Keeping the sail out

ysail

I know I've seen it but can't find it. So need to ask. In very light wind how do I keep my sail out going down wind? I thought there was a way using bungee cords. Maybe using the sheet somehow? or the halyard? A description would be great, even better a link to pics or video.

I use a length of bungee line - it connects to my daggerboard (so it acts as a daggerboard retaining line, too), then I run it forward around one side of the mast, and loop it through the tack of the sail, then back around the other side of the mast, and tie it back to itself at the daggerboard. I'll see if I can find a picture...

you can kind of see it in this picture - the yellow line is the bungee.
1st-sail-in-new-sunfish1.jpg

I know I've seen it but can't find it. So need to ask. In very light wind how do I keep my sail out going down wind? I thought there was a way using bungee cords. Maybe using the sheet somehow? or the halyard? A description would be great, even better a link to pics or video.
Paddle substitutes for a "Whisker-pole":

Before I hooked up my bungee cord, I cut small notches into each end of a short paddle, and used it to hold out the boom—while bracing the other end on the daggerboard. Tensioning the mainsheet would snug it in place. (Although Velcro at each contact would've helped).

Back