Keeping the traveler down. Advice Needed!!!

usa318

Hello all,
I'm looking for some proven solution to keeping the traveler at the maximum leeward position. I have it set extremely tight (spectra) but in most conditions apart from full de-power mode with lots of vang on, it still rides up a few inches.

I found the following article which had some information that I wanted to verify here.. http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/skills/laser_clinic.shtml

"Technically speaking, you don't want the line defined by the traveler to be
tangent to the arc that the boom block describes, instead you want it to be a secant to this arc, i.e intersecting at two points . In absence of other forces, the traveler blocks tend to go to these points when the sheet is taut **). This can be accomplished by doing two things: 1-Make the loop with the traveler line so that the traveler blocks are ahead of the fairleads, and the bowline knot is aft (when there is no traveler tension). This is the opposite of what is normally done. 2-Move the eyestrap of the boom block aft (class rules allow this, within certain margins)"

I don't understand why I would move the traveler line forward of the deck eyes, but then move the main-sheet boom block aft... seems to cancel each other out. Any advice or other tips is greatly appreciated.

I don't understand why I would move the traveler line forward of the deck eyes, but then move the main-sheet boom block aft... seems to cancel each other out. Any advice or other tips is greatly appreciated.

You're trying to line up the traveler with the mainsheet blocks so you want to move the blocks back as far as possible and the traveler as far forward as possible. Will not make much of a difference though.
E

The diameter of rope can sometimes affect the blocks position. Using a nice thick dyneema (e.g. around 8mm) it might help keep your block at the far ends of the line. :)

The thicker diameter rope will also keep the rope in the cleat. - I'm not too sure if your problem is the block riding up, or the traveller rope. :)

You're trying to line up the traveler with the mainsheet blocks so you want to move the blocks back as far as possible and the traveler as far forward as possible. Will not make much of a difference though.
E
So the idea is to move the traveler fairleads as far forward as allowed and the boom strap for the block aft?

So the idea is to move the traveler fairleads as far forward as allowed and the boom strap for the block aft?
Don't think it's legal to move anything but if you are building a boom from a top section that would be the idea. And running the traveler line forward of the fairleads would move it a bit.
E

Mine is just a basic rooster traveller (the non-dyneema one) and I have never had this problem.
All I do to keep it at the corner is put a foot below the cleat and pull on the rope and push with my leg to get as much tension as possible.

Don't think it's legal to move anything but if you are building a boom from a top section that would be the idea. And running the traveler line forward of the fairleads would move it a bit.
E

This is the phrase I don't understand--running the traveler line forward of the fairleads. There are two traveler fairleads on the deck, and it seems possible to rig them only one way. What do you mean by running the traveler line forward of the fairleads?

To the original poster, I can easily get my traveler line so tight that the boom blocks have trouble passing over the tiller in lighter air. I'm able to do this by tying the ends of the lines in a knot before they enter the cleat, rather than using one end as a turning point/loop and threading the other through it. I haven't noticed that the mainsheet rides up the traveler line. Perhaps I'm not that observant.

This is the phrase I don't understand--running the traveler line forward of the fairleads. There are two traveler fairleads on the deck, and it seems possible to rig them only one way. What do you mean by running the traveler line forward of the fairleads?
There are two sides to the traveler line. Rigged normally you have the "traveler line" (where the blocks run) aft and the "pulling line" forward.
You can also rig the "traveler line" forward of the fairleads and the "pulling line" aft (and then under the traveler line forward to the cleat).
It was more popular 20 years ago. Haven't seen any recently.
I do not rig it this way; would send you a picture to explain but I am traveling. Sorry if I can't make it clearer.
E

There are two sides to the traveler line. Rigged normally you have the "traveler line" (where the blocks run) aft and the "pulling line" forward.
You can also rig the "traveler line" forward of the fairleads and the "pulling line" aft (and then under the traveler line forward to the cleat).
It was more popular 20 years ago. Haven't seen any recently.
I do not rig it this way; would send you a picture to explain but I am traveling. Sorry if I can't make it clearer.
E

After reading your explanation 3 times, I finally get it. Thanks, Emilio.

Back