keeping warm in cold water

CAN172033

I have some regatta's coming up slowly here in D3 and Lake Ontario is bloody cold mostly, as some of you have experienced.

Anyway, I want to know where I can get my hands on Fleece, FLEECE EVERYTHING, pants, long sleeve shirt, socks etc... or anything that keeps you warm. I'm really trying to think of stuff for my hands and feet/legs mainly, I have no problem with my body.

I have got some ideas, like Seal Skinz socks and gloves (dry not wet), but im unsure if they have lining in them, and want to get really cheap pair of fleece socks and gloves for them.

I have these canoeing pants that keep me dry as a bone on the legs but have no lining and want to get some warm pants (fleece like usual) to wear under them. I wear my hiking pants that are great but the knee down is exposed to cold air/water mix on top of the canoeing pants, and that's is no good.

I was reading about 49er sailors putting those ski partol heaters that are disposable in the boots, anybody know about that?

anything will be useful!

Are you insane to go into Lake Ontario at this time of year? Where you from?

He's not crazy he just knows how to have fun. Try going to MEC, Mountain Equipment Co-op, they have a lot of fleece type stuff and what you're looking for.

Good Luck

I dont sail in that cold water... but I find that the Gill "dry" gloves work really well. I used to get really cold hands, tried these and I was much much warmer.

They arent actually dry, but for some reason the fur lining seems to work very well anyway, much better than normal gloves.

I'm from Windsor Ontario.
I'm preparing for the hamilton OCR regatta "festival thing" and ice breakers regatta at tscc
thanks for the imput.

and heavy air and cold water go together perfectly!
until, your sick of it of course

Ah, I see. If you lived on Lake Ontario, I dont know if youd be seriously considering going in :D ! But hey, maybe some people like cold water.

UNDERARMOUR is the way to go!!!

Cold gear is the only option......it's what the pro athlete's use and it's phenominal......I've used it and it's the real deal.

The best is a dry suite with a thin cotton T, cold gear mock turtle # 0012 and then maybe a rash guard on top if your already not to warm. The best thing is your movement will not be restricted and the clothing with not hold water weight ....assuming your drysiute leaks and you get wet. Anything that generally is bulky....i.e....some fleeces will absorb water quickly and become VERY heavy and when it's cold and your trying to get back on your boat that's the last thing you want is to be pulled under by somthing you can't get off.........whatever you do get something that sheds water........hypothermia is no joke!!..:(

check out the link to order .....it's a little pricey but you'll probably have it forever.......I have the cold and warm.....keeps everything nice and tight.:)

It's been a while .....glad to be back..!!!!:D

I received a pair of SealSkinz water blocker socks as a early registration gift here in D11. I wear them whenever it is cold enough for boots. Your feet stay dry. I have stood in the shower after a day of racing, taken them off and they are still dry on the inside. They have a bit of fuzzy coolmax on the inside and you could add sock liners for warmth. They do look a bit dorky with shoes since they are black.

I use underarmor for soccer and it works extremely well. Yit should be tight so it traps in your body heat and it also keeps you somewhat dry unless you go swimming of course.

Back