and it will resynch with the correct time. This has saved my start on many occasions.

d) audible countdown that changes as you get closer to the start. You don't even need to look at the watch face during those last crucial 30 seconds - you can use your ears to get the timing right and use your eyes for more important stuff.

e) big start button that is easy to use with sailing gloves on.

I use a cheap count down timer from Radio Shack.

I have used various ones over the years, and they work fine! I also get the ones with two timers - this way if I miss the 5 minute mark, I can pick up on the other pre-set 4 minute mark.

They are cheap enough, that if they go to Davie Jones's locker, no big deal!

Dave

Radio Shack Timers

The radio shack models don't seem to be waterproof, but I like the price. I think the suunto ones are so expensive because they have the market cornered on large display and waterproof. Other companies can't sell enough to warrant making them. I searched a bit last week and came up with very little.

Tim

Regarding waterproofing the Radio Shack models:

We have run a strip of electrical tape around the outer seams - still going strong after 4 years!

This is a great deal for us low-budget sailors . . .

Dave :p

Back