News King of the Masters Crowned

oldfart

A total of seventy seven Laser Masters sailors competed in at least one of last week's three events sailed at Palm Beach Sailing Center, USSCMC at Jensen Beach, and Melbourne Yacht Club. Thirty nine sailors sailed all three. The competitors enjoyed a variety of conditions sailing a total of seven days in the Atlantic Ocean, Lake Worth, and Indian River Lagoon. Many of the sailors were competing in one or more of these regattas for the first time. Most everyone came away with positive experiences, with some of those who live in northern climates mumbling about leaving the 80 degree sunny weather on Sunday to return home to a less hospitable enviroment! While each event recognized individual winners, the overall winner, based on finishes in the three events, is recognized as King of the Masters. This crown carries with it a seminar and accommodations courtesy of Cabarete Laser Training Center. John MacCausland, of Cooper River Yacht Club, Collingswood, NJ, showed his skills sailing in conditions varying from light and shifty to full on breeze in the 20+ knot range, finishing out of the top ten in only three of 20 races, to claim the title based on impressive overall finishes of 2, 3 and 1 at the three events in very competitive fields.

congratulations to Johnny Mac!! having known him and raced against him since our teen years, this crowning is not a surprise. the guy's an awesome sailor. also, he's very open about sharing tips and advice. i only regret that i wasn't able to sail in at least one regatta, but that damn work thing screwed up my plans. definitely next year.
again, way to go King !!

I was going to ask this question to the top sailors at large, who were at the Masters Midwinters - but i'll start with the King I guess :)

On Sunday how did you have your boat setup for the upwind in the breeze and waves? In particular how much vang did you have on, just snug when 2-blocked or more than that?

I really struggled upwind, just couldn't keep the boat flat - but had so much fun I couldn't stop grinning going downwind and reaching. Best day sailing I think I've had!!

A big big thank-you to all who put on the show - at least from the perspective of the back of the fleet it was a first rate weekend!!

Back